Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Just a Quick Question

russte
June 28th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Our daughter just moved home with her dog Kyuss (mixed breed) and our 2 girls (goldens) have welcomed her in our home without too much trouble, except one thing she keeps licking out their mouths and their teeth, and they really don't like very much and they do growl and show that they don't want any of that going on! I might add that their teeth are very clean and there is no plack build up, what do you guys make of this?? Could it be some sort of submission on Kyuss's part.Thanks for you input:confused: russte

jessi76
June 28th, 2007, 03:57 PM
I witnessed this w/ my own dog just yesterday! another dog he was hanging out w/ all day was doing it to him - licking his teeth and mouth. My dog really didn't mind all that much, and when he'd had enough, he made it clear. got up and walked away or started rough-housing w/ the other dog (who was a bit smaller than him). I'm not helping to answer your question though... sorry! the other dog was VERY submissive w/ my dog though, so maybe that does have something to do with it. (that's my guess anyways)

SableCollie
June 28th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Yeah, it can be an appeasement gesture, or a greeting from puppies/young dogs to older dogs. Usually the dog will be wagging tail excitedly and holding their body lower than the other dog while they (almost frantically) lick the other dog's mouth. With wolves (and some dogs do it still) the puppies will rush to greet the adults coming back from a hunt and lick their mouths--this stimulates the adults to regurgitate meat for the pups to eat.