Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Problem

Molly's mommy
June 29th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Sorry I'm new here. I posted on the wrong page... I'm having a problem with 8 week old yellow lab, Molly. We've had her for 2 weeks and love her dearly. She has settled in well, loves her crate and seems to have adjusted to all but one of our cats. But she barks and nips at my 13 year old daughter. She will listen to me when I tell her to stop but she won't listen to my daughter. It's pretty annoying. Otherwise she's very sweet and she doesn't do that with me. Any suggestions? I'm afraid of this behavior escalating as she gets bigger and my daughter wants to enjoy her too.

Melinda
June 29th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Molly isn't seeing your daughter as "above" her, does your daughter take part in training her? if so, have her take a more active role, also have your daughter sit in a small chair, bowl of dog kibble on her lap and hand feed the pup, let her do this for each feeding for a few days, Molly will eventually understand that your daughter is higher up on the ladder than she is and that she is the supplier of food. I did this with my labX pup and my daycare children ranging in age of 2 yrs up to 6 yrs and Brina (dog) will take commands from each one of them. Good luck, and have patience

LavenderRott
June 29th, 2007, 10:42 AM
First off - she should have stayed with her mom and littermates until she was 8 weeks old. It is amazing the things that they learn in just that 2 week period.

She is 8 weeks old and she wants to PLAY!!!! Sad fact of life is that puppies play with their mouths. They don't have hands, so everything goes in their mouths!:D

At this stage, it really doesn't have much to do with whether or not your daughter "out ranks" her. It is all about PLAY.

Take your daughter and your pup to a local pet shop (please keep your puppy off the floor and socializing to a minimum as she hasn't had all of her shots yet) and let the two of them pick out 2 or 3 smallish toys. Then, have your daughter keep them handy.

Then - when the puppy bites her, she can tell the puppy "no bite" and give her a great toy! So long as you and your daughter are consistant and don't get frustrated and yell at her - she should learn what she can bite and what she can not.

Molly's mommy
June 29th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Molly isn't seeing your daughter as "above" her, does your daughter take part in training her? if so, have her take a more active role, also have your daughter sit in a small chair, bowl of dog kibble on her lap and hand feed the pup, let her do this for each feeding for a few days, Molly will eventually understand that your daughter is higher up on the ladder than she is and that she is the supplier of food. I did this with my labX pup and my daycare children ranging in age of 2 yrs up to 6 yrs and Brina (dog) will take commands from each one of them. Good luck, and have patience

I thought maybe Molly was thinking of my daughter as a litter mate. She does take part in training her but she gets down on the floor and plays with her too and takes her for walks and still gets the same response. Feeding her with a dish of kibble we will try. Thanks for the suggestion, Melinda:thumbs up

pags
June 29th, 2007, 03:58 PM
I may be wrong -- and I know someone will definitely tell me if I am :D But we don't allow any of our kids to get down on floor level with our dogs. ESPECIALLY a new dog. They can play and walk and train and love and hug and pet... but never at eye level with the dogs -- and we always have believed this to be most crucial when bringing a new puppy into the 'pack'.

The kibble idea is excellent... and it might help to actually let your daughter control feedings for a while too. All of our kids take turns feeding the dogs for a couple of weeks each.

Molly's mommy
June 29th, 2007, 04:03 PM
First off - she should have stayed with her mom and littermates until she was 8 weeks old. It is amazing the things that they learn in just that 2 week period.

She is 8 weeks old and she wants to PLAY!!!! Sad fact of life is that puppies play with their mouths. They don't have hands, so everything goes in their mouths!:D

At this stage, it really doesn't have much to do with whether or not your daughter "out ranks" her. It is all about PLAY.

Take your daughter and your pup to a local pet shop (please keep your puppy off the floor and socializing to a minimum as she hasn't had all of her shots yet) and let the two of them pick out 2 or 3 smallish toys. Then, have your daughter keep them handy.

Then - when the puppy bites her, she can tell the puppy "no bite" and give her a great toy! So long as you and your daughter are consistant and don't get frustrated and yell at her - she should learn what she can bite and what she can not.

I agree she would have benefited by staying with her sibs and mother for two more weeks but it wasn't possible so please don't be too hard on me. Yes, I know she wants to play. She has a ball, a Kong, a rope bone, two stuffed toys, a "blankie" and a chew bone. We do the "no bite" and give her toys consistently, and still she listens to me and not my daughter even though my daughter, from day 1, has played an active role in training.

want4rain
June 29th, 2007, 04:28 PM
so some of my thoughts on the matter (and take it as you will, ive had several but only been activ e in training ONE dog)....

i have a labX pup and a 8yo daughter and a 15mo old son. some of the things we did that i suspect helped were these-

handfeeding Mister exclusively for the first few months. Cailyn had a HUGE role in feeding him. as a matter of fact she accidentally (sort of) taught him to sit, lay down, and stay in her meanderings in handfeeding him. and she is really *not* a dedicated kid!!! LOL!!

no tug of war!! from what i understand tug of war is a way for a dog to learn to dominate. somethign about stealing from a packmate.

Cailyn also kinda looms. maybe that helps?? she doesnt mean to loom over things but she does anyway.

Mister and Jeffrey are a different story. he sees Jeffrey as a lesser more delicate pack mate. Jeffrey can crawl all over him, tug his tail (although i suspect with Misters size he doesnt feel it), pick at his teeth/nails/paws/white spot and not care one bit. they have a sort of symbiotic relationship. Mister entertains Jeffrey, Jeffrey supplies half of Misters food. :)

im rambling... does that help at all??

-ashley