Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

kittykat

huliejulie
June 27th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Hello, i don't know what to do with my cat. she doesn't come in the house anymore doesn't use her litter tray. I feel that I could right a full page on whats happened to her in the past 10 months. She gets bitten by these insects so she has injections to help, we changed her diet, but shes chewed all the hair off her legs and scratched all the hair off her head,she looks so attractive. We have moved in the the last few weeks but this is nothing new to her and we always spoil her and keep her safe. Then she started to use my nice lounge room as a litter tray when she could easely get to hers, so we put her outside,she has a cat door into the garage, which is nice and warm. We let her back in and she started to do it again so we put her outside. Tonight I have gone to get her from the garage where she has a nice warm spot and she had decided to use one of my suitcases as a toilet and not go outside. Whats wrong she is 10 years old:confused: Any advice for this very sad at owner

badger
June 27th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Straight off, you take her to the vet. She's a good age for a cat which means her ailments (did you get to the bottom of her allergies?) and the stress of moving can be that much more dramatic. It's possible she has a parasite or some other bowel problem :eek: which affects her behaviour. So I would rule out the physical first. There's a very good chance this problem is beyond her control. When you go to the vet, take in a fecal sample for microscopic examination.

Since she's already prone to allergies, it's possible something in the new food has upset her tummy. What are you feeding her? Or she may have consumed a choice piece of fresh or rotting wildlife, all of which, including birds, are loaded with parasites.

Responding to the situation by booting her out the door is bad strategy. In her tiny mind, the deed is done and she sees no connection between the two events. I've done it myself occasionally but trust me, it only makes things worse, as you have seen. She's avoiding you AND continuing the behaviour.

Think about keeping her inside more often, at least until she is healthy. Reposition the litter boxes, change the litter, add another one, whatever works.

Good luck! We'd love to see a picture of your outbacker.

huliejulie
June 28th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Thank you for the reply I really appreciate it. I took my cat to a new vet today she was not good I really think the other vet wasn't listening to me and needed another opinion . She said that she was obviously a well looked after pet and loved but she was suffering, as she had chewed off much of her hair and scratched herself to bits, the vet said she had seen this so many times and the kindest thing was to put her to sleep.

We had done everything : moved cat tray, diet change injections skin sample. i picked her up and put her on the chair next to me she would run outside didn't want to be in. I am very sad, trying to tell my little girl as well was so hard she burts into tears she is only 4.

I am glad that she is not suffering anymore but I miss her so, I am so used to her being around my feet,and sitting with me which she hadn't done for a few months I gave her a hug and said my goodbye in between sobs. Its so hard! Thank you once again a very sad person tonight from OZ.:sad:

Winston
June 28th, 2007, 04:47 AM
I am sorry for your loss! RIP sweet one! She will be waiting for you at the bridge! Just curious what did your vet say was the problem/illness?

Cindy

CyberKitten
June 28th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I am so sorry for your loss- am at a loss to understand why the vet euthenized over something I have seen often and cats have been treated for. Was there an underlying illness that accounted for this drastic action? I am not questioning your decision - I know it must be tough enough but I am missing some information somewhere. What was the illness that caused this - clearly, your vet thought it was severe enough to put the cat to sleep but I am just curious as to what this disease was?

I'd have to add putting a cat outside is not the solution to this problem so if you do adopt another cat, there are many techniques that work much better than that. This cat may well have had an illness but in the ftie a ct who urinates inappropriately could be treated in at least ten different ways. It is not usual to kill a cat for that kind of behaviour so I just am curious what illness caused her to act this way.

My thoughts are with you and your cat - was she aged? How old was she? Take care!

dudabug
July 9th, 2007, 12:50 AM
I am so sorry for your loss- am at a loss to understand why the vet euthenized over something I have seen often and cats have been treated for. Was there an underlying illness that accounted for this drastic action? I am not questioning your decision - I know it must be tough enough but I am missing some information somewhere. What was the illness that caused this - clearly, your vet thought it was severe enough to put the cat to sleep but I am just curious as to what this disease was?

I'd have to add putting a cat outside is not the solution to this problem so if you do adopt another cat, there are many techniques that work much better than that. This cat may well have had an illness but in the ftie a ct who urinates inappropriately could be treated in at least ten different ways. It is not usual to kill a cat for that kind of behaviour so I just am curious what illness caused her to act this way.

My thoughts are with you and your cat - was she aged? How old was she? Take care!

I agree...I'm sad the way it ended.