June 27th, 2007, 06:56 PM
I am proud to say that I did a BIG rescue and in the a past 3 weeks I rescued-trapped, and placed a socialized Mother Calico Cat, her 2 Muted Gray Calico Daughters, (semi feral) and 7 kittens (socialized). I have been caring for her and her Daughters for 1 year, and they survived the winter by living in a shelter/feeding station under a balcony. And then suddenly kittens appeared and the family was larger and everyone was lactating and nursing them (including the Calico Mother!) and now it was a colony :( ...... I would like to know: I socialized the Mother Calico and 3 days ago, brought her in my house and Ginger, my 6 year old indoor male - is in Lovvvvvvvvve :) and seems to be amused and liking that she is rolling around, touching his paws, rubbing on him, nose to nose ...... what a cute pair! And Baby, my little dog, (although with diarrhea and roundworms these days) also likes her. Even though she seems to be very very healthy, no rhino, super clean, no fleas
I would like to know if I did a "no no" ?? by bringing her into my house as she needs to be vaccinated, tested for FIV/Leukemia, and eventually sterilized?!! She is sharing the litter box with Ginger, laying around close to him, and I have seen him smell her backside.....and so, I am worried.
Because of circumstances of my doing these rescues.....this is how it went. Now I feel, that to wait until next week, because a wonderful lady I know can get a deal, and then the Mother Calico cat plus her two Daughters, are all going to be rounded up and brought to a Vet - may be detrimental - and unsafe. I am also questioning that this Vet does the vaccinations and spaying at the same time. I have heard that really, one should bring the cat to the Vet for a check up, do the vaccinations, and FIV test, and then need to wait for 10 days and then bring the cat back to be spayed. I would appreciate all opinions, and advice. Thank you.:confused:
June 27th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Firstly, thank you for saving these cats!
YES!!! I was unsure when I first read this and with all due respect, Oh God, please tell me this is not the same person with the dog with roundworms!
Please keep her isolated until she has been to a vet!! I work in Siamese Rescue and we never ever allow cats we have managed to find - usually from people who give up their kitties for ridiculous reason imho or from the SPCA where they might be euthenized (Siamese do very badly in those settings!). Few are so many owners were at least responsible enough to have taken new kittes to the vet immediately and they are usually vaccinated (first set of vaccinations) and of course spayed or neutered unless they were Show Quality tho we do not get too many of those, mostly what the show people would call "Pet Quality."
I have a show quality meezer but she was spayed asap!
You must always have an isolation area of you take in cats or dogs from the street and do not know their history! If you can check their microchip - if they were in fact micrchipped, sometimes that helps you find the so called owner. But that is not likely. This cat needs to be spayed - and we spay pregnant females since God forbid, no one needs more kittens in the world - there are not enough homes for those that rae here now, even purebred Siamese! We often get other purbred pregnant moms too and they are spayed as soon as they are healthy enough to go through the procedure.
Surely though you took her to the vet when you first found her so you have some idea of her health status. That will give you some baseline numbers to work with when you bring her back for vaccinations - I don't understand why your vet did not vaccinate her then??? (Makes no sense to me!) But an unvaccinated cat would not get anywhere near snall children or other pets! Usually, isolation can last a week or two, depending on what illnesses are found at the vet's and then they can be added to the "general population" if you work with a Rescue that has such a facility. We have individual people who foster tho so no facility - which is just as well since that can be a Breeding - pun intended - for illness and disease! (sigh!)
Please keep this calico isolated until you return her to the vet for the completion of her blood work and exam, vaccinations, tests and spay procedure. Most vets do indeed spay/neuter first and wait until the cat has a improved immune system to vaccinate but in rescue situations, often both are done at the same time (Often, that is the only way it can be done with feral kitties!) with no problems. And she is an adult so her immune system is likely fine. The kittens may need to wait. Are you working with a group to adopt these kittens - never adapt kittens to anyone without spaying them and charge a fee. (or else bouchers and others seeking "free" kittens may arrive at your door! Make sure you have an excellent contract - you will take back the kittens if anything happens, no declawing - there are examples of contracts I believe on this site.
You did not mention all this when discussing roundworm and it makes that situation more precarious!! You do not want an epidemic so please, isolate the cat ASAP! What did your vet say about all this? The roundworm situation puts all of them at risk - especially now that mom has been around eh dog? (Has she - I am unclear about this as well.)
I am wondering if the dog - who I assume is an indoor pet - may have contracted the roundworms from the cat. he would not have had to come into direct contact with her - and you do not know if by some chance he did. I did not realize she had been outside for a year! Yikes!!!! I think they all need to be seen by the vet, the sooner the better! Hopefully, your friend will get you a good fee but you can also explain it is a rescue operation, Our vet is part of our group and often does procedures for free (I operate on human children and have learned much about cat anatomy and physiology from her and am amost at the point being able to do these uncomplicated procedures. Others I would not touch, lol) and helps us in finding homes - tho we belong to an international group with chapters across North America and have wonderful support. You might ask a local group for a courtesy listing for adopting the other 5 kittens if you are only keeping two. You cannot after all simply leave the other two outside now.