Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Cries

cooperme114
June 28th, 2007, 12:58 AM
I have two one year old orange tabbies, a male and a female. Both are fixed. My female cat cries loudly and continuously when I leave the house, no matter who else if home with her still and despite that her brother is still there.

As soon as I walk out the door and out of sight of the window, everyone tells me that she runs to my computer chair and starts crying out in loud, short calls. She appearantly does this for over an hour some days. She did not do this as a kitten, but for the past few months it has been an every day thing for her.

Is this normal cat behavior or is there something wrong? If not, is there some way I can reassure her that I will be coming home eventually?

rainbow
June 28th, 2007, 02:35 AM
I have never heard of a cat doing this. It is fairly common for a dog so you could try leaving the house and coming back 5 minutes later. Then go for 10 minutes and come back, then 20 minutes and keep increasing the time a little each time you go out. Good luck. :fingerscr

Love4himies
June 28th, 2007, 06:44 AM
I had a cat that did this type of thing. He also started doing it as an older adult and continued until he passed away. Even if I was in the house, but he didn't know where I was, he would howl until I called him, then he would come running and settle down. I always thought he was calling me to come home so I didn't think too much about it. Is this cat particularly close to you?

Have you talked to your Vet about it?

clm
June 28th, 2007, 07:25 AM
My Squeak cries like that if she doesn't know where I am in the house. My hubby says she sometimes does it if she sees me leave for work in the morning.

Cindy

ancientgirl
June 28th, 2007, 09:44 AM
My Vlad has been doing this lately at night. He'll go to use the litter box then sit in the bathroom and cry out. As soon as I call his name he comes running and snuggles next to me and purr until he goes to sleep.

cooperme114
June 28th, 2007, 02:22 PM
So maybe some cats just get lonely?

I might try that, Rainbow. It just breaks my heart to think that she thinks I've left her on purpose.

ancientgirl
June 28th, 2007, 02:39 PM
I think it just goes to show, cats aren't as solitary as many people who don't have them think. I know I've heard lots of people, my cousin's daughter, say cats are loners and don't like being around people.

That couldn't be further from the truth! These people have never had a kitty who loves them.

cooperme114
June 28th, 2007, 03:23 PM
When I'm at home, my two cats are always with me. They follow me everywhere they possibly can. So I guess it's not that strange that she doesn't understand why I'd leave without her. It just breaks my heart when people tell me that she cried for me to come back, I guess.

rainbow
June 28th, 2007, 06:18 PM
WOW....I never realized that lots of cats did this. Geeze, I just had a thought....maybe my cats don't like me if they don't care when I leave? :laughing:

ancientgirl
June 28th, 2007, 06:35 PM
WOW....I never realized that lots of cats did this. Geeze, I just had a thought....maybe my cats don't like me if they don't care when I leave? :laughing:

You can always hide and see if they meow when they don't see you :D

krdahmer
June 28th, 2007, 07:55 PM
My youngest Asker does this, usually after using the litterbox in the basement at night, she cries and cries until I call to her to come back up. Maybe she gets scared being alone in the dark. As long as she isn't too stressed or panicky I don't think it's anything to worry about. She just misses you lots!! And do you talk to her when you are home? Maybe whoever is left at home needs to talk to her more when you are away.:shrug: