Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat has become fearful

mfrog
June 29th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Cat seemed fine this morning, let her out as usual. She didn't come back for breakfast, so I went to call her, she wouldn't come as usual.
She is slinking around the yard, hiding, like she's scared, she won't even come to us. She's 10 years old, always been in good health.
If we can convince her to come near us we will take her to the vet's. In the meantime, can any of you shed any light on her behavior? Could she have eaten something that caused her hallucinations, etc?
TIA,
Dee

bendyfoot
June 29th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Anytime a usually friendly, social cat starts hiding and acting out, I'd certainly be concerned that some type of medical problem is at play. I personally wouldn't suspect hallucinations, just discomfort or illness. Catch your kitty and get him to the vet...and try to think back if there have been any other changes...eating, drinking, litter box, behaviour...anything to help the vet make a diagnosis. Be prepared for tests.

sugarcatmom
June 29th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Could there be another cat around that's intimidating her? Is it possible that she got hurt by something (dog? car? mean kids?) while she was outside? It could be that she's in pain, or perhaps traumatized by a scary incident. I'd be trying to catch her as soon as you can, but also be very careful/gentle handling her because you just don't know what might have happened.

I hope she's okay!

mfrog
June 29th, 2007, 03:57 PM
I feel a bit silly, but just to update. The smoke detector in the basement was beeping & we didn't realize, but I guess she sure did. I finally convinced her to come in, & within half an hour, she is back to her normal happy self.
It's amazing what we think is just a little thing, but to an animal it is quite freaky.
Thanks for all your help,
Dee & (Victoria, the cat)

badger
June 29th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Oh that is so interesting, I'm glad you figured it out.
I can remember lying in bed with my Siamese and the smoke detector was beeping every 15 seconds, which means the battery is getting low; finally I had to knock the detector open with a stick and remove the battery, the cat was a wreck (and me not far behind).
Her universe is now unfolding as it should.

sugarcatmom
June 29th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Phew! That's a relief that it wasn't something more serious. Cat's are such sensitive creatures, aren't they?

krdahmer
June 29th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Glad to see this ended up well... :)

See she heard the smoke detector and was keeping you outside... smart kitty!;)