Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What's considered too rough for kitten play?

heather170277
June 28th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Hi again,

Stewie and Bruno play wrestle all the time, but sometimes he has Bruno meowing by pinning him down or biting his neck too hard. Molly and him like to corner Bruno...what's too much, what should we worry about?

ancientgirl
June 28th, 2007, 12:03 PM
I've had a tough time with my two on play fighting as well. For the most part, they get along very well, and are quite protective of each other when I'm doing something to them.

Vlad is bigger than Oksana, and stronger, so I don't get involved until I see she's meowing and trying to get away. I then make a loud noise, that gets Vlad's attention and gives Oksana time to slip away and allow things to calm down a bit.

She usually comes out of her little hiding spot and immediately attacks and they go at it again. Sometimes Oksana isn't in the mood and just runs away from him. I have seen her chase him around the apartment, and there are times when she's just nipping at him and licking his head that he'll just sit there and allow her to do it, so I'm guessing they've begun to work things out.

I'm thinking the loud noise to distract them technique may be a good thing to try. At night, when I'm in bed and I hear them fighting, I squirt them both then quickly put the bottle away and pretend I'm sleeping. They separate immediately, and things calm down after that.

heather17021977
June 28th, 2007, 12:20 PM
I'm just worried for when we start to leave Bruno out with them when we aren't home. They scare him sometimes when they both start to corner him. He looks at me like "get me outta here ma!" LOL

I dont trust them yet with him but he wants to be with them instead of in the room by himself.

marko
June 28th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Hi Heather,

We put out a pet tip on this very subject a while back.

http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-17.htm

Hope it helps!

Thanks

Marko

ancientgirl
June 28th, 2007, 12:30 PM
OH, i know that look well. When I got Oksana, I kept her in my room alone for a week, they were separated. I'd take turns in the evening playing with both of them, and then I'd put Oksana in the carrier and would bring her in the living room, just to get Vlad used to seeing her and sort of sniff at her, and allow her to do the same.

After about a week, I took her out and just carried her, but still let Vlad get close to her. He'd pounce now and then, but I'd cover her. After about another week, I allowed her to be lose. Man, they scrappled and she let out some scary screams, as soon as she'd start to scream, I'd get ready to separate them and she'd run away and hide where he couldn't get to her. This went on for a few days, until one day Vlad was chasing her and she ran towards the water dish, HIS water dish and began to drink out of it. OMG, I thought he'd have a fit, but you know, he just sat there and left her alone. Then I started noticing her stick her little head to drink at the same time he did, and he left her alone.

Since you have two, it will probably take you longer I'm guessing. How much older are your other kitties than Bruno? My two are only maybe 3 weeks or 4 weeks apart. I brought Oksana home about a month after Vlad. From what I've read sometimes it takes several weeks to get them used to each other.

Do you have like a closet you can go into with him, and let the others wait for you outside? If they can touch each other's paws from underneath, its a safe way to let them play without him getting hurt. But its a good idea to be around in case things get rough.

pags
June 28th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Wow - the tips from the site are great! (Thanks, Marko!) Our three kitties spend most of their free time ganging up on one another -- but they do so in ever-changing combinations... So now I know they really are playing. :)

When they were younger I used the pringles-can-full-of-rocks as a noisemaker to break them up when things got out of hand.

heather17021977
June 28th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Stewie and Molly are both just over 5months old and Bruno is just 11 weeks so a HUGE difference and age and size. Poor fella. They all share food and water dishes fine and toys as well. It's just when they start to play with him I think they forget how much bigger they are. When Stewie and Molly play fight, it's pretty even as they are the same size and strength. Stewie's paw is half the size of Bruno's face...

I guess until he gains some weight or grows, he'll have to be on his own. t least I know he's safe in there. Before we are going out, I try to tire him out so he sleeps while we are gone and then we bring him out when he get home. So far he's been ok for 8 hours while we are at work...I guess cats so sleep alot during the day.

ancientgirl
June 28th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Yeah, Vlad is in his 4th month now, and I'd say Oksana in her third, and she's half his size. I know he probably just doesn't know how much bigger and stronger he is than her. But I do see it as a good sign when they don't mess with each other at the food station or the litter box.

Not long ago, I heard bells coming from the other room and heading my way. I thought, oh great he's chasing her again. LOL, imagine my surprise when SHE was chasing him! That's when I knew that slowly but surely things were getting worked out. He does let her be the boss at times. That seems to be the way cats play. One thing I have noticed, is Vlad HAS to use all toys or anything new first. And whenever I clean the litter box, he's got to be the first one to use it. I'm guessing that too is just the way to keep the hierarchy established.

I'm sure he's fine when you leave him alone for now. I left Oksana in my room alone when I first got her. I left her with some toys, food and water. She had plenty of space and she could still hear Vlad on the other side of the door. And once Bruno gets a little bigger he'll get a bit more solid and things will be easier.

heather170277
June 28th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Yea thats true. They dont fight at the litter box but sometimes Molly will chase him out of them...we have two in our basement in the same area for now (until they are out of the I-need-to-put-everything-in-my-mouth phase LOL) then one will go in the laundry room.

Since hubby has been sleeping with Bruno in the spare room, the other two have taken to sleeping right beside me which they didnt used to do, maybe by my feet if I was lucky. Stewie wakes me every morning for work with a nice paw tapping to my face :) Molly just attacks my feet under the duvet.

ancientgirl
June 28th, 2007, 03:07 PM
LOL, do yours sometimes just sit in front of each other and do nothing? Sometimes I'll be watching TV and realize I haven't seen or heard them in a while, and I'll walk to the kitchen or the bathroom and find them sitting there just kind of watching each other.

Vlad used to always sleep in a spot right next to my head. When I got Oksana, he stopped, and started sleeping in a little bed on the floor, and Oksana took his spot. Now, lately, he'll start the night sleeping on his little bed on the floor, but then at some point at night, jump up on the bed and snuggle up next to me, or on top of me, purring until he falls asleep.