Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy was sick and passed away....

emmaotter
June 26th, 2007, 11:39 AM
:candle: Hello all,
I am new to this board and have a few questions to ask that maybe someone can help me with. I will start with how our pug puppy became sick.

We picked Ziggy up on June 6th at the airport (he was eight weeks old). He arrived fine and I did notice he had "soft serve" stools from day one. This was my first time having a puppy shipped and I was very nervous. I made an appt. with the vet but they could not squeeze me in right away (over booked) so I was going to have to wait about 1 1/2 weeks. I also noticed that Ziggy would randomly regurgitate in his mouth and have stomach jerks. Also, he would randomly have shaky legs (I figured from running)?. On the night before Father's day Ziggy started throwing up his food (Saturday). I thought it was due to the fact he sucked his food down too fast. On Father's day he seemed a little tired and lethargic and that is when I started to get concerned. I made an appt. stat on Monday morning with the vets to check him out (emergency visit). He did not have a temp..looked ok with his hydration, but he was depressed and he moaned when you squeezed his belly. I gave the doctor a stool sample and was told he had coccidia. He also had a very bad case of ear mites. They also wanted to run an x-ray on his stomach to make she he did not eat anything bad.

Everything came back fine with the x-rays and the vets were at a loss with what was going on. The medication they gave me for the coccidia he could not keep down (pill form) and he was having trouble eating and keeping his water down. By Tuesday I was hand feeding him with pureed liver and rebound water. He was slowly declining and I freaked out. I put him back into the vets for iv treatment on Wed. and for them to run tests on him. He still did not have a fever (which is like the Parvo virus) but was very, very ill. He died early Thursday morning at 4:25 am. I was completely devastated especially being 7 months pregnant my emotions are sky high. I still can not get out of this funk and depression over what happened ;(

I feel the vets did not do everything they could. I was told he was going to get anti-biotics in his IV and when I came to pick him up they never game him the meds. They told me they could not test for Parvo in his stool (but they said they could after he died)!

Here is Ziggy's blood work

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/emmaotter/Vet23.jpg

I guess what my question is are there any other reasons why a puppies WBC can be low besides Parvo? My vet was no help and very impersonal with no answers for me. I believe the puppy came to us sick (we are building a case now) but i just do not feel it was Parvo. I am quite confused.

Also, we are looking to get an older puppy now (12 weeks) who will have had four Parvo prevenitive shots by 12 weeks. Can the puppy still get Parvo?

Any insight on this would be wonderful - Emily

Capt. Jack
June 26th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Emmaotter - we would love to see the vets results on the bloodwork but would you please black out the name and address of the vet first.

emmaotter
June 26th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Names are now removed - Emily

Love4himies
June 26th, 2007, 12:09 PM
What a sad experience for you!:grouphug: I am sorry, can't offer any help, only my sympathy. Have you contacted the Pug breeder?

:rip: Ziggy

emmaotter
June 26th, 2007, 12:12 PM
We are actually building a case against the breeder atm. :sad:

NoahGrey
June 26th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Sorry that you lost your puppy Ziggy.

I know this is my personal opinion but I disagree with purchasing animals from breeders. I am an Animal Control Officer and work for a Humane Society. We have TONS of homeless, unwanted animals in our shelter that WOULD LOVE a home. And yes, we even get purebreds from time to time.

With Breeders you usually do not know what you are getting and ALOT of them are backyard breeders..who are only in it for a profit and not the animal's welfare.

I would also like to add most Humane Societies animals are vaccinated, dewormed, chiped and spayed or nuetered before they leave to their forever home. You end up getting a GREAT animal, saved a life and didn't pay an arm and a leg.

Please don't support breeders...adopt from your local Humane Society/animal shelter.

ACO22

emmaotter
June 26th, 2007, 01:17 PM
We have three very small children and one due in September...we do not want to buy from a pet store and the shelter would not let us adopt due to having small children..so, we were at a loss there ;(

jessi76
June 26th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Emily, my condolences to you and your family on the loss of your puppy.

sounds to me as if this little one arrived ill (and was probably shipped out the same way).

while I agree there are MANY wonderful dogs & pups of all shapes, sizes, and breeds who NEED homes, if we all stopped supporting the GOOD, ETHICAL, and RESPONSIBLE breeders, many breeds would be lost. I prefer to get my pets from shelters or rescue, however, I do think people should continue to support the good breeders out there.

It sounds like the breeder you chose to use wasn't up to par, and shipped you a sick pup. Perhaps you can locate a pug rescue if you choose to get another (the only one I know of is in Vermont - Green Mountain Pug Rescue).

best of luck with your case, with overcoming this tragedy, and with your pregnancy. I hope you & your family can find closure on this soon.

emmaotter
June 26th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Thank you all for your kindness and support..it is nice to know all the animal lovers out there.

BPISS
June 26th, 2007, 01:58 PM
With Breeders you usually do not know what you are getting and ALOT of them are backyard breeders..who are only in it for a profit and not the animal's welfare.

Yes many are, but there ARE reputable Breeders out there, you have to do a lot of homework to find them though. Personally I have had two rescues, and both came with a lot of baggage. Not everyone is equipped to deal with it, especially if they have young Children.

clm
June 26th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I'm so sorry you lost your puppy. I don't think you can really in all fairness blame the vet for it all. They were overbooked and couldn't take him right away, you should have found another vet as soon as possible. Puppies and kittens who are ill, need attention asap. It's so hard to find a good breeder, but worth the wait to find one that you're sure is breeding for the love and betterment of the breed. Don't beat yourself up about losing the puppy, some things just aren't meant to be. Take your time and find another puppy when you're ready, hopefully much healthier.

Cindy

pags
June 26th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Emily -- I'm so sorry about your puppy. :( It's so sad what you and your family have had to go through -- and I hope at the very least - in the end - you get some compensation from the breeder. Many hugs.. Hang in there.:grouphug: