Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Okay to leave dogs in hotel room ?

joeysmama
June 26th, 2007, 12:18 PM
We're are SOOO hoping to get away for a couple days. I spent a lot of bleary eyed hours on the computer trying to find someplace that's driving distance but far enough south to be warmer than it is here. (Although it's plenty warm here too--especially today.;) )

I found a place in Myrtle beach that takes pets. Its a Staybridge Suites and it looks pretty decent for our price range. It has a pool and nearby golf. It's not on the beach but it just a few miles down the road.

I've never boarded Cooper. My mom has stayed with him a few times but OH BOY !! did she complain the last time. Not about him--he's so good --but everything else--big family drama--no longer an option.

There's a woman at our church who kept him twice for a fee. He was still small and stayed in his crate at night and when she wasn't home. She has a cocker spaniel, poodle mix, about his size and they seemed to get along but now that they would be alone without supervision while she's out I would be nervous. Plus--both times that he stayed there he came home with really smelly breath that lasted all week and diarrhea.:mad: I'm not taking him thre again.

When I went away for two nights in the spring he stayed with my cousin who treated him like royalty. That was great. But I hate to ask her to keep him for 4 nights (and then if we get home late and have to wait until morning it's another night) because she can't let her cockatiel out when Cooper's there and I think that's a long time to ask someone to be inconvenienced you know?

Okay---sorry this is getting way too long !:rolleyes:

My question is this: If we take him with us to this pet friendly hotel would it be okay for him to stay in the room if we go to dinner or something? I expect that we'll have hime with us a lot but would you treat the suite the way you would your home and go out for an hour or two without the pup? I'm really nervous about that. Someone coming into the room for whatever reason and letting him out. That sort of thing.

Anyone have any experience?

SableCollie
June 26th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Always check with the hotel first. Some places don't allow dogs to be left in the rooms alone at any time. If you can leave the dog alone, it's always best to crate them. You don't want to take the chance that the dog may decide to chew something or have an accident. Always let someone know if you are leaving the dog in the room. My friend works as housekeeping in a hotel, and has had problems with opening doors to clean, only to have dogs charge at her, barking. You can request that no one enter the room while the dog is in there, and hang a "do not disturb" sign on the door. If you think there is any chance the dog might bark/whine when left alone, then don't attempt it.

I know when I looked into dog-friendly hotels and B&B's last year, I could not find a single one in the area I was looking for that allowed dogs to be left in the room even when you were at mealtimes. They all had their pet regulations posted right on their websites. I eventually decided to just leave my dog at home, under my dad's care while I vacationed.

jessi76
June 26th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Personally, I'd never leave my dog alone in a hotel room for any length of time. I just wouldn't be comfortable with it... what if he damaged the room? what if he was let out by a hotel staff? what if he was stolen? what if he got injured? what if he had major anxiety being left alone in a NEW place? how would he act? would he scream, bark, cry and destroy things?

I'd much rather board him, and/or, ask a friend/family member, and KNOW he was safe.

I think if you plan to take your dog with you on vacation, you should plan accordingly - eat at outdoor establishments that allow dogs, or order in. (again, this is just my personal opinion)

Winston
June 26th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I have travelled to Montreal skiing and to Ottawa and took my boy both times...I did worry about him being in a hotel room by himself but you have a sign to place on the door for any staff members. This is a hard one! I trust my boy completely but one nevers knows what would happen...Worse case is paying for any damage!!

When I stayed in Ottawa they were a Staybridge Suites I think and they were great!

You should most definately read the fine print on the web site or ask the hotel but many places say they are pet friendly but the catch is that you cannot leave the dog alone in the room unless crated...its usually in the fine print!

Good Luck! It gets easier after a few times....I could just never leave my guy in a kennell!

Cindy

Corrie
June 26th, 2007, 03:38 PM
We have taken our Westie with us a few times and have left her in our hotel or motel room while we go out for dinner and have had no problems at all! We are going to North Bay this weekend for an anniversary party for a friend and are again taking her with us and she will be alone while we are at dinner.

Have fun in Myrtle Beach!

Shaykeija
June 26th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Too bad you are not closer to me. I critter sit on a regular basis and I have a riot with the pookies. I regularly have a toy poodle and a Shih Tzu stay with me. Last time I had the poodle he stayed for 3 weeks. :goodvibes:

BusterBoo
June 26th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Too bad you are not closer to me. I critter sit on a regular basis and I have a riot with the pookies. I regularly have a toy poodle and a Shih Tzu stay with me. Last time I had the poodle he stayed for 3 weeks. :goodvibes:

Are you anywhere near Ottawa??????

We drove from Ottawa to Halifax in May and stayed at a motel with the boys. We had Buster's crate and when we went for dinner/drink (no more than 1.5 hours) we could hear Buster crying. We had asked for a room at the end of the motel, where there were not many guests and it was OK....but it broke my heart to hear my boy that upset. Harley was fine.....he is just an "old man" doggie!

Shaykeija
June 26th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Sorry in Sudbury. lol I would take them in a heartbeat. More to snuggle with at night lol.:cloud9:

BusterBoo
June 26th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Sorry in Sudbury. lol I would take them in a heartbeat. More to snuggle with at night lol.:cloud9:

My boys love to snuggle!!!!!!

Maybe there is someone in the Ottawa area who doggie-sits for weekends???

Smiley14
June 26th, 2007, 07:57 PM
I've stayed with my dog in hotels several times as well, but I've never left him unattended. Most hotels actually don't allow it, but you can read their pet policy to find out. I have stayed at a few that allowed it, but I still didnt feel comfortable doing that personally.

When I travel with my dog, I just know that I will need to make certain adjustments. If the weather allows, we'll bring him with us and leave him in the car while we eat. Or, if it's too hot or too cold, we simply don't go out to eat. We'll get food to go or order room service and eat in the room or get food to go and take it to a park to eat or to an outside eating area, that kind of thing. It may not be as nice as dining in at a restaurant, but that's the concession you make when traveling with a pet, in my opinion. And for me, bringing my dog far outweighs any small inconveniences like getting food to go and eating in the room or someplace outside. We just know these kind of trips will be more casual. :) We usually end up making picnics out of meal time for the most part and find it to be actually just as enjoyable! :)

We do the same with our touring plans. We research places to visit and find things to do that are pet friendly and when shopping, take turns standing outside with the dog while the other is inside looking around. Again, to me, it's just a small concession. :shrug:

Whatever you end up doing, have a great trip!!!!!!

joeysmama
June 27th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Oh Shaykeija I would give my eye teeth to have someone like you around !!! :pray: Maybe we should consider vacationing in Canada next year?

I know that if we take the pup it will mean making concessions. That's always a given when Cooper is along. I could board him but he thinks he's a child and would wonder why he was in a cage with other doggies. ;)

I need to find someone besides my cousin who can care for him. You just never know when something will come up you know? Like next year when my daughter graduates I won't be able to take him to all the events surrounding that weekend so it will be better to leave him behind. And if Lisa isn't available I need a back up. My friend on the next block is very willing to come over, or have her daughter come, several times a day and walk and feed and play with him. But he would still be alone in the house. And besides being lonely what if there were a fire? That's okay if I'm just going to be gone for a long day--to have someone pop in but not an overnight.

Our groomer said the kennel near here is wonderful and attached to the owners home. She said that the people who run it will go out and buy special food for the doggies who get finicky. That sort of thing. But still......... I'm such a worrier.:rolleyes:

Smiley14
June 27th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Have you researched any dog walkers or pet sitters in your area? I have a dog walker that I found through Pet Sitters International, and she is WONDERFUL! I've used her for over three years now and besides doing dog walking, she alsoo does pet sitting for me when needed. She will come out to my home three times a day to feed, walk, and care for my pets. She also does things like water my plants and gets my mail, that kind of thing.

Here's the link for PSI, you can try searching for any in your area perhaps?

http://www.petsit.com/

Or maybe you've already tried this. It's so hard finding someone you trust to watch your babies! I interviewed a couple different people before settling on Ali. Good luck!!!!!

SnowDancer
June 27th, 2007, 08:18 PM
My dog goes to a home boarder's when we go out of town. He loves her and has a "relationship"! going I think with one of her dogs - both are neutered. I found her through my vet and dog groomer. Your vet might know of someone reliable - this lady also cares for my vet's dogs as needed.

TMac
June 28th, 2007, 07:21 PM
I'd call the local animal hospital and see if they have any recommendations. We did this when we visited the Adirondacks/Lake Placid. The hotel we stayed at was pet friendly but we were not allowed to leave Toby alone in the room at any time.

The local animal hospital had some great recommendations. Not only did the vet tech there offer to watch him while we were at our banquet dinner but she also gave us the number of a fabulous pet sitter nearby. We ended up going with the pet sitter and she was AWESOME. Her place was a doggie's dreamland and she was sooooo good to Toby. They had another old dog (their own dog) there for company too. He didn't want to leave!

As an aside, if anyone is going to the ADK's and need a pet sitter make sure to message me and I'll give you the contact info for this wonderful lady.

TMac

glitterless
June 29th, 2007, 03:23 AM
Yep, I agree that boarding sounds like the best way to go. I know that there are always horror stories with anything, but some kennels sound more like doggy spas! Maybe you could find something like that.

I work in a pet friendly hotel. We don't charge extra for pets, we don't have rules specific to pets, and we don't mention anything about pets being left alone in the room. Maybe I'm naive, but I assume that most people have enough common sense to know which animals are okay alone and which are not.

I've travelled with 2 large dogs. We took them every where with us when we weren't alone in the rooms. I don't remember anyone asking us not to leave the dogs alone, but we didn't even think twice about it; one dog chews, the other whines!

rainbow
June 29th, 2007, 03:32 AM
Maybe I'm naive, but I assume that most people have enough common sense to know which animals are okay alone and which are not.

I agree. But, even if I thought my dog would be okay left alone, I would not leave him/her. It would be a strange place for them and I wouldn't feel right about leaving them there.

glitterless
June 29th, 2007, 03:47 AM
That's true.

We had some guests stay here a few weeks ago. They were here for about 2 months in total as they had just moved to the area and were waiting for the closing on their new house so they could move in. They had a beagle & two cats. They took the beagle almost every where they went, but the cats made the hotel room their temporary home. As far as I know everything was fine.

I guess it all depends on the scenario. I wouldn't trust my 2 neutered cats alone; I KNOW they would spray in a new place.

I think I would be most worried about the pets somehow escaping. Extra charges for bills can be dealt with, but replacing my buddies is not an option! The DND sign on the door should be sufficient. Hotel staff will not even knock on your door unless there is some kind of emergency, and a warning to the staff that dogs are alone in the room should definitely be enough to keep anyone out.