Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Drooling

dianajs
June 28th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I have a Beagle/Australian Shepherd mix that just turned 5, that has just started drooling almost all of the time. He used to drool once in a great while when he was waiting for you to feed him. His left side lip hangs a little and he had drool hanging out. He also has started scratching and biting his feet, butt and tail. He is prone to ear infections and we have medicine that we have been treating the ear infections with and that seems to keep it under control. He didn't start itching until I had put a flea collar on him. I am wondering if maybe he was bit in the lip and that may be the problem. His mouth looks fine. He acts normal in every other way.
Do you have any ideas of what it could be?

Thank you,
Diana

Hunter's_owner
June 28th, 2007, 11:48 AM
He may be having a serious reaction to the flea collar.

Please remove it immediately and take your dog to the vet!!!

dianajs
June 28th, 2007, 11:54 AM
I have had this type of collar on him before, could he have developed a allergy to it after having it on him many times before? I had removed the collar and given him a bath and it seemed to help a little with the itching.

Hunter's_owner
June 28th, 2007, 12:24 PM
I think he could develop an allergy yes.

Is he still drooling??? I would be concerned about this and I really do think you should contact a vet about it.

dianajs
June 28th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Yes, he is still drooling and I have left a message for the vet to get back to me. Thank you for your advice.

rainbow
June 28th, 2007, 06:42 PM
It sounds like he was having a reaction to something. If it wasn't the flea collar could he have got into something? Maybe a plant in the garden? Have you seen your vet yet?

dianajs
July 2nd, 2007, 08:50 AM
The itching seems to be getting better. Have not had a chance to take him to the vet because my son was in a car accident. He will be ok. I left a message for the vet but they did not return my call.

rainbow
July 2nd, 2007, 06:44 PM
Sorry to hear about your son's accident and glad he will be okay. :grouphug: I would give your vet another call asap. Is he still drooling? Has he lost any fur from the scratching ad biting? I really think he needs to see a vet. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

dianajs
July 3rd, 2007, 08:12 AM
No, he has not lost any fur from the scratching and the drooling seems to be mostly when we are eating. The scratching is much much better. I am still waiting for the vet to return my call. I called again yesterday and told the person that answered the phone my dogs (Sparky) symptoms and they said he would call back.