Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What would you do?

Bearsmom
June 27th, 2007, 11:51 AM
My neighbours have a 5 month old GSD/Bouvier mix. Last night she told me her and her family are leaving on Friday for a week's vacation to New Brunswick. I said, "oh, how nice, the dog will enjoy running on the beach". Her reply? "Oh, no we're leaving him at home?".

I asked her who was watching the dog, and she said that he'll be fine, that she's getting a neighbour to come in once a day (ONCE A DAY???!!!) to let him out and to feed him, the rest of the time he'll be in his crate.

In his crate? Alone all that time? With no company?

I'm a little bit torn, as far as I'm concerned, they're knowingly leaving this young pup on his own. I'm very worried about this.

What would you do?

Frenchy
June 27th, 2007, 12:10 PM
OMG ! So that poor dog will be crated 23 hours a day for a week ! :mad: They don't deserve to have a dog. Maybe you could ask if you can walk him once a day ? Are you close with these neignbors ? Can you explain to them how cruel this is ?

Hunter's_owner
June 27th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I agree with Frenchy. I would explain to them how cruel this is and offer to help out by spending some time with the dig while they are gone.

sugarcatmom
June 27th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Wow, that's un-frickin-believable!!! Why do these people even have a dog? I'm thinking a chia-pet would be more their style.

I agree with the others that if there's any way you could help the dog out while they're gone, or at least get them to realize this puppy needs more care than what they're proposing, then that would be great. If not, I'd sure be tempted to call the SPCA or Humane Society on them.

Bearsmom
June 27th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I did offer to walk him, but I'll be working nights Monday through Wednesday, and the response was that no, they already had someone coming in. I argued that it is cruel to leave an animal (esp. one that young) alone and locked up for that long. Her response was that he'll be fine.

My plan is to see (because our backyards are kittycorner to each other) when this neighbour is coming in. The dog rarely gets walked when they ARE at home, no training, etc. I'm going to give it a couple of days and listen for any signs of distress, I think at that first sign, I'll be calling the SPCA, and then the police. I'm so scared for this dog, and I don't even know why.

*I'd love to take him in, but Sir Bear and he aren't the best of friends (they will tolerate each other) because Bear is very much the alpha male, and I also refuse to have an unvaccinated un neutered dog around my 4 year old son.

chico2
June 27th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I agree with Sugarcatmom,I would call the SPCA this is absolutely animalcruelty:evil:
At least let the dog have a room and be taken out several times...even that is bad,a dog should not be left alone for that long,anything could happen.

Frenchy
June 27th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Bearmom, do you have a rescue in your area ? You could ask them for advice, what to look for to make a good complaint and get the dog out.

Love4himies
June 27th, 2007, 12:54 PM
A puppy alone for five days:eek: ? How horrible for the dog. Are you able to call the SPCA before Friday just to get their advice?

Bearsmom
June 27th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Unfortunately, I have to wait until it happens....should be by Sunday, as they're leaving this coming Friday. Hubby and I are so upset over this.

The good thing is that there are elderly people living on the other side of these nitwits, and they're a LOT closer than us, so I'm hoping they'll call.

From past experiences, this dog will constantly bark when left in his crate, so I think people will definitely be complaining.

What breaks my heart is that this dog is soooo smart (and beautiful to boot), I'd take him in a heartbeat, but then I'd be heading for divorce court.:laughing:

Love4himies
June 27th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Unfortunately, I have to wait until it happens....should be by Sunday, as they're leaving this coming Friday. Hubby and I are so upset over this.

That's too bad :mad: , but I guess that is the way things go in Canada, "wait until something happens and is too late to prevent":evil:.

filox
June 27th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Leaving a dog like that is inhuman, may be you can give them directions to a pet hotel, may be even help whit the cost, see if the shame make them tink.

Any way, a pet hotel should be some 20 or 30 a day...

Cheers.

CyberKitten
June 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I think pet hotel are a lot more than that but if you are going to have a dog, it is just as expensive to take him with you in your travels than to board him. One of the reasons I agree to baby sit my brother's adorable chocolate lb is that I cannot bear to see him in a boarding kennel when he goes away. It makes for extra travel for us but it is better for the dog. (He often does take him but if he can't - work related meetings, etc, etc - I labsit. <g>)

I do not understand why they would not take the dog on vacation, That to me makes more sense- id they have children, the kids and the dog would have a great time and it is a good time to bond. Growing up, we always brought our dogs on our many vacations - even across the border! (Tho once my dad forgot the dog's papers and we had to find a kennel for a few days, we were soooooooooo upset!!! - you never saw a dog so happy to see us, lol) But the 99.9% of the time with no hassles, we had a super time. We'd go camping sometimes and the kids (us) got to sleep in out own tent with the dog and we had such fun! There are so many places now that cater to people with pets too - more than we had at that time. (We occasionally had to sneak the dog in but she seemed to know what was up, lol Plus, she rarely barked anyway.)
I laugh when I think of one occasion when a "bell boy" said "I thought I heard a diog" (we were i nthe corridor" and my quick thinking older sister said, "Oh, we are watching a movie with a dog in it - so sad", she had to add. He did not question us any more and OMG, that was funny. If we'd been kicked out, we;d have just found another hotel or a dingy motel that took animals, lol

And now, I always travel with my pets - well not so much my bunny but it was easy to travel with him too. Just place him in his carrier and put him in the back seat,. He adjusted anywhere! (More so than cats actually)

Anyway - sorry to go on but my point is this is what they are missing! I could write a book I think on Travel with Pets, lol - and it would funny and cute and all sort of emotions.

I worry about this puppy too - much to young to leave home. At ;east why don't they hire a sitter who can stay with the dog 24/7 so he is not alone? That would be better than a kennel but that is I suppose the last alternative, better than this.

I even worry about the SPCA being involved - are they a no kill shelter - since these people are not going to claim him in 72 hrs??? (I am used to SPCA's who tend to make room by doing the unthinkable, not by choice granted but still...)

Maybe that BC group needs to come to Orangeville?

jessi76
June 27th, 2007, 03:32 PM
If I were you.... I would flat out tell them if they crate the puppy for that long to expect me to call the authorities as soon as they leave, have them hauled back from their vacation, and their dog seized. maybe if they realize that you and other neighbors will call, and it will end up ruining their vacation, they'll listen to a better option, like using a kennel.

Melinda
June 27th, 2007, 03:42 PM
keep an eye out for the dog walker, because in my opinion after the second day of having to clean the dog, cage and blankets of doggie pooh, he/she will be more than willing to listen to advice, cause there is no way that within 12 hours that pup will not have an accident

chico2
June 27th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Jessie,that's exactly what I would do,I would not care if these jerks got mad at me.
I walk my neighbors Cocker every day,but if they go away,Bailey is at a kennel,a place she loves,by the way.
I don't even leave my cats with only a person coming in once a day,if I did not have my son to come and stay here,I would not go away period.

ancientgirl
June 27th, 2007, 04:38 PM
That's incredibly sad. What business do they have even owning a dog? It seems they only have him just to say they have a dog. I wonder how they would like being locked up in a room for 23 hours and only to be let out for an hour to use the bathroom and eat.

That's just insane.

Dog Dancer
June 27th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Oh I knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread. How horrible for the dog. I would go and talk to the two next door neighbours as well. Get them onside with a plan for what to do. I would also tell the people that you are prepared to have the authorities break into their house to "rescue" an animal in distress. People can be so - well you know - I think we all agree here.:sad: :mad:

Edit to add: Maybe you could talk to the dogwalker/neighbour who is looking after him and get them onside with letting you "secretly" take the pooch out for a bit during the day??

BMDLuver
June 27th, 2007, 06:59 PM
If the dog has food, water and shelter, there's not much can be done about it. They aren't breaking any law but not letting the dog outside nor out of it's cage regularly. Think of this dog as similar to a puppy mill dog. Can't close a mill down if dogs are being cared for, even if only once daily. I would ask AC in your area what the guidelines are and minimum requirements.

SableCollie
June 27th, 2007, 07:04 PM
If someone called animal control here and said their neighbors were going to leave a dog in a crate like that while they were away, the animal control officer would speak with them before they left and tell them that is not acceptable and they would have to either have the person visit the house more often, of board the dog. Leaving a dog in a crate, where you know the dog will have no choice but to soil the crate, and I'm sure if there was any water in the crate the dog would spill it or drink it all....we would consider that neglect. Even though the state law only says "food water and shelter" for animals, we have the power to judge whether a situation is neglectful/cruel and speak with the owners and require something be done.

BMDLuver
June 27th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Canada, I'm afraid, is very far behind on animal rights..

Do you knoe if the family has central air in their home? If not, and the temps get high then the house being too hot might be a reason for AC to investigate... just a thought..

luckypenny
June 27th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Just thought I'd add that if this dog is taken to a shelter, make sure that those involved are aware that he has received no vaccinations. It really is not an ideal place for him either as he'd be subjected to all sorts of disease. A foster home w/o or with healthy dogs or a sitter is probably his best bet until he's properly vaccinated.

rainbow
June 27th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Poor puppy doesn't deserve a life like this. :sad: Idiot moron owners he has. :mad: I would phone SPCA and/or AC in your area and ask if there is anything that can be done. Good luck and let us know what happens. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Frenchy
June 27th, 2007, 09:48 PM
keep an eye out for the dog walker, because in my opinion after the second day of having to clean the dog,

That's another concern, IF this person takes the time to clean everything , I hope this person doesn't let the dog in his own filth , not too good for his skin or health. :sad: See , that gets me upset, these people are going on vacation , without a care in the world, while you ,the neighbor, will be worry sick about a dog that's not even yours. :sad: :grouphug:

~michelle~
June 27th, 2007, 11:06 PM
if the dogs not vaccinated it prob isnt registered either..... maybe you can get them on that technicality too.....
maybe we can plan an elborate "escape" plan for this little guy:evil:

erykah1310
June 27th, 2007, 11:13 PM
That is so sad and cruel.
Poor guy.
I despise people who think like this, one hour a day out of the crate is enough. Just thinking of him sitting in there all alone and having to pee or crap in his bed but not wanting to, breaks my heart.
I would be on the phone with ACO the following morning, if they dont care then I would be calling above them and so on.
Canada really needs to step up on their animal cruelty laws. Its pathetic.

CyberKitten
June 28th, 2007, 02:44 PM
While I do want Canada's overall pet legislation changed to create stronger laws nationally, the laws and policies vary from province to province so I have to say it is not quite accurate to say that Canada's laws are outdated. Yes, many of them are - Quebec seems to be the worse for some reason (I do not know why because it is a progressive province in so many other ways!). This situation here would be investigated and the family likely charged- the problem of course if that they'd pay a fine and might loose the dog. Some other areas would investigate and talk to the owners and if they were assured verbally by them that the dog would be better cared for, they might not recheck. It all depends on how the law and policy is applied and no two places are alike. We need standardization of laws and better punitive measures for people who abuse and neglect animals.

want4rain
June 28th, 2007, 04:09 PM
i know nothing about Canadas laws but if they seized the doog, wouldnt they have to vaccinate?? and if he is left unatended in a kennel NO bowl will be left unturned.... he can not be left in a kennel with water on the bottom of it.... no food...

its saturday. have they left yet?? maybe the other neighbor will be willing to go out and hang out for more than an hour a few times a day??? have you talked to them at all??

:( bummer. good luck with this.

-ashley

glitterless
June 29th, 2007, 04:37 AM
I don't like the idea of calling the authorities either. Unless the dog is in severe distress and needs to be removed ASAP, I think an alternative approach is always the way to go.

Bearsmom, I know that it's really not your problem to worry about this, but I understand why you feel that you need to. Could you talk to these people again? Do a little research; find some cheap kennels in the area or maybe even a friend or acquaintance who would take the dog for a minimal fee. I'm assuming that these people don't have much money or they would have thought of boarding anyway. Although....if they don't have much money, they probably shouldn't be vacationing! Anyway, that's besides the point.

Can the dog walker actually TAKE the dog during the vacation so that it's not all alone? There must be some other solution. I'm just worried that the SPCA either a) won't do anything; b) will simply take the dog and throw it in a kennel at a shelter, which isn't much better than dog's current situation; or c) give out a warning that will only turn these neighbours against you, which doesn't help anything either.

I always think that education is the key. What if the house got too hot? What if the dog dumped it's water over? What if the dog was sick and wasn't treated soon enough? What about the dog's overall emotional/mental state and lack of physical activity?

Some people don't understand these things. Telling them that leaving the dog alone is cruel just doesn't sink in. But maybe listing the "what ifs" would wake them up. Good luck.

rainbow
June 29th, 2007, 04:42 AM
I always think that education is the key. What if the house got too hot? What if the dog dumped it's water over? What if the dog was sick and wasn't treated soon enough? What about the dog's overall emotional/mental state and lack of physical activity?

Some people don't understand these things. Telling them that leaving the dog alone is cruel just doesn't sink in. But maybe listing the "what ifs" would wake them up.

Good suggestion but it's probably too late since they're leaving tomorrow. :sad:

glitterless
June 29th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Too bad. I hope everything works out for the best. At least the dog is indoors and there is a caregiver involved.

Sometime during the coldest part of the winter there was an awful story on the news. Apparently a family went away on vacation to Florida or somewhere warm and sunny and left their poor dog tied outside in -30 to -40 degree weather. A neighbour found him dead a couple of days later. I don't know what ended up happening to the owners, as police were still waiting for the family to return from their trip when the newscast had aired.

Lukka'sma
June 29th, 2007, 09:06 AM
If I were you.... I would flat out tell them if they crate the puppy for that long to expect me to call the authorities as soon as they leave, have them hauled back from their vacation, and their dog seized. maybe if they realize that you and other neighbors will call, and it will end up ruining their vacation, they'll listen to a better option, like using a kennel.

I think this is the perfect solution. What better way to get their attention.
Perhaps you could provide them with the name and number of a country paws or other kennel in the area

rainbow
June 29th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Did your neighbours reconsider before they left? :fingerscr

Bearsmom
June 30th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Hi guys: Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, it's been a crazy busy week.

I finally lost my patience Thursday night (after watching them flit around getting ready to go), and asked her to "come to the fence". I flat out asked her again what the plans were for care for the dog. She pretty much told me the same thing as before, and I told her that the dog needs to be let out more than once a day, and it was not a great idea to leave him crated for that long. So she informs me her partying drunk sister is coming to stay at her house "for a few days". I asked if she'd mind leaving us a key and feeding instructions as well as his lead/collar, and we'd check up on him more than the other house sitters.

She said she'd love that. Soooo, all should be okay, because I'm pretty sure we'll take better care of him than the others. The only thing I feel bad about is leaving him alone at home, as Bear won't tolerate him in the house.

It'll work out better because my dh is home this weekend, and I'm working nights, so I'll be home during the day. We'll bring the dogs for a nice long hike tomorrow night after I get home from work, and that should tucker them both out.

They dropped the key off last night, as well as ALL their contact numbers. *whew*

chico2
June 30th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Bearsmom,that's better,at least he'll have someone who cares looking out for him.
I hope they forgot the crate-idea and at least have a room for him,it would be impossible for me to put him back in a crate all alone..:sad:

Bearsmom
June 30th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Okay so between me and the whole wide internet world, I'm more than likely going to accidentally forget to put him in his crate. (don't worry, I'll make sure the house is safe)

ancientgirl
June 30th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Maybe you can put him in a large bathroom. At least he would have room to move around in, and you can make it safe for the puppy. And if he has an accident, with the tile floor it should be easy to clean up and the owners will never know.

Bearsmom
June 30th, 2007, 08:50 AM
None of their bathrooms are large, and he's a big boy. They do have some baby gates around.

ancientgirl
June 30th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Cool, perhaps the kitchen is a good spot for him then? I'm glad they allowed you access to him. When I got my Vlad, I was told by someone I could just keep him in his carrier while I was at work. I was horrified. He was a kitten, and they wanted me to keep him in this carrier for 8 hours. I wonder where some people's brains are sometimes.

t.pettet
June 30th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Cheers for you on being such a caring concerned 'angel' for this dog. Wish the owners had as much concern for this pet.

t.pettet
June 30th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Cheers for you on being such a caring concerned 'angel' for this dog. Wish the owners had as much concern for their pet. I have been told many times that 'its not your business' when I've intervened in matters where an animal is in distress or being neglected but I persevere and like you will go out of my way to educate the owners and assist the animal.

chico2
June 30th, 2007, 05:02 PM
t.pettet,IMO it's everyones business,everyone who cares,animals and children are helpless and you just cannot turn a blind eye and hope for the best.
I have been told several times not to get involved,not my business,but it certainly is and I will always try to help.
Bearsmom you are doing a great thing:thumbs up

Frenchy
June 30th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Bearsmom , thanks so much ! I know I feel better knowing you will take care of him. :angel: So a hike tomorrow ? This boy will wish his owners never come back :)

angeldogs
June 30th, 2007, 06:19 PM
t.pettet,IMO it's everyones business,everyone who cares,animals and children are helpless and you just cannot turn a blind eye and hope for the best.
I have been told several times not to get involved,not my business,but it certainly is and I will always try to help.
Bearsmom you are doing a great thing:thumbs up

I agree.Animals and children.can not standup for themself or portect themselves.it takes someone who can and should.
Bearsmom.i respect what you have done.:thumbs up
The pup will be in your good hands now.thank you for standing up for him

want4rain
June 30th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I agree.Animals and children.can not standup for themself or portect themselves.it takes someone who can and should.
Bearsmom.i respect what you have done.:thumbs up
The pup will be in your good hands now.thank you for standing up for him

thats the heart of it all isnt it??

-ashley

ChancesMom
June 30th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Bearsmom,

It sounds like you did a wonderful job for your neighbors dog... Maybe her plan all along was free pet care? ;)

Anywho... I was wondering if you would be willing to... nah.. just kidding!

Good job! :D

CyberKitten
June 30th, 2007, 11:06 PM
That's great news Bearsmom. You must feel so much better and I think all of us who have followed with interest the fat of this poor dog while his family holidays has been worried. Bravo!!! He will be in great hands and care now!! (whew!!

Have fun with him!

angeldogs
July 1st, 2007, 12:03 AM
thats the heart of it all isnt it??

-ashley

Yes it is.

rainbow
July 1st, 2007, 01:01 AM
Bearsmom, THANKS so much for doing what you did :thumbs up ........I am so glad that he will be looked after because of you. :angel:

Bearsmom
July 1st, 2007, 07:33 AM
Bearsmom,

It sounds like you did a wonderful job for your neighbors dog... Maybe her plan all along was free pet care? ;)

Anywho... I was wondering if you would be willing to... nah.. just kidding!

Good job! :D

Aw, jeez, don't get me started on the "free pet care" thing! She brought him to my vet after I bugged the hell outta her to get him at the very least vaccinated. She found out it's going to be about $200 to get him neutered, and she's all pissed off because (to quote her) THAT'S a shopping trip to Costco!!!!!

The dog is a real sweetheart, when I get home from work, I'm looking forward to this walk. The only problem is he bugs the hell outta Bear, and I'm hoping he'll behave himself (Bear will certainly straighten him out, but I'd hate to see anything happen to either dog, ya know.

I imagine that we're looking after him because god forbid she should have to pay someone to look after the dog. I should leave a bill in her door for pet care.

AND, what ticks me off is her 1 year old cat (no shots, not spayed) just had a litter of kittens and is running around outside again, still unspayed. She was pissed off because we wouldn't take one of the kittens.

I HATE SOME PEOPLE, YA KNOW?

Frenchy
July 1st, 2007, 11:32 AM
The only problem is he bugs the hell outta Bear, and I'm hoping he'll behave himself

You may want to throw him a ball for a while when you get him out, he will be very hyper and will probably be very excited (having someone who finally cares about him) and will bug Bear.

You neighbor sounds like a real moron. :sad:

Bearsmom
July 1st, 2007, 02:35 PM
I should probably do this in HIS yard, right?

rainbow
July 1st, 2007, 03:20 PM
I should probably do this in HIS yard, right?

That's what I would do. :D

My gawd your neighbours are real morons and SHOULD NOT have any pets, period. :eek: :frustrated: :mad:

Bearsmom
July 1st, 2007, 04:10 PM
Yeah, she continually makes "jokes" about getting pets and getting rid of them when they start to "annoy" her. Nice.

rainbow
July 1st, 2007, 04:19 PM
Yeah, there should be a law against some people. :sad: :frustrated: :mad:

ChancesMom
July 1st, 2007, 10:20 PM
Bearsmom,

It is unfortunate that pets are treated no better than a set of luggage by some people.

Fortunately for the pets, you are their neighbor.

Of course this makes there lack of ethics and caring, additional stress for you.

Some people are just amazing... and not in a good way.

Good luck to you! :pawprint:

Bearsmom
July 2nd, 2007, 05:23 PM
Update: I got home from work last night, we ate dinner, then I went over to feed him. Before I left, I found a jiggly ball (that Bear doesn't like 'cause it scares him), and brought it over. Well, this guy played with the ball for over an hour after he ate dinner (it's a bigger ball and will squeak sometimes when rolled), he just LOVED it. I looked in their house and there is ONE toy for him. ONE.

So once he had eaten and played, we leashed him, got Bear and ds, and off we went for an hour. This dog is a DREAM to walk, no pulling, checking with me every few feet ( I spent about 20 minutes with him before we left teaching him proper leash manners), so he's VERY smart. He got a little chatty when Bear and my husband were farther ahead than he thought was acceptable, and he kept a close eye on our son the whole walk.

What a darling dog, if only they paid that much attention to him!

Frenchy
July 2nd, 2007, 05:37 PM
So this comes to mind : theres no bad dogs, only bad owners :D

He must have been soo happy with you guys ! Thanks for taking care of him. :grouphug:

rainbow
July 2nd, 2007, 06:00 PM
I looked in their house and there is ONE toy for him. ONE.

That is so sad. :sad: He probably thinks he's found heaven with you. :angel:

Yeah, she continually makes "jokes" about getting pets and getting rid of them when they start to "annoy" her. Nice.

What a darling dog, if only they paid that much attention to him!

Any chance of her giving him to you? :o

Bearsmom
July 2nd, 2007, 07:47 PM
Unfortunately, he and Bear do NOT get along, Bear has snapped at him more than once. He's just such a nice dog my heart breaks for him.

ChancesMom
July 2nd, 2007, 09:05 PM
Awww.... I sooo feel for him....

Longblades
July 3rd, 2007, 11:33 AM
I think your idea of watching to see what happens with the appointed dog sitter is the best bet. The poor thing will probably be howling and crying with loneliness so that will be a good excuse for calling the authorities. In my experience it is no good talking to such ignorant people. I made that mistake and now all my concerns are addressed to authorities like the OPP, humane society, noise control bylaw officer etc. anonymously.

bendyfoot
July 3rd, 2007, 11:54 AM
I'm glad you were able to help this little soul out..if only for a short while...hopefully his circumstances will improve somehow, but at least he has you watching over him:angel:

Love4himies
July 3rd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Thank goodness for neighbours like you :highfive: . Keep us posted on your adventures with him. Do you have a digital camera to post some pictures?

Bearsmom
July 3rd, 2007, 05:23 PM
He was out for about 10 minutes that I saw this morning. The partying sister is now staying at the house, and dh said he has no compunction about calling the police should things get outta hand. (she's an extremely mean drunk)

It was wierd this morning, I went over to give him his morning cookie from us, and he exhibited a lot of fear (very wierd for him), so it makes me wonder exactly what's going on in the house, and who exactly is over there.

I'll try to get some pictures, he's soooo stunning looking.

Bearsmom
July 4th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I haven't been able to get any pictures today, as I haven't seen the dog since 7:30 yesterday morning. The partying sister was there yesterday, and hasn't been around since (she took the housekey the neighbours gave us).

I woke up at 3pm today to sharp yelping, but I don't know if it was from him, or from another neighbourhood dog. I'm at work now and worried sick, I don't know if the dog went with the sister, or if he's still in the house. DH is going over tonight to see if he can see anything, I'm just waiting for him to call me with any news.

ARGH!!!

Frenchy
July 4th, 2007, 10:38 PM
:sad: this is so sad :sad: And to think the owners are having fun on vacation without a care in the world. :mad:

Bearsmom
July 4th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Well, I told dh to call the spca emerg number if the dog's in there. Although if she shut the windows and the dog's in distress, I'll kick the g*ddamned door in tomorrow myself!!!!

Frenchy
July 4th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I'll kick the g*ddamned door in tomorrow myself!!!!

I wish I could go and help :evil: would love to dognap him. It would be for a good cause :angel:

Bearsmom
July 4th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Hehehe, I'll send ya the address....

rainbow
July 5th, 2007, 02:05 AM
I hope the poor dog is alright. :fingerscr :fingerscr :pray: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

mummummum
July 5th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Is the whole family "inbred eejits" ?

Sorry, haven't had my java jolt yet....... what a story. I can't bear to think what that poor baby must be thinknig and feeling.

You know bearsmom , there is hope for Bear and this dog. Look at Bridie and Declan. We're now living sans babygate, wlaking and playing offleash together. it could happen...:fingerscr :angel:

chico2
July 5th, 2007, 08:04 AM
OMG,I know all about worrying about a neighbors dog,I too have the key to my neighbors house and I feel very much responsible for Bailey the Cocker.
There has,over a couple of years been incidents,where,had I not noticed,Bailey would not be with us today:sad:
Why did you have to give the key to this person??
Not blaming you or anything,hopefully you can get the key back:fingerscr
:pray: that this poor pup is ok!

ChancesMom
July 7th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Please update us on the poor pooch!

Thanks a bunch!

glitterless
July 7th, 2007, 02:11 AM
I agree, mum. My older dog and youngest dog couldn't stand each other for the first few MONTHS! There was a lot of snarling and some big fights too. They've been together a year and a half now, and although they aren't best friends, they do tolerate one another and live together in the house. As long as both dogs are about the same size and someone is usually around to supervise, I think they eventually find some common ground and calm down.

Good luck bearsmom! I hope there's a happy ending for this doggy.

rainbow
July 7th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Bearsmom, any updates? ......is the dog okay? :fingerscr :fingerscr

mummummum
July 7th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Seconded Rainbow...:fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

ChancesMom
July 8th, 2007, 12:32 AM
ʎɐʍ ɹnoʎ sʇɥƃnoɥʇ ǝʌıʇısod ƃuıpuǝs

ʞo sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ ʇɐɥʇ ǝdoɥ ı

'ɯoɯsɹɐǝq

rainbow
July 8th, 2007, 01:06 AM
ʎɐʍ ɹnoʎ sʇɥƃnoɥʇ ǝʌıʇısod ƃuıpuǝs

ʞo sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ ʇɐɥʇ ǝdoɥ ı

'ɯoɯsɹɐǝq

Huh??? :confused: Is this some kind of code language, ChancesMom? :D

rainbow
July 8th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Bearsmom, what's happening? :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Bearsmom
July 9th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Sorry all, been on days off and forgot to update you!!! DH apparently went over that night, peeked through the window and saw the dog panting and STILL in his crate. ***** everywhere. Soooo, DH pried open a window, let the dog outside, hosed him off (he LOVES the garden hose), hosed out the crate, and took the dog and crate to our house.

You should have heard the freaking out from the sister and neighbours when they got home on Friday, yes FRIDAY. I didn't have to say a thing, hubby went ballistic on them telling them they're not fit to own a plant, let alone a PET. Apparently the neighbours were all apologetic and teary-eyed. DH told them to seriously reconsider owning a dog of that intelligence. He also told them that if they ever left the dog alone for longer than a day, he'd phone the cops.

So, he's back home with the idiots, and seems to be getting a bit better care.

badger
July 9th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Wow, you've got a great guy there, Bearsmom. I would love to have been a fly on the wall when he tore a strip. Richly deserved. That poor dog, just another 'thing' to them, but he sure lucked out with the neighbours.

Bearsmom
July 9th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I was actually quite proud of him, normally he's such a laid back guy, but when it comes to the welfare of animals, he will snap! He's also 6'6", so that in itself is scary...lol

papillonmama
July 9th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Wow. What a crazy situation, that's terrible.

All of my neighbors know I would take in their little ones if they needed a pet sitter, they all know I wouldn't allow them to abandon their pets like that either.

Good for your man for telling them off.

Frenchy
July 9th, 2007, 12:40 PM
wooohoo for your man !!! For both of you, for taking care of him , for your BF , to break in and got this poor dog out , and for telling these people off. Now they may take better care of the dog (they will sure feel spied on :thumbs up )

ChancesMom
July 9th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Huh??? :confused: Is this some kind of code language, ChancesMom? :D

Heehee!!! :laughing: :laughing:

I was bored and was messing around... lmao!

Sometimes I am just a clown... :crazy: :clown: :crazy:

Bearsmom,

That is absolutely ridiculous!

What did the sister say? Oh to be a fly on the wall... for her to take the key and then take off leaving the dog in the crate... that is totally bull!

That poor dog.... I wish that I could take him...

Frenchy
July 9th, 2007, 09:10 PM
That poor dog.... I wish that I could take him...

That could always be arrange ;)

Bearsmom
March 11th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Well, it's been 8 months and I have a sad update.

The dog never got any better care than before, the neighbours 3 1/2 yr old daughter beat the ***** outta the dog, the dog gives her a warning, and then the dog was dragged off to his crate to be locked in for "punishment".

When stupid neighbour (hereby named SN) brought her daughter over to our house, the daughter promptly went over and started to go after Bear. It was just a reaction on my part, but I grabbed her by the hands and told her NOT to touch my dog. SN says, "well just train your dog better". Um EXCUSE ME? My response was, "well, just train your child better".

We've just come back from vacation and I thought it was wierd we hadn't seen Dakota (their dog) out back (he loved to lean over the fence and watch Bear play, and I'd go over and scratch his ears-he actually broke the lattice on the fence from leaning on it while being scritched). SN came over to inquire about the trip, and I asked about the dog.

Her response was "oh, he got aggressive with the kids, so we gave him to my brother"

THEN she says, "ooh, but look what WE got" and holds up a shih-tzu.

WTF. Just WTF. My tongue has dents from biting it.

loopoo
March 11th, 2008, 01:31 AM
oh geez...:wall: :sad: i am actually saying a prayer for that dog.. i hope the brother isnt like them.

coppperbelle
March 11th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Sad story but hopefully it will work out better for the poor guy. I was at the vet last week and there was a man with a large mixed breed dog. He told me she had become incontinent and that he hoped the vet could treat her. He was obviously upset. He said that the dog was 8 years old and he had inherited her a year ago from his brother in law. She didn't have a great start at life but was now being treated like a queen. :fingerscr your's neighbors brother will give the pup a better home.

I don't have any suggestions on what you can do to help the new little dog unless you see that it is being abused or neglected. These are the kind of people who will continue to dump animals that are no longer serving their purpose. :( Unfortunately they are teaching their children to treat animals the same was as they do. :loser:

Frenchy
March 11th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Her response was "oh, he got aggressive with the kids, so we gave him to my brother"

THEN she says, "ooh, but look what WE got" and holds up a shih-tzu.

WTF. Just WTF. My tongue has dents from biting it.

:wall: :wall: :wall: have .... no .... words ..... :mad:

want4rain
March 11th, 2008, 01:07 PM
the poor thing is going to end up with broken bones!!! all the dogs ive ever had in my life could stand up to a little abuse from kids but that was no excuse to NOT teach them how to deal with animals!!!!!! my poor Betsy (cocker spaniel) got her ears tugged on a few times but she would patiently wait for one of us to dislodge the kid from her head and give them a stern talking to and sit them in time out (of which was the perfect time for her to go over there and tell them they are ok and comfort them cause they usually cried over it LOL!!). Mister takes some measure of abuse in enthusiastic huge and kisses or pillow duty but Jeffrey (at 2years old) knows not to hit any of the animals or bite them or poke them in the eye... etc. the pets know not to scratch or bite cause mommy or daddy or big sister will come save them.

poor puppy and poor kid. those are the two who will eventually pay for their parents stupidity.

-ashley

krdahmer
March 11th, 2008, 01:08 PM
:sad::frustrated:

rainbow
March 11th, 2008, 01:59 PM
All I can think is here we go again. :sad: :wall: :wall:

shane 123
March 11th, 2008, 03:42 PM
And after reading the whole thing all I can do is go for the box of kleenex.
Dumb *ss neighbours.

chico2
March 11th, 2008, 04:38 PM
You know,it's terrible when you have to worry about your neighbors animals,I have a couple of not so good dog-owners around and it's very stressful.
You can talk and give advice until you are blue in the face,to no avail:wall:
Poor little pup:sad:

Bearsmom
March 11th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I've just given up. There is no cure for stupidity.

t.pettet
March 11th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Sad that this new dog is going to learn to defend herself by nipping after the kids have poked eyes, pulled ears and tails, then she'll be deemed vicious and given away. Idiot people.

CyberKitten
March 12th, 2008, 01:05 AM
This is all so sad - to think of that dog and now another little dog who will have no chance against uneducated children. They need to teach their children how to behave around dogs and many breeders and rescues will not adopt to families with children under a certain age for good reason.

It is as someone said... beyond words!

Bearsmom
March 25th, 2008, 05:06 PM
More....

The dog is back with them, apparently he killed a few goats out on the farm and went after the horses, so "it's just not working out"

Idiot is supposed to give him to one of her friend's friends. Failing that, she's turning him into the SPCA. Frickin idiot.

I just happen to know some people at our SPCA and told them if this dog comes in to give me a call, and I'll give them his history. For right now, he's apparently living in the garage. Nice.

CyberKitten
March 25th, 2008, 08:48 PM
OMG- in the garage, in winter! Are these ppl nuts as well as sadists? Gawd! :sad::yell:

ancientgirl
March 25th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I just read this threat, and your neighbors sound like they came from the shallow end of the gene pool.

I sense that the brother is much like your neighbors and has no idea what having a dog entails.

These people shouldn't be allowed to own anything that lives and breathes. It seems they are teaching their children to be just as uncaring as they are.

Unbelievable. I hope they do take him to the SPCA, and I hope your friends call you and you can tell them the truth about this poor guy. Maybe then they can find a REAL home for him.

I had a passing thought. I wonder what they would say if their dog wound up in your yard, being a happy well behaved pup. You could then rub it in their face there was nothing wrong with the dog, just his former owners.

Bearsmom
March 26th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Sadly, our Bear won't tolerate him around. He's come into our yard a few times and has annoyed Bear so much that Bear has done his "alpha talk" as we call it.

I don't know what they've done to the dog out of our sight, so I don't know what he's been subjected to. I've come up with a solution, but it's too early to say anything right now.:fingerscr

chico2
March 26th, 2008, 08:14 AM
The sad thing is,keeping a dog in the garage is not against the law,it's unethical and cruel,but according to our HS not abuse.
My young neighbor keeps Fate,a white Husky in the garage at least in the day-time,she is totally untrained and he says she's too destructive:yell:
I somehow doubt the fact this poor pup killed a couple of goats,if he had he probably would have been euthanized by the brother,but then again,that would cost $$$.
Poor pup,I hope there is a solution for him:fingerscr

ancientgirl
March 26th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Bearsmom, whatever you have planned, I wish you luck!:pray::fingerscr

Love4himies
March 26th, 2008, 02:15 PM
:wall::wall: Wonder if the brother has the same gene pool as SN.

Bearsmom
April 8th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Well, well, well. I saw her the other day and said I hadn't seen Dakota around at all, she told me her friend took it to the SPCA to be surrendered (so she didn't have to pay the surrender fee).

HOWEVER (and here's where my interference stepped in) the SPCA had received a complaint about the treatment of this dog (huh, now I wonder who could have done THAT), and had already been to her house a few days before, SO when Dakota showed up at the shelter, they phoned stupid neighbour.

She said to them, 'well, I guess he jumped the fence' and was very angry that the shelter questioned her as to why she wasn't concerned by his disappearance. So, they made her come in and pay the surrender fee, and she's been flagged to not adopt from there.

I haven't seen him posted on their website yet, I imagine he's still being assessed. At least they'll make sure he goes to a good home, and I'll be stopping in this week to fill them in on his history.

Reality
April 8th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Lets hope that this dog finds a home that will give him the love, care and attention he deserves. I read most of the posts on this and it's a heart breaking story really.

chico2
April 9th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Bearsmom,would a shelter not euthanize a pup who had killed livestock,if that is really the case:sad:
I am glad you will have a chance to speak up for Dakota at the SPCA.
Hopefully she will somehow get a chance for a better life:pray:

ancientgirl
April 9th, 2008, 09:01 AM
She said to them, 'well, I guess he jumped the fence' and was very angry that the shelter questioned her as to why she wasn't concerned by his disappearance. So, they made her come in and pay the surrender fee, and she's been flagged to not adopt from there.

She was angry? This person doesn't have a clue does she? I'm glad she's flagged. People like her should have a perpetual "kick me" sign on their backs.

jealma
April 9th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Some people need to be put in kennels. And didn't you say she got a shih tzu back in one of your post? I have one of those and they are a high maintance dog. I spend time everyday brushing my furbaby and she needs her face watched daily and her ears cleanned weekly. I find her nails need a weekly clipping ,, guess I could cut them shorter and do it once a month,, but what's a few more min's once a week. They are a dog that requires lots of attention and I think even more demanding than most for attention because they really are such babies..... Is there no way to mark these people,, big red flag on their house or something, grrrrrrr

katherine93
April 11th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Just curious..Do you think it is more cruel to leave a dog in a crate all day with no room to run and play ..and most likely waste all of his water..or to be left outside tied up the whole time they are gone?(with a doggy house and blankets) ..just curious...im trying to figure out wats worse..lol Neither of it is very nice..! Especially seems the dog is part german shepherd..i have a german shepherd and he would go absolutely NUTS if left in a kennel all day..WAY to much energy for that..lol

Reality
April 11th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Personaly I can't say it is cruel to leave your pet outside as long as they have the proper things they need like water food, shade,warmth. shelter , ect. Because Taz spends his day outside while I am at work. He seems pretty content there and I"ve never had a problem with him barking while I"m gone. Mind you I"m talking while I"m at work. Once I get home he is brought inside and loved up and than we usually go for a walk ( unless it's really crappy out,, I don't like walking in crappy weather)

Sorry that is off topic,, I do think it is wrong to leave them alone for long periods of time. Dogs are people pleasers for the most part and I could not imagine my poor guy left alone for 24 hours. I am sure his heart would break.

Dang, off topic again. Guess if I was a dog (large dog that is) I'd rather be tied out.... but as a dog,, I"d rather people company. :-) did I finally stay on topic?

Frenchy
April 11th, 2008, 08:29 PM
the SPCA had received a complaint about the treatment of this dog

:D whoever did this :rolleyes: did the right thing :highfive:
So, they made her come in and pay the surrender fee, and she's been flagged to not adopt from there.

Oh man , I would have loved to see her face while she paid the fee :D

Thank you for caring Bearsmom :2huggers:

katherine93
April 12th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Personaly I can't say it is cruel to leave your pet outside as long as they have the proper things they need like water food, shade,warmth. shelter , ect. Because Taz spends his day outside while I am at work. He seems pretty content there and I"ve never had a problem with him barking while I"m gone. Mind you I"m talking while I"m at work. Once I get home he is brought inside and loved up and than we usually go for a walk ( unless it's really crappy out,, I don't like walking in crappy weather)

Sorry that is off topic,, I do think it is wrong to leave them alone for long periods of time. Dogs are people pleasers for the most part and I could not imagine my poor guy left alone for 24 hours. I am sure his heart would break.

Dang, off topic again. Guess if I was a dog (large dog that is) I'd rather be tied out.... but as a dog,, I"d rather people company. :-) did I finally stay on topic?

I agree with everything you said..and yes you did stay on topic..my dogs are left outside while my parents are at work and i am in school..they love it out there,like you said, they are brought inside when i come home from school. but for a whole week..i think thats cruel..

CyberKitten
April 12th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Gawd, that story just gets more horrible but I am glad she had to pay the fee. GOOD!! But I wonder what will happen to the poor dog now? I have to admit I'd be tempted top take a page from those women from BC who remove dogs from abusive homes and the family might find him "missing" some day. Meanwhile- he
s at a new home tho I gather by now he needs someone who can teach him a lot of things.

It's wonderful that she can no longer adopt from the SPCA but there are so may &^%$ byb's!

Love4himies
April 12th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Thank you bearsmom for keeping an eye out for this dog, we need more people like you.

Bearsmom
April 12th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Just curious..Do you think it is more cruel to leave a dog in a crate all day with no room to run and play ..and most likely waste all of his water..or to be left outside tied up the whole time they are gone?(with a doggy house and blankets) ..just curious...im trying to figure out wats worse..lol Neither of it is very nice..! Especially seems the dog is part german shepherd..i have a german shepherd and he would go absolutely NUTS if left in a kennel all day..WAY to much energy for that..lol

My problem is they were planning on leaving the province for a week with no one coming in to stay with the pup. That's why the good Lord gave us kennels for watching over our pets. Or housesitters. Or someone coming to stay.

Bearsmom
April 12th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Thank you bearsmom for keeping an eye out for this dog, we need more people like you.

Awww, thanks.

It just breaks my heart that we can't take him, but knowing our local spca, they'll find him a good home.

badger
April 12th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Bearsmom, thanks for sticking with this dog.
I LIKE that the SPCA confronted her. Ours is so short of staff, I doubt it would ever happen here.
Now if I could just rescue my neighbour's intact female pitbull who never goes outside and the windows are blocked so she can't see outside either. We've racked our brains for a solution. The SPCA has offered to pay her an 'educational visit', which would serve no purpose since the owner never answers her door, she is too paranoid. When the crisis comes - and it will - I'm afraid the dog will probably be euthanized.

Bearsmom
April 12th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I just knew that from the way her kids and family treated him that he'd eventually wind up there. I happen to be good friends with someone who works there, and put the bug in her ear awhile ago. I kept following up with stuff that was happening, and it was her who insisted on sending an investigator over to the house to check on the dogs.

Now, I hear they're all laughing at her at the shelter because WHAT KIND OF A DUMMY TRIES TO GET HER FRIEND TO SURRENDER A DOG THEY JUST MET A FEW DAYS BEFORE????

Oh, and from what I understand the shihtzu was "given away to a friend" :wall:

Chaser
April 13th, 2008, 12:34 AM
:cry2: This is such a terrible situation.....these people sound awful! Not only for leaving the dog but for not having its shots either!

I can't even imagine being in your difficult situation....please give updates.

ancientgirl
April 13th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I hope for any animals sake they themselves realize they just aren't smart or compassionate enough to take care of a pet.

rainbow
April 13th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Bearsmom, thanks for everything you've done to help Dakota. :angel: :thumbs up :grouphug:

I hope he finds the loving home he deserves. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Bearsmom
April 17th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Well, here he is! He's posted on the website. If anyone is interested in adopting him, I can personally assure you that he is a DOLL, and ANY issues he has can be easily worked with, he's a smart, smart boy. He's been renamed Koda.

http://www.orangevillespca.ca/dogs.html

ancientgirl
April 17th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Oh Bear, :sad:, that poor boy looks like they've put him through hell.

I hope he finds someone to give him a good home!:pray:

Chris21711
April 17th, 2008, 11:29 AM
He looks such a sweetie Bearsmom, from what I understand the Orangeville Branch has a good success rate.

Bearsmom
April 17th, 2008, 11:58 AM
It's NOT a good picture of him. His left ear stands up like a GSDs, and right ear does a half flopover. He has the Bouvier stride, with a GSD body. He's a beautiful dog, and I know that Orangeville will get him a good home.

rainbow
April 17th, 2008, 01:45 PM
He is such a handsome boy :lovestruck: ....I'm sure he will find a forever home soon. :goodvibes:

TeriM
April 17th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Good for you for looking out for this poor dog :angel:. Hope Bear (Koda) gets the new forever home that he so dearly deserves :fingerscr:goodvibes::fingerscr.

Frenchy
April 17th, 2008, 08:48 PM
ahhh , a brindle , love his color :D

Hope he finds his forever home soon :goodvibes: :fingerscr

phoozles
April 18th, 2008, 01:15 PM
He's beautiful, and I'm sure he'll find a home soon :fingerscr
Thanks to you for saving him! :grouphug:

Bearsmom
April 18th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I'm sorry, Bear is our dog, this dog was previously named Dakota, now renamed Koda.

mastifflover
April 18th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Very cute love the brindle coat

Chris21711
April 25th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Bearsmom - I was looking on the Orangeville site this morning and it says that Koda has been adopted :thumbs up

TeriM
April 25th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Woohoo, great news :thumbs up. Hope he got the forever home he deserves :fingerscr.

rainbow
April 25th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Bearsmom - I was looking on the Orangeville site this morning and it says that Koda has been adopted :thumbs up

It doesn't look like it to me unless I'm looking at the wrong site. :shrug:

http://www.orangevillespca.ca/dogs.html

chico2
April 25th, 2008, 04:56 PM
No he's not:sad:that's to bad:sad:

Chris21711
April 26th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Sorry about that, I must be losing it. I just looked again and I must have been reading 'adopted by a happy family' which was for the dog above.:confused: Sorry again.

chico2
April 26th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Chris,don't feel bad,I too thought he'd been adopted,until I looked again:sad:

rainbow
April 26th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I had to check twice too. :o

BusterBoo
April 26th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Oh My....I just read all of this thread and am in tears......what the H$$L were those people thinking???

I hope that Koda finds his forever home soon, he looks like a sweetie and if he has issues, it's his "owners" fault!

If you find out that the tzu is still around and being neglected, please PM me....