Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog sunburn relief

sissani
June 26th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Louie is outside most of the day now with the new daycamp program my work has gone with (used to be just four hours of play, now its most of the day). He loves it, and I love that he gets so worn out playing all day! But silly me didnt think of how exposed his nose is. He is mostly white, with that thin hair Brittanys tend to have, so his poor little nose is all red now. :sad:

I was wondering if it would be safe to put a little aloe on it? Being on his muzzle, I wouldnt want him accidently licking it if turns out it could be toxic. And for the future, would it be ok to put sunscreen on this area? We use sunscreen often in the summer for those dogs with thin/no hair but again, being on his nose I'm not sure if it would be ok to put it there...

jessi76
June 27th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I think a small amount of aloe would be fine, however, you're right, being on the nose, he may just lick it off. so it could be futile. I'd probably just leave it alone, and watch for signs of irritation (rubbing, excessive licking, etc)

as for sunscreen - I'd probably skip it on the nose. it will end up being licked off. I'd just be cautious about prolonged sun exposure, limit his time during the strongest part of the day. play more in early morning or dusk, or in shaded areas.

SableCollie
June 27th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Apple cider vinegar is supposed to be good for sunburns, and is non-toxic. I've never tried it myself, I just read about it recently. Coconut oil would probably be good too, it can be used topically on all sorts of skin issues.

We have a white pitbull at the shelter that gets sunburned easily, we use sunscreen on her, we just make sure it is all-natural, PABA free, fragrance-free and safe for babies. We try to rub it into her nose really well and distract her with treats until it is absorbed.

Smiley14
June 27th, 2007, 06:44 PM
They actually do make doggie sunscreen! I have to use it on Petey because his fur is so thin. It's worked great and is non-toxic for licking. I got mine at the petstore.