Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

are female kittens more vocal?

dmc123
June 28th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Wow! With these 4 new babies I have in my house, I have a question.

This new bunch of siblings brought me two males and two females. The two females are so vocal and demanding, and the boys are very laid back. The boys do meow, but you only hear it if it is quiet, which is hard to find here with so many critters.

Are females louder - more vocal?

Diane

Frenchy
June 28th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Years ago when I adopted my 2 cats (one male , one female) the female was extremely indenpendant. And I don't remember her talking too much. They have both past away since, now I have Monsieur le chat and he can't shut up :laughing: :shrug:

ancientgirl
June 28th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I've got a male and female. Vlad hardly ever meows, only when he wants something and when I get home to greet me. Oksana is the most vocal, meowing at me whenever she sees me eating something she wants. Or when I'm in the shower, when I'm at the computer and she wants up, when I'm putting my make-up on and she wants up.

Vlad is more laid back, but also the most outgoing. He's the designated guest greeter. Oksana is very shy, she even backs away and runs from me sometimes. I don't know if she's like that because she's a girl or maybe its just that since she feels dominated by Vlad she feels she should be submissive towards everyone.

dmc123
June 28th, 2007, 09:02 PM
It is amazing how different they all are. These guys all love attention, but when they want it....

The girls are more vocal, the boys more independent and quieter,but the boys do pick times to get close to us.

They are fun.

Diane

CyberKitten
June 28th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I have rescued kittens from whenI was very young (my grandmother was a "cat person with feral colonies before we called them that) and while I have never conducted a study, my own experience with hundreds of kittens and cats tells me there is no difference between the genders. There are differences among breeds - I have 2 Siamese for example and if they are upset (esp one of them), I am sure they can hear her in Massachusetts (I live in Nova Scotia).

So, is it possible some of the kittens have some Siamese in them and some do not? Or other breeds that are talkative as well - tonkinese for example and there are others. And some cats are just more communicative.

Kittens are so cute though so enjoy them while they rae this age - it goes by so fast, sigh!

krdahmer
June 29th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Kittens are so cute though so enjoy them while they rae this age - it goes by so fast, sigh!

Oh I so agree, I watched 4 out of my six from kittenhood (Asker I actually snatched while she was sleeping in a tree- she was smaller than my hand!), developing their own little personalities. I have girls and boys that are vocal and one or two you rarely get a peep out of. They use their voices for attention, treats, to tell me the tap is not on (Fagan gets kinda demanding in a very cute way :rolleyes: ), I swear they talk to each other and announce that the litter boxes are occupied! :laughing: I find though that the more you 'talk back' when they do communicate the more they will continue to talk to you.

I'm so happy you get to enjoy kittenhood, it's so precious to watch their personalities come out. :love:

rainbow
June 29th, 2007, 12:03 AM
I also have never noticed a difference in meowing between a male and female cat. I think it has more to do with their individual personalities. :cat:

PetFriendly
June 29th, 2007, 05:46 AM
I also have never noticed a difference in meowing between a male and female cat. I think it has more to do with their individual personalities. :cat:

Agreed, it depends on the cat, not the sexe.

marsupial mama
June 29th, 2007, 06:59 AM
I have only ever known female cats, the ones I remember my mom having when I was a kid were pretty quiet. My own kitty has a lot to say I think she must have some meezer blood in the mix.

heather17021977
June 29th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Mine used to chirp when they were really little, not meow. It was so cute. Molly is more vocal now and she's really affectionate since Bruno came. Stewie sleeps right beside me every night now, and Molly is constantly looking for love rubs.

It's funny how they keep changing the older they get.