- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


What to expect after Spaying & Neutering

June 27th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Hi all! This coming Friday I'm taking my little ones to get spayed & neutered.

Since I've never gone through this, I want to know if some of you can tell me what I should expect. I remember when I took Vlad in for his first shot, I almost drove myself crazy because I thought there was something wrong with him, and didn't realize it was just the effect of his shot.

I know Vlad will most likely still be a bit woozy after they let me take him home, but would he be this way most of the rest of the day? I have to go out in the evening to help my dad with some things at his house, but I'm afraid to leave him alone for the 2 or 3 hours I'm away. Every one is telling me he will be fine and just probably sleep most of the day and then be back to normal the following day.

Oksana I know is more complicated. I have to leave her overnight (poor little miss), and I'll bring her home the following day. I'm really concerned about her because Vlad has been playing a bit rough lately and I really don't want him to play with her and hurt her. She's also been sneezing lately, but otherwise eats and plays normally. I'm hoping the sneezing is just perhaps due to my packing and maybe stirring up dust, but I'm going to have the vet have a look at her anyway.

When I bring her home though, should I keep her separated from Vlad for a day or so? Since Vlad is being neutered will his behavior tone down a bit?


June 27th, 2007, 11:43 AM
When I bring her home though, should I keep her separated from Vlad for a day or so? Since Vlad is being neutered will his behavior tone down a bit?


I think it's a good idea . And don't worry, it's a simple procedure, everything will be allright :thumbs up

June 27th, 2007, 12:07 PM
When we got Molly and Stewie fixed, they were both sent home the same day (12 hours after the procedure). Both were fine. In fact Molly was just as spry as usual. Hubby had to try and keep her contained from jumping around.

Both healed quickly as they are so young.

June 27th, 2007, 12:21 PM
That's good to know. Mine are still quite young as well, so I'm hoping they are their old selves back quickly.

It will be curious though to me, since Oksana will not be around until the next day. I'd like to see if Vlad misses his little friend.

June 27th, 2007, 12:52 PM
I've seen five out of my six done and have never had a problem. They are a bit groggy for about a day and sleep a lot.

I do however think that sending Smoke and Windy together might have been a booboo because of how my old vet does the surgeries, those recovering from and awaiting surgery are right in the surgery room able to see the other animals being operated on. They must have done Smoke first and then Windy, because it was like Windy remembered. We took them a week or so later to have staples removed (which I don't think they use anymore), and upon hearing the male vets voice from the waiting room, Windy went bananas and went after the first thing she saw, a small sick dog in the waiting room:eek: :sad: . Poor little guy. And she hissed and carried on the whole time he was taking Smoke's staples out. For the next couple years after she was very very protective of Smoke. I think most vets have better set ups than that, I know mine now does.

Anyhow, not sure if you should leave him alone or not, I guess just wait and see how he does with the anesthetic then decide. I'm pretty sure you definitely want to discourage any wrestling behaviour for a while.

I'm sure everything will go smoothly and they will recover quickly!! :goodvibes:

June 27th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I've seen their operating room, and they have two but are separated and you can really only have one pet in there at a time, so that's good.

I'll see if I can stick around at home then that evening. If he's going to be all groggy for the rest of that day I'd hate for him to get himself into something and not be able to get out because he hasn't the strength.

June 27th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I took my three kitties in separately for each of their surgeries -- each about two weeks apart. The vet did ask me to keep the recovering kitty separated from the others for at least the first 36 hours just to guard against rough-housing while still woozy from the medication and possible injury from that.

I found a lot of comfort in keeping the recovering kitty in a crate for that 36 hours -- only taking him or her out for closely supervised potty breaks -- of course my vet prescribes morphine drops during the recovery stage.... so all of my animals slept like babies for the 36 hour minimum rest period.

Your babies will be fine!! My boys did recover faster than my little girl -- but only by a matter of maybe half a day.

Hugs!! Don't worry.. you'll be surprised at just how fast they're feeling better. :)

June 27th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the reassurance. I would have liked to take them separately, but wanted to spend some time with them during the recovery stage, and I've tried to schedule this while I'm on vacation. Plus, my vet is going on vacation for a few weeks and I wanted her to do both of them, since I feel really comfortable with her treating my little ones.

I thought if I'm home for 6 days then I can watch them both. I'm can set up my laundry basket as a make-shift little bed for her while she's recovering and keep an eye Vlad doesn't jump in and try to mess with her. If I need to leave the room I can easily carry that with me.

June 27th, 2007, 06:56 PM
I've had lots of cats over the years (always two or more at the same time)and have never had any problems with the spay/neuter times. It sounds like you are well prepared and knowledgable so I'm sure you won't have any problems either. :cat: :cat:

June 27th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks for responding. I've been doing my best to prepare myself and know what to expect.

Apart from not adding to the over population of unwanted animals, I'm doing this for their health. I've read about the many benefits of this procedure for them, so I'm quite happy I'll finally be able to do this for them.

June 28th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Ya they are pretty groggy, it's so cute. They may even stumble around a bit, just use a soothing and calm voice, give them lots of pets and encourage them (the basket is a great idea:thumbs up ) to get lots of zzzzz's! (And don't forget to tell us how it goes! ;)

June 28th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I sure will keep you all updated, thanks for the support.

June 29th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Sending good luck for Vlad and Oksana tomorrow. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

June 29th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Sending good luck for Vlad and Oksana tomorrow. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Thank you!

I just took them in. It broke my hear leaving them there. I'd asked the vet what time I could pick Vlad up, but she said she was going to leave him overnight too, so that he could keep Oksana company. I thought that was nice of her, to allow him to stay there.

That's why I love going to this place. She said, "We'll leave him here, even though he can go home, just to keep his little sister company and she doesn't get lonely."

I have to say, I feel better about it. I know his operation isn't as invasive as hers, but I still was a bit nervous about bringing him home. This way they both stay overnight and are watched. I can then pick them up tomorrow and give them lots of cuddles and love. :cat: :cat:

June 29th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Aw thats sweet, my vet did that too for Fagan and his sister, so they would have the company in recovery. :goodvibes:

June 29th, 2007, 11:56 AM
It really eases my mind that they would think of something like that for them. It tells me they treat them like they would treat a person, like they have feelings which is how they should always be treated.

June 29th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Exactly, so did you hear from the vets after surgery yet?

June 29th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Oh yes, I did hear from the vet and I actually went to visit my little ones. The vet saw me before she headed into another surgery and she told me they did very well and they should have no problems recovering.

They had Vlad in one little cage and Oksana in the one next to him, they could see each other. LOL, they told me he was a bit restless and not happy, I can believe that. He doesn't like to be in confined places by force, but they both were so happy to see me. I wound up having to leave quickly, because Oksana was getting very rambunctious and they told me not to get them excited. Poor little thing, she had one of those collars on.

I left but shouldn't have turned around. Vlad was just looking at me, like watching me with these sad eyes. I just came from my friends house and she said "I bet you'll have a good nights sleep now that you won't have any kitties running on your stomach." Can you believe that knowing they aren't here will probably most likely give me a terrible nights sleep?

I'm so used to my sweeties being in my room or in bed with me. I'm missing them terribly!

June 30th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Glad to hear everything went well for Vlad and Oksana. :highfive:

June 30th, 2007, 12:16 AM
I'm so used to my sweeties being in my room or in bed with me. I'm missing them terribly!

I know exactly what you mean. I always joke that I hate having to scrap for space on my bed but when we go away I find it hard to sleep without my nightly cat cuddle :o .

Glad things went well and they will be home in no time :thumbs up .

June 30th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Aw me too, I sleep terrible without kitties all over me and the bed!

So glad to hear it all went well and hope you have a great recovery day with them today! I bet they'll be ecstatic to be home with you!! :goodvibes:

June 30th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I finally picked them up and they are home! The vet's office gave me some pain medication to give them for tomorrow, and she gave me some instructions on what to do. I have to keep them from licking and messing with their areas, but so far that doesn't seem to be a problem. I was also told to keep them calm and not let them run around too much.

Um... easier said than done! Holy cow! Vlad finally decided he needed a nap, but Oksana is running and jumping all over the place! I can't get her to calm down. I'm know they are excited about being home, especially after spending the night in some cage as opposed to having my apartment to run around in.

June 30th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Read all the post and I was too late adding anything,I am just glad everything went fine.
My boys never had any problem with neuter,not even any stitches,slept a bit but then were back to normal,never needing painmeds.

June 30th, 2007, 04:35 PM
They are both back to normal. I've been trying to keep them from running around, but it's a losing battle. They have finally both settled for a nap. I'll feel better tomorrow, since I'll feel like their stitches are better healed.

I'm just so happy to have them home!

July 1st, 2007, 12:33 AM
Glad to hear they're "back to normal". :D