Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

folliculitis?

gomez
June 27th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Last week Gomez got stripped, the next day he had a few little bumps on his back, we figured it was just the stripping - yesterday I noticed some of the little bumps had become crusty and flaky, sort of dandruff-y, not a lot, just enough to notice if you look really closely and he started scratching and rolling a bit more than usual...

Vet tolds us folliculitis and prescribed 10 days of Rilexine (antibiotic)

On Monday I gave him a bath with Aloveen

Is there anything else I can be doing? Does this go away quickly?

I have his EP probiotic to give him to counteract...

BMDLuver
June 27th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Maybe some coconut oil or omega 3 would help as well. Does when my guys get flaky blowing coat which they are continuously doing right now with this heat.

Lukka'sma
June 27th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Gomez, I hope this clears quickly

russte
June 27th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Why don't you try rubbing some olive oil on Gomez???;) russte

gomez
June 27th, 2007, 09:44 PM
coconut oil "on" him or "in" him?

yummmyyy.... olive oil!! really? on him?

rainbow
June 28th, 2007, 02:40 AM
I would give him coconut oil. I've heard that Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is the best if you can get it there. Otherwise make sure it is "organic extra virgin". The dosage is supposed to be 1 tsp. per 5 kg but start off with 1/4 of that dosage (as it is quite rich and may cause diarrhea) and work up to the full amount.

Good luck and let us know if it helps. :pawprint:

gomez
June 28th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks Rainbow, is that 1 teasp once a day? or once a week?

The antibiotics seem to be doing something, as he's not scratching much at all anymore...

He will also get another bath in Aloveen this afternoon after the beach - I'm hoping the sea water will also soothe him a bit - I know whenever I have any skin issues, a dip in the ocean helps loads.... we'll see...

rainbow
June 29th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Sorry....yes, it is 1 tsp. per day BUT start off with no more than 1/4 tsp. per day and gradually increase to the 1 tsp. There is a thread here somewhere about coconut oil. I'll see if I can find it. :)

rainbow
June 29th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Here's the thread:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=40731&highlight=coconut+oil

gomez
June 29th, 2007, 04:29 AM
great, thanks rainbow...

after the beach today i bathed him with Malasab foam, do you have that over there? it's an anti-bac, and he's doing better, but tired from swimming like a loony fish!

hazelrunpack
January 8th, 2008, 08:26 AM
How is Gomez doing? :fingerscr

We had Ridge to the vet yesterday for folliculitis--with an underlying staph infection. :eek: We think she got it from a slow-healing scrape she's had on her nose for a couple of months (it kept getting reinjured).

Did Gomez ever get to the point where the skin was sloughing? And how long did it take him to recover? :o