Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ACO from Canada..

NoahGrey
June 26th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Hi Everyone, I am new to this site. I am An Animal Control Officer and work for a Humane Society. I Live in Ontario, Canada. I am in love with my job and animal welfare is my passion.

ACO22

SableCollie
June 26th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Welcome!

My mom is an ACO and I'm the manager of a small animal shelter. (I don't think I'd say I'm in love with my job though! :p Dealing with the people is my least favourite aspect!)

Do you have any animals of your own?

hazelrunpack
June 26th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Welcome to the board, ACO22!

I'd love to see a pic of your cat if you have any to share. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums!

shirley1011
June 26th, 2007, 05:15 PM
AS an animal Control Officer...do you have any suggestions for those of
us with lost and missing pets to help find them. I seem to get no help
from the Animal Control folks where mine is missing.....any hints....mine
has been seen just two nights ago but vanished when the man who saw
him went inside to get a leash.
Any help that you may be able to give would be appreciated as you
obviously work with lost animals.

Mine in particular darts away when people approach him.

HELP!

lilmegshepherds
June 27th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Welcome to the forum

I can say I am not sure being an Animal Control officer or working with a Humane Society would be my favorite thing. Simply because of all the suffering, unloved, abused dogs and cats that you must come accross.

I guess it would be very rewarding though to help those animals!

NoahGrey
June 27th, 2007, 01:49 PM
AS an animal Control Officer...do you have any suggestions for those of
us with lost and missing pets to help find them. I seem to get no help
from the Animal Control folks where mine is missing.....any hints....mine
has been seen just two nights ago but vanished when the man who saw
him went inside to get a leash.
Any help that you may be able to give would be appreciated as you
obviously work with lost animals.

Mine in particular darts away when people approach him.

HELP!

Hi Shirley 1011,

Have you tryed putting a missing/lost report in your local and surrounding newspaper. Visit your local and surounding Humane societies/animal shelters once a week...or every 3-4 days, only you know what your pet looks like best. Also, bring a picture of your cat and give it too them. Put up flyers at pet stores. I walked into a pet store and they have a lost section wall in their store. I saw a lost report and swore that I had that cat at the shelter. Get back to the shelter and call the owner and tell him that I believe that we have their cat. Next day he came in. Low and behold it was his cat. His cat was missing for 6 weeks.

I would like to add that you should put that your cat runs from people. With them knowing that they will take a different approach to try and confine your cat. Most people first reaction is to chase/walking towards the cat. The cat is already scared.

Also you could try to put out salmon. Salmon has a STRONG smell. ALthough you might get strays at your door.

Hope this helps.

ACO22

SableCollie
June 27th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Hi Shirley 1011,
bring a picture of your cat and give it too them.
ACO22
Shirley's lost pet is a dog, he has been on the run for a long time, and I know she has been doing everything possible to find him. Her problem is the dog has become so skittish that people can't catch him. There are a couple of threads chronicling the search for sable in the lost & found forum.

CyberKitten
June 27th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Shirley,

There are many ways to seek lost cats and indoor cats react differently than outdoor ones so that needs to be taken into account. Cats unused to the outdoors will even run from you - their people, they are soooo scared! Salmon os sardines are good but most people who work as pet detectives use tuna for some reaon - I guess it smells even more.

Some use a grid to figure out where the cat may be hiding and typically, indoor cats never stray far from home - unless they have been picked up by someone. Some people set out a cat friendly trap (with tuna - like when we trap ferals to spay and neuter them) or even use web cams to watch for the cats. Granted, traps end up with several cats, various animals like the occasional ground hog but if your kitty is hungry, you may find him or her that way. It has worked well for many many people with lost cats! Dogs are another matter again - they react quite differently than cats who will often hide.

I would search everywhere - the smallest nook and cranny, beneath homes near where you live. Go out every night with tuna or something that smells strong (or your kitty's favourite food) and call him or her by name. They may be afraid of you but you never know. Call every neighbour you know who might help (Do not call the ones you know who hate cats!) . Put posters everywhere - vets offices, supermarket bulletin boards, an SPCA place if you have one or other cat rescue organization. Register with every web site for lost cats. DO NOT give up. I have a friend - a journalist - who placed posters when she lost her cat in a car accident. He somehow got out of his carrier and she lived 4 hrs away. ONE YEAR later, someone saw one of her poster and thought it looked vaguely like a cat she was feeding. She took in the cat, called my friend and YES, it was her cat!!

So, there are ways and it does happen!

Good luck!

And welcome to AC!

NoahGrey
June 27th, 2007, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=SableCollie;444715]Shirley's lost pet is a dog
QUOTE]

Oops..my mistake....sorry. Wayyyy to tired!

ACO22

erykah1310
June 27th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Welcome ACO22

shirley1011
June 27th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks AC0 but yes Sable is a large shepherd/Norewegian Elkhound..and is
very scared of people..they call and he runs.
How do you approach a dog that is on the loose? Any suggestions.

Also Sable is lost 1-1/2 hours north and the Orillia SPCA are very aware of him and have his pictures right beside the door where they bring the strays in.

He has been seen in Orillia on Sunday night so I am hoping he is actually
not so afraid and is needing to be near people. Sable when he was home
would demand attention and can't picture him on his own.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks

SableCollie
June 27th, 2007, 06:51 PM
:offtopic: At this point you may want to buy or rent your own have-a-hart trap, so if Sable is staying in one general area you can set it. We have had very good luck with using the coyote sized traps on dogs that are too terrified to approach people. Since he seems to be getting very skittish, you might want to tell people to not try to approach him, to just call you as soon as they see him and perhaps put food in the yard to encourage him to stay. The problem is most of your general public are not dog savvy, and do not know how to approach a frightened dog. If I have to catch a very frightened dog, I crouch down a good distance away, facing sideways to the dog, avert my eyes and call softly. I will show the dog I have food, and drop some on the ground near me, but never toss it in the dog's direction because that normally scares them off. If the dog approaches, I continue to talk softly, offer food, and once I can reach him, scratch his chest or side gently, then slowly reach for the collar. Once I have a hold of the collar, I can slip a lead over their head. /:offtopic:

Sorry for the thread hijack, ACO22!!!!!!!!!!

rainbow
June 27th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Welcome to the forum, ACO22. I agree with Hazel and would love to see pics of your cat. :cat:

CyberKitten
June 27th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Oops, sorry - I am tired too - very looooooomng day (and I won't bore you with the detauls, too much sadness involved not to mention another hijack and I apologize for extending it.)

Sorry Shirley - not sure why I thought cat!! I do not know as much about finding dogs - I lost my poodle once when he wandered off from my yard and in a few minutes was nowhere to be seen. He came home the next morning (I did not sleep all night searching, calling neighbours and vets and everybody between). A white small poodle -not toy but miniature - he looked like another colour and had burdocks and you name it on his lovely coat. So it was off to the vet and then the groomer. Curiously, he never ran off to explore again - I think he realized he was not as much fun as he thought it might be, lol But I was one happy mommy to see him come home!

I would continue searching, and yes, traps would likely work for dogs -esp small ones but a very large one for a large dog too - but dogs are less afraid than cats and if your guy is friendly, he may visit with anyone. Yours, you said runs from people tho so in a way that might be a good thing - given bouchers and other nasties that frequent our cities now. On the minus side, of course, it is harder to grab him if he is found by someone.

This site has some helpful ideas for lost dogs:

http://www.pet-detective.com/

Good luck and we can return to welcoming AC! (and thank AC for allowing us to use the thread to help find your dog!)