Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello, and advice needed on cat blindness

wendyannca
June 28th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Hello, I'm Wendy and I live with three cats, one of whom is going blind. We were very slow to figure this out because she has concealed it so well, mostly staying indoors and knowing her environment very well, and not having any visible changes in her eyes. But a few accidents happened recently which make her blindness clear. I took her to the vet--and here's the problem, I have no confidence in the vet. The vet has tested the cat for diabetes and thinks she might have the beginnings of cataracts, but she made some pretty basic errors with my cats--including not calling me back for a week about the diabetes test results. The preliminary on-the-spot glucose test for the cat tested normal, the more definitive test cost $30 and takes only a day to give results (except they haven't been communicated to me.) The cat probably doesn't have diabetes. I just followed up and phoned the vet about the second test--again was told to wait because they were busy, would call me back. How can I find a vet who understands cat eye problems, and what should I expect a vet to do to diagnose this problem? I am suffering along with my pet...I feel terrible that this condition has been onsetting for months and we didn't realize it.

lilmegshepherds
June 28th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Welcome to the forums

sugarcatmom
June 28th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Hi Wendy,

Sorry to hear about your cat's eye problems. It sounds to me like you should try to get a referral to a veterinary opthamologist. There are a number of things that can cause blindness in cats, but cataracts from diabetes is actually pretty rare (dogs, on the other hand, are very prone to this, so maybe your vet thinks cats are small dogs :frustrated: ). You would definitely be noticing other diabetic symptoms (excessive drinking/peeing, losing weight) by now if that was the case.

How old is your cat? One very common cause of vision loss is high blood pressure. All "elderly" cats should have their blood pressure checked annually, but many vet clinics don't have the proper equipment. Hypertension is usually caused by something like hyperthyroidism or kidney failure although it can also be a stand-alone issue in some cats.

There are lots of other tests that can be done to narrow down what's going on with your girl so I would for sure recommend finding another vet. That's pretty poor for your current one to keep you hanging like that!

Good luck!

rainbow
June 29th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Welcome to the forum. I am very sorry to hear about your cat's blindness. :sad: I would definitely go to a different vet. Where abouts in Montreal do you live? There are lots of members here from Montreal and I'm sure someone will be along to welcome you and refer you to a good vet. :)

wendyannca
June 29th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Thanks for your supportive replies. I live north of Laval Island, about 30 mins from Montreal, and would be glad to transport my cat to a good vet. I spent time looking for one close by a couple of years ago and thought I had found one, but on return to the clinic things had changed. I will try to find a vet who can take Molly's blood pressure. By the way, sorry for posting this on the wrong forum, this was supposed to be an intro but I'm distraught about this & it took over. Again, thanks to you, what a great group of animal-lovers!

chico2
June 29th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Wendy,I can feel your frustration and I hope you can find a good vet.
There are a lot of members here from the Montreal area,who can hopefully give you a name of a good experienced vet.
I had a diabetic cat for many years and he never had any sightproblems,it seems your vet is doing alot of guessing.:frustrated:
Even if your kitty has to remain blind,it is very upsetting,but she would still be able to live a good life,especially with her loving owner.
Hopefully though,something can be done about it.:pray:

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Welcome to the forum, wendyannca! Sorry it's under such worrisome circumstances for you.

I hope someone from your area can recommend a good vet for you soon! :fingerscr

rainbow
June 29th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Where are all you Montrealers when we need you? :fingerscr :D