Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

camp sites in quebec

jiorji
June 27th, 2007, 11:51 AM
so...who goes camping? Who's got a good place to recommend?

I looked around a bit on camping sites and I've been to Gatineau Park before and it was cool but most sites are booked now.:sad:

anyone know a good park with a beach/lake area for swimming and not too crowded camp area?maybe semi wild? and not too far from Montreal? 2 hrs max :o

Frenchy
June 27th, 2007, 12:04 PM
I know a cheap place in Sherrington :laughing:

jiorji
June 27th, 2007, 01:17 PM
a REAL camping place Frenchy :rolleyes: :D

luckypenny
June 27th, 2007, 05:46 PM
You would have to go about 3 hours east of Montreal for probably one of the nicest campgrounds we've ever been to, Baie des Sables on Lac Megantic in the Eastern Townships. You will not be disappointed. http://www.campingquebec.com/baiedessables/

jiorji
June 27th, 2007, 05:51 PM
oohh will check that out Lucky

CyberKitten
June 27th, 2007, 05:53 PM
We went camping once in Breaumont - (sp?) - we had a trailer tent and had a great time, was not far from a zoo - Granby zoo maybe. can't recall just now. There are also some kewl places on the Gaspé.

In 1967 - when I was a child - my parents took us to Expo 67, such as I recall of it. Why they think I would recall is amazing but I do remember some things - mostly that it was the 1st place I ate pizza, lol. They had a huge parking place just off the Cartier Bridge but I think it was for that. And obviously not there anymore. (OK, you can tease me now for going down memory lane again, lol)

There are some good places in the Maritimes I know, :laughing:

luckypenny
June 27th, 2007, 06:08 PM
...There are some good places in the Maritimes I know, :laughing:

:sorry: I'm gonna jack this thread for a minute :o . We've put aside 3 weeks for camping in New Brunswick this summer, mainly in Miscou Island. Would you have any other suggestions CyberKitten that are totally dog friendly and provide lots of privacy between campers? (We don't like the trailer park type camping)

BMDLuver
June 27th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Ck.... it's Bromont and it's hugely developed there now...

There are not many quebec camp sites close that are not overrun with folks all summer. You are far better off to head into the US, ie.. vermont or ny state. Beautiful state parks available.. easy driving distance..

coppperbelle
June 27th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Ck.... it's Bromont and it's hugely developed there now...

There are not many quebec camp sites close that are not overrun with folks all summer. You are far better off to head into the US, ie.. vermont or ny state. Beautiful state parks available.. easy driving distance..

That is what I would suggest also. Both are about an hour and a half away, great campgrounds and beaches.

jiorji
June 27th, 2007, 07:59 PM
BMD, unfortunately i don't think we're willing to go through customs just for camping.

Lucky, that looks really populated. I'm thinking an actual camping place where there's less people...so you can sneak in beer...OH i mean....so that you have quiet and peace and get a good night;s sleep:angel: hehe
it's just that i haven't gone camping in half wild camping parks.

So i think Gatineau it is..unless someone knows one like Gatineau :D

downloader
June 27th, 2007, 08:43 PM
sure lots of places oka park, Mont Tremblant just google camping

CyberKitten
June 27th, 2007, 09:26 PM
In NB, the provincial parks are almost all dog friendly. Here are the ones I'd recommend:

Mount Carleton Provincial Park Armstrong brook (middle of nowhere, northwestern NB - close to Maine border though if you do want to shop)
Pretty rustic and beautiful mountain drive- but you have to love being way out there, there are almost no retail outlets for kilometers!!

Fundy National Park Alma - This is at the other end of the province, southeastern NB. Close to a variety of places to buy groceries, etc - close to Tantramar Marshes,Mt. Allison U. Nova Scotia border, many trails to walk on, used to have one of the few salt water swimming pools in the world but I have not been there in awhile so I think it no longer exists. Not far from Moncton, NB which is the shopping capital of the Maritimes. (Don;t tell that to my fellow Haligonians tho, lol)

Kouchibouguac National Park: Richibucto, NB - VERY pet friendly (would get top rank of all of these). Located in north eastern part of the province - between Miramichi and Moncton, closer to Miramichi which has lots of amenities. There is also the not the provincial park which is also good. K Park has both trailer and trailer tent sites but many for just tents as well.
Located in Kent County, one hour north of Moncton. You can go from Mtn by the scenic route (134 - not the best highway ut it really IS scenic, lol) or take Route 11, scenic in spite of being the highway - but has few passing lanes which irks me top no end. Not a divided highway tho.

Mactaquac - near Fredericton, capital city
Has a huge number of sites and a swimming pool (no pool at K - above) and a restaurant tho why anyone who camps wants a restaurant at their camop site always was a mystery to me, lol

Murray Beach Provincial Park
Shediac
Not far from Confederaion Bridge to PEI.
From the NB- Nova Scotia border take the 15 from the 2 to the 955 into the park.

Parlee Beach
also in Shediac - near Moncton
One of my fav camp sites, best to have reservations since it is a very popular destination esp this time of year! A great park - trails, warm water, pool, close to Moncton and all it offers - mega shopping, Cosctco, - do I sound like I like Moncton, lol?
Same directions as above except follow route 2 to Shediac and then the rest of the directions from NS border.

The Enclosure
a small but quaint park in Miramichi. Just outside of Miramichi on the way to Fredericton. The roads (route 8) is not so hot - no divided highway and remember t5his is construction season so be prepared, lol

Jacquet River Park 0- Jacquet River, NB
Between bathurst and Campbellton, NB
Very small park in the middle of nowhere (hope no one from JR is here, lol) A small village with a good convenience store - there is an excellent medical clinic too - I have only good things to say about the doctors who refer patients to me from there and so I visited the place, VERY friendly people. More English than French. I have some relatives who lived in an even smaller place nearby!! (Nash Creek, locally called The Crick (sounds like in Watson and Crick - inventor of DNA) - think of a New Brunswicker with an Irish accent and that is what it sounds like) Beautiful views and gorgeous scenery! You can rent boats or other watercraft like sea doos, etc, (wind surfing)_. There is a Pizza Delight nearby if you like good pizza!

Inch Arran Park - small park in Dalhousie, NB
Lots of activities - but do not book for late July since it is festival time and for some ridiculous reason, some ppl who reside there opt to stay at the park in trailers to be by all the action (parade, etc.) There is a Recreation facility w a pool (indoor) and water in Bay of Chaleur (despite the name, irony or ironies) is freezing!!! This place has THE BEST fries on earth, lol - made at the local Lions' canteen tho they have gone downhill in recent years - not sure why. Still excellent tho! There is a nearby place called "the Bar" which is the world's longest natural causeway - does not get much publicity but it used to be a great clam digging place. Located near a Miqmaq reserve which if you go at the right time in July, you will be able to eat free Restigouche Salmon during PowWow week. Rentals of wind surfing, sailing available - local marina avail.
Cute little coffee shop now open next to the park with a gift shop but you can get Tim's downtown, lol

Sugarloaf Park
Larger park with excellent trails - in winter is a busy ski season, like its sister park in Maine. <g> Now, many of the trailers park at a closer WaMart and pay just to go in and walk the trails! Many activities - lots of room for you and your family and dogs and cats and anyone inbetween. Near Campbellton and practically on top of the shopping area - Atholville. If you are ambitious, you can always climb the mountain, lol
You can see the mountain in the foreground in this picture:

http://www.letmestayforaday.com/photo/1051216891MVC-020S.JPG

Just across the riover from Quebec where you can visit the museum about the Battle of the Restigouche.

There are others but these are what comes to mind for nB just now.

As for one of my favourites close to where I grew up, it's in Maine - the Aroostock State park. Excellent place for pets. Very rustic but wonderful view, near Presque isle, Maine

http://www.maine.gov/cgi-bin/doc/parks/find_one_name.pl?park_id=7

Hope this helps - good luck!!!

jriver oprov park

inch arran dal

sugarloaf