Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advice please - crate training

brianna079
June 26th, 2007, 02:05 PM
We are awaiting the arrival of our puppy who we will pick up in 4 weeks. My question is regarding what is best, crate training or not?

I have had all kinds of dogs growing up - dobermans, toy poodle, chow chow, and a variety of muts. We had never crated any of our dogs, if we had a dog that was messy while we were out, we would put a gate up in the kitchen, entrance, or any other area of the house that the dog couldnt get into trouble. This is how we always managed with our dogs.

Now, my fiance and I will be getting our pup in 4 weeks, and we are debating whether we do how I have done in the past while growing up, or if we get a crate and crate train him? Once crate trained, will he be always accustomed to staying in the crate? I agree with keeping a puppy in a confined space while we are out, especially so he dosnt get hurt or into trouble. What I do not want is to have him once he is older to always be in a crate. Once mature, I would prefer him to free roam our place (once we can establish what he is allowed to do and not do!).

any advice or thoughts? thanks!

jessi76
June 26th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Once crate trained, will he be always accustomed to staying in the crate? I agree with keeping a puppy in a confined space while we are out, especially so he dosnt get hurt or into trouble. What I do not want is to have him once he is older to always be in a crate. Once mature, I would prefer him to free roam our place (once we can establish what he is allowed to do and not do!).

I prefer crate training. some of my reasons...

if you need to board your dog, he's used to the crate already.
if your dog needs to spend any time at the vet's due to illness, he's used to being crated.
if you travel, a crate comes in handy during transport and/or at your destination.
to contain a puppy who is still learning the rules of the house
to help housebreak
if you dog requires care at home due to illness/injury, a crate can provide a safe place to recover & heal.
a crate can actually be a place for your dog to escape hustle & bustle (i.e. during family parties, events, etc)

when done correctly, the crate is like their "den" or "room". you can slowly allow freedoms as the dog earns it. My dog is 2 yrs old, and I very RARELY close the crate door anymore, nor do I ask him to go in. In the morning when I get ready to leave, he voluntarily goes in and naps. in the evening, at bed time, he voluntarily goes in to sleep. When he's not feeling well, he always chooses to sleep in his crate, and when he's overwhelmed or just needs some quiet time, he goes in. He was hit by a car earlier this year (fully recovered now!) but the crate was nice to keep him calm, and prevent him from running & jumping while we were away at work.

IMO, there are MANY benefits to crating.

crazydays
June 26th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Hi Brianna

Exciting to get new pup! I am in the process of crate training my pup-3.2 month English Springer. "Rio" accepts the crate. its incredible how she goes in and we don't hear a peep out of her. Jessi76 brought up excellent reasons why crates are fantastic. Rio sleeps in the crate. We have her go in when we know she needs a nap--she really goes warp drive when awake. Also when we leave the house she also goes in. I find that she almost looks relieved to go in her crate for naps during the day. It sets the limit for her to rest. She has never gone the washroom in her crate!

Crating is excellent for both the dog and owner. There is nothing mean about it....please don't discipline by putting pup in crate....they then associate the crate as something they have done wrong to get stuck in there.

Good Luck!!!

PetFriendly
June 28th, 2007, 08:47 PM
My dog is 2 years old and loves his crates (yes he has more than one in the house) He has free range of the house, but prefers to sleep in his crates. He also has donut beds that he lounges in, but the crate is his "I'm taking a nap don't anyone wake me up" or "there are lots of people and noises and I just want to feel safe" place.

BusterBoo
June 28th, 2007, 08:54 PM
My Buster is 14 months old and up until about 9 months ago I was SOOOOO against crates! Then Buster started peeing all over the house during the day so I gave in and bought a crate and...HE LOVES IT! Actually, Harley also loves it so they take turns with the door open.

If I ever get another dog, I will definitely get him/her used to a crate! I would save a ton of $$ on shoes, belts, worries!

Good luck with your new puppy...what breed is he/she?

PetFriendly
June 28th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Hmmm, I should mention that while Charley stillhas his crates, we've long since removed the doors!

Lukka'sma
June 28th, 2007, 11:50 PM
My dog is close to a year and a half now and she loves her crate. She gets crated when we are not home but other than that she crates herself several times a day and I hear her go in the crate from time to time during the night too. I think she likes how cool the tin is to lay on. If I put a blanket in the crate she gets upset and doesn't spend time in there unless we ask her to go in.

Tommysmom
June 29th, 2007, 06:19 AM
I grew up never crating our dogs, too. First time I saw a crated dog I thought it was cruel! We got one for our puppy though, for all the reasons everybody has already given, and I'd never go without now. Tommy is 10 months old and he still goes in his crate any time we leave the house, and he loves it. He'll pop in there whenever he wants some quiet time, walks in voluntarily if we're getting ready to go out, brings food in there to eat, etc. It's HIS spot, the only place in the house nobody will bug him in any way. Thanks to his crate he's NEVER chewed a shoe, ruined any part of the house, gotten into the garbage or any of the things I remember dogs doing while I was growing up. It's protected him as well as our possessions. He has dog beds all over the house, but the crate is his little spot... we took it down once to bring it with us on a short trip, and he cried and cried when he saw us moving it! I'll never raise another dog without a crate.