Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pee Is Killing All My Grass!!

want4rain
June 28th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Mister's pee is killing all of my grass. we are feeding him raw meat/bones and the occasional 'other' mix of veggies/dairy/grain. what parts of his diet would cause the high acid urine? can/should we try to change that? we dont have much grass lrft... not that we had much to begin with. :frustrated:

-ashley

joeysmama
June 28th, 2007, 09:24 AM
We keep an old pitcher just outside the back door. When we take Cooper out for a piddle we fill the pitcher first. Then as soon as he's done we pour water on the spot and that has really helped to save the grass this year !!

want4rain
June 28th, 2007, 09:50 AM
ive read a little (*LITTLE*) about crystals... are they connected?

-ashley

ChancesMom
June 28th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Heartworm meds will do this.

The best thing to do is to use the same spot all the time... Maybe put down some sand or gravel in a specific area for your dog to use.

luckypenny
June 28th, 2007, 09:10 PM
A common problem with most dog owners I would think.

Try over-seeding with clover. It's resistant to urine burns, doesn't need to be mowed or watered, and remains green throughout the seasons. I no longer worry about brown spots on the lawn...kind of goes with the doggy hair, drool, and muddy paws...we've learned to live with it :) .

want4rain
June 28th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Heartworm meds will do this.

The best thing to do is to use the same spot all the time... Maybe put down some sand or gravel in a specific area for your dog to use.

:laughing:

he has a WHOLE BOAT LOAD of mulch he can pee on, weeds he can pee on... nope, likes my little tiny 10'X10' patch of grass..... i tried nicely asking him to pee somewhere else and he did.... and then stepped in it and looked at me like 'see mom, this is why i pee over there' *sigh* so i put lawn chairs in the way. maybe he will find the patch of weeds i let grow?? hardly. :)

-ash

ChancesMom
June 30th, 2007, 06:28 PM
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/hahaha-024.gif

I didn't realize that he went out on his own... that does make it more difficult!

Maybe if you install a dog hydrant or pole, something that he would want to pee on?

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Cats_and_Dogs/3dog-bone.gif

want4rain
June 30th, 2007, 06:52 PM
:rolleyes: he squats.

he is peeing on my weeds now. i noticed a bunch of dead ones. ill let him have the grass if he kills more weeds than grass. :laughing:

-ashley

breeze
June 30th, 2007, 09:27 PM
I believe (if my memery serves me) that if you put a small amount of powered milk on the food it should make the pee less strong and then would not kill your grass.

want4rain
July 1st, 2007, 08:19 AM
letcha know how it goes! thanks!

-ashley

Longblades
July 3rd, 2007, 10:39 AM
Is it pee over and over on the same spot? Or does the grass die after just one pee in a new place? If the latter you may want to consult your Vet. My Vet said that was a sign the dog's urine is too alkaline (not acidic) and it could be giving him a burning sensation too and he will be very uncomfortable. Apparently this is common to older spayed females and especially some breeds, like spaniels. Our older ESS spayed girl took meds. to make her urine more acidic and it cleared up the problem of the grass too.

want4rain
July 3rd, 2007, 12:23 PM
that was my thoughts Longblade. do you think vinegar (such as apple cider vinegar for flea and mosquito repellent) would help?

-ashley

Smiley14
July 3rd, 2007, 12:30 PM
My dog also has free access (doggie door) to my backyard. I've tried all the products out there in the pet world (pee pills before I knew they could be dangerous, pee posts, etc) and none of them worked. What I've learned over the years and what my bright green grass proves is that regular watering of the lawn flushes out the urine and minimizes the damage as well as a spring and fall sprinkling of gypsum to help neutralize the acidity. You can buy gypsum really cheap at your local garden center. I got mine for $4 and only needed one bag. You just sprinkle it like you would fertilizer or grass seed. For me, a little gypsum and watering every other day work great!

Longblades
July 4th, 2007, 08:27 AM
I am not suggesting anybody self medicate their pooch just to avoid burned grass. In our case our ESS needed the meds, prescribed by our Vet., to correct her PH imbalance. She was also having little accidents in the house, leaving little dribbles. Vet said that was a really good sign her urine was too alkaline and it was hurting her when she peed; so she tried not to pee and held on so long that she just couldn't hold it any longer, hence the little accidents.

I don't know about the vinegar. I assume you mean to put it on the grass, not give it to the dog? But, vinegar is mildly effective as a weed killer so my guess is it might be too much the other way, ie. too acidic. Worth a try I guess, since the grass is shot anyway. I think the watering would be my choice though, to dilute the urine.

Hooray, hooray, it's finally raining. Yippee.