Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New member, big problem

karenmamo
June 27th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Four days ago a cat got into my house. It is in my attic.
I have thought of everything I can think of to lure this poor cat out of my attic.
I am wondering if there is some smell they hate that I could spray up there to run him out.
When I enter the attic, it runs from me and hides between the subflooring.
I am beside myself.
What smell do they hate?
karen

BMDLuver
June 27th, 2007, 06:53 PM
You want the cat out why? I know it's not yours but perhaps just give it some time and it will eventually make it's way down. It's obviously terrified for some reason.

SableCollie
June 27th, 2007, 06:56 PM
The best thing would be to call your local shelter/SPCA if there is one near you and get them to put a humane "have-a-hart" trap in your attic to catch the cat. the traps are baited with food, and when the cat goes in the door shuts. That way once the cat is caught it can be cared for, and won't just be back on the streets again. The traps are also usually sold at local hardware stores. If it won't go in the trap, a trained shelter worker or animal control officer would probably be able to catch it with a net or rabies pole, but that is more stressful to the animal. As for smells, I have heard that cats don't like citrus, but really it would be best if the cat could be caught and brought to a safe place.

rainbow
June 27th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I agree with SableCollie and would go with the humane trap. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

karenmamo
June 27th, 2007, 07:14 PM
This pretty missy lives somewhere in the neighborhood. We live in a wonderful area in center city near the university.
Many cats here are outside cats. My four are in and out cats.
I have seen this beauty many times out hanging around mine and they seem to have gotten used to it's presence.
I have fed it twice. When I told my granddaughter, her reply was: Well, he won't come out now for sure!
I would rather get the citrus spray and try that before traumatizing the poor thing with a stranger coming into the attic to catch it. Although I may have to do that eventually.
I keep waiting for the owner to put up a poster with a phone number. We do that lots in this neighborhood. We all tend to look after each others' animals.
I fed it because when I realized it was up there, I figured how and when it got in and knew it had been without food for nearly 36 hours. Too soft hearted to starve it out.
Thanks for all your comments and concern.
I will keep you informed.
karen

BMDLuver
June 27th, 2007, 07:20 PM
That's good it knows your cats. It might just get comfy and meander down to see what's going on with the rest of the house. Don't worry about having fed it, I'd do the same.. No fair to be terrified and hungry I say.. Good luck with catching it... you seem very caring and it's lucky to have picked your house I would say.

krdahmer
June 28th, 2007, 08:43 PM
A humane trap is a good idea. Safe for you and the kitty. If it's terrified it doesn't matter what scent you try it will not budge.

Hope you can get poor kitty down and back to her owners! :pray:

cpietra16
June 29th, 2007, 08:34 AM
If it belongs to someone than it will be easy to gain their trust, unless it was traumatized. I would use to the humane trap, but if that's not an option, just keep feeding it and hopefully it will let you get close enough to get him out.

ellendar
August 7th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Four days ago a cat got into my house. It is in my attic.
I have thought of everything I can think of to lure this poor cat out of my attic.
I am wondering if there is some smell they hate that I could spray up there to run him out.
When I enter the attic, it runs from me and hides between the subflooring.
I am beside myself.
What smell do they hate?
karen

Okay you want to drive the poor kitty out? I have no clue why it obviously likes your attic , but cats really do not like the odor of citrus, but truly you need to think what harm is your new friend doing?

ellendar
August 7th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Go to E bay and type in animal trap, you can buy one about forty bucks there easily but actually you should not be so mean to the feral cat in the attic, I had a feral in my attic for years he never hurt anything, just quietly took up residence up there
be sure and provide a clean litterbox and fresh food and water that is humane anyhow

ellendar
August 7th, 2007, 08:24 AM
A humane trap is a good idea. Safe for you and the kitty. If it's terrified it doesn't matter what scent you try it will not budge.

Hope you can get poor kitty down and back to her owners! :pray:
THAT CAT IS FERAL YOU OWN HIM NOWhis owner is you, your responsible for his welfare

kigndano
August 13th, 2007, 02:53 PM
sorry guys

but you are all nuts telling this person to just let him live up there.

its their house, and if they dont want a random cat (hello?? a random animal!) living in their attic, dont leave replies like.."what harm is he doing anyways?"

if they wanted a cat, im sure they would go get one.

my advice is call the humane society or animal control, and have them get the cat out.

sometimes you guys take it wayyyy too far with the animal love

kigndano
August 13th, 2007, 02:56 PM
THAT CAT IS FERAL YOU OWN HIM NOWhis owner is you, your responsible for his welfare

this is also one of the dumbest posts ive ever seen.

does this go for a stray raccoon also??

and by definition, a feral cat does not interact with humans, and therefore cannot have an owner....

Jim Hall
August 13th, 2007, 03:18 PM
i would give her a few more days with a litterbox water and food
maybe a vet can give some sort of med that would make her alittle less shy?
if he/she doesnt aprroach you in a few more days get a humane trap and at lleast get her/him checked by a vet
It sound cruel i know but having a strnge cat in would attic would worry me

krdahmer
August 13th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Old post... from the looks of it the OP never came back to tell us how it turned out either.:confused: