Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

lormes

lormes
June 27th, 2007, 11:56 AM
My 40 lb dog may have ingested Giadon (medication for bipolar disorder). I'm not sure if she did but I know she chewed on the bottle and the medication is all over the floor. Should I be worried? Should I do anything or just wait and see what happens? Can a dog have a reaction?

Geodon is prescribed to treat schizophrenia. It is also used for the short-term treatment of mania associated with bipolar disorder. Researchers believe that it works by opposing the action of serotonin and dopamine, two of the brain's major chemical messengers. Because of its potentially serious side effects, Geodon is typically prescribed only after other medications have proved inadequate.

Bearsmom
June 27th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Seriously? Get your dog to a vet. NOW.

Hunter's_owner
June 27th, 2007, 12:41 PM
I agree, better to do something about it now than to wait to see and regret not doing something about it later.

lormes
June 27th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Thank you. I will

rainbow
June 27th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I hope you have taken your dog to the vet by now. How is she? :fingerscr :fingerscr

SnowDancer
June 27th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I have been worried as well. A member of my husband's immediate family was taking said medication - not something you would want the dog to get into - or even think dog got into to.

BusterBoo
June 27th, 2007, 08:19 PM
If you can't get to the Vet, then call your local Poison Control Centre.....or any Vet should be able to help you out.

Good luck!