Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I have a question!

bubbles2007
June 25th, 2007, 07:02 PM
I have a chihuahua that i am almost possitive is pregnant, i say her being breed several times. the same male of course! anyways at what stage do they start to produce milk? i am pretty sure she is about 5 to 6 weeks in term. can you help me please.
thank you

Shaykeija
June 25th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Go see the vet......

luckypenny
June 25th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Please consult a vet as you have no experience. Why would you allow your dog to be bred and just stand by and watch? :sad:

erykah1310
June 25th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Do you understand this entire conversation????

I want you to read this. The answering person is a serious, dedicated, reliable breeder.

THE COST OF BREEDING
by Annonamous
Circulated on the Internet. We felt this one should be read by all potential breeders.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN,

HI. IM LOOKING TO BREED MY 3YR. OLD PUG JAKE. HE IS PAPERED, IM LOOKING TO HAVE HIM FIXED SOON BUT I WOULD LIKE ONE OF HIS NAME SAKE TO CARRY ON HIS NAME. IM NOT LOOKING FOR MONEY BUT I WOULD LIKE ONE OF THE PUPS. PLEASE GET IN TOUCH WITH ME MAYBE WE CAN TALK. MAYBE YOU CAN PUT ME IN TOUCH WITH SOME ONE WHO CAN. THANK-YOU

Hi Gossimer,

This proposal sounds intriguing. I'm currently looking for a fawn stud for my BISS Ch Larimar's Stardust CD, CGC (BIS/BISS Ch Larimar's Chip of the Old Block ROM*** x Ch Jill's Win-Chimes of Lil Mite ROM***).

What line is Jake from and what is his percentage/ratio for linebreeding/inbreeding/cofactor? I apologize; but I'm not familiar with his callname.

I'll need to know Jake's CERF, OFA patella luxation, and OFA CHD certification numbers, T3 & T4 test results, number of occurrences of hemivertebrae, PDE, and cleft palate through the fifth generation. Just to be on the safe side, I'll need a negative brucellosis and bordetella licensed veterinarian certification from you. It's not a bad idea to get a VetGen phenotyping either.

For the future Get, I'll also need copies of Jake's titles and his AKC and/or CKC registration number(s). I'm especially interested in copies of his PDCA ROM and additional stars awards.

Since there's no stud fee involved, I assume you'll want pick? Dog or bitch? Will you be willing to agree to 1/2 the cesearean if the cause should arise? If the whelps are larger than 6 ounces at partrition, it will be necessary. This seems only fair. Last time I got a good break and it was only $500, but unfortunately that vet retired this year and the new owner has raised everything to almost double! It's hard to find a good pug vet!

Will you be doing a natural or artificial? If artificial, I'll need you to send the frozen semen Overnight Express Mail. I'll be willing to split the cost; $500 should cover it unless you are on the East Coast, then I'll send $750. Please let me know where to send the check. I think it's only fair that you take care of the semen analysis expense since I will be doing the whelping and training. You should be able to find a Canine Semen Bank and Collection/Storage in your area. Be sure to get at least three vials. The last time I looked into having it done, it was about $900.00--a lot less than before since more and more people are doing it.

If Jake does natural, let me know which airport to ship to (if you are out of CA). To take care of my dam, I'll need to have an overnight or early, early morning delivery time. Since it's getting warmer now, it's best to plan for you to pick her up after midnight. Even with a cool down mat you never know with these brachceapholoids ( I probably mispelt that, but you know what I mean! ;). Be sure to take MC/VISA or cash since the counter-to-counter service does not accept checks. Let me know after they tie three times and then I will let you know the return arrangements. She ovulates late, so she may be two or three weeks at your house. I'll get her to you by the tenth day just to be sure we don't miss it or she absorbs.

Double check with your home owners insurance plan to see that it covers visiting matrons in case anything should happen. A BISS CH/CD/CGC should be covered for a minimum of $5K.

Since her cycle is so late, you'll need to purchase Solid Gold. I can't send enough in the crate. It generally runs $40 a bag. Be sure to get the Seameal, Pet Tabs Plus, Concept-A-Bitch, and Red Raspberry Tea Leaves too.

Also, she'll need 500 mg. of Ascorbic Acid, 200 mg. of Tocopheryls twice a day with tepid water. Not too hot because she will grow finicky. Be careful not to give her A palmitate since this can increase the chance of cleft palate and I don't want to have to cull.

It's a good idea to give her organically grown-pesticide free calf liver. You'll need to prepare it yourself since she doesn't like pre-packaged brands. It's best to buy it in 50 lb. bulk and boil it all at once. Be sure to keep skimming the foam off every 15 minutes because she doesn't like it slimy. Bake it afterwards until it's a good baiting consistency then vacuum-pack and freeze it. The whole process should only take about 12 hours. In a hurry you could get it down to 10 hours.

You won't have to worry about splitting the vaccination costs for the litter. I give my own now and that will save you half of the normal $480 or so. You can help out with the title rebates if you'd like.

Your pick should be ready at 12 weeks. I'll let you know the whelping date so that you can plan the transportation. I assume you already own a Sherpa? That's the best way to go if you're out of CA, otherwise you can drive to pick it up--just bring along a Vari-Kennel.

What are your club affiliates? I don't recognize your email address off the top of my head. I'm DPCA, PDCA, NCPC. If your not PDCA, we can work on getting you your two letters of recommendation.

Well, let me know when you have all the necessary paperwork done. Also, please send me Jake's AKC certified 4 generation with coat colors and his best win shots so that I can make colored copies.

Sincerely

Jane

Also go to these sites:

http://www.iupui.edu/~ihls400/responsible_breeder.html

http://www.angelfire.com/nc/clearviewrottweiler4/breeder.html

Must Read: http://www.cyberpet.com/cyberdog/articles/general/breeding.htm

CyberKitten
June 25th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Unless your chihuahua is a champion dog - in which case you would not be asking these questions - she needs to be spayed as soon as possible!!!! If you do not know how to care for puppies, please have her spayed before it is too late and you jeopardize her health!!

NO dog or cat should ever be bred unless s/he is show quality and has won several Grand Championships and has been vet tested and genetic testing. And no animal should be bred more than once a year even under those circumstances!!

If you do not have any experience with this, with all due respect, you need to either gain some - attend some dog shows and show your dog- and you must first ensure she is of the quality necessary to be bred. If not, there is no way you should be doing this! Just recently, a close friend who breeds Yorkies (she has two champions) has opted not to breed her girls ever again because so many Yorkies need homes. I am so thrilled to have heard her say that!

I myself have three show quality cats - one valued at $1200 and the others at $2500. They are spayed and that was one of the first vet procedures they had (well two of them anyway - the others came to me from a different route but even they, with more championships than Canadian Idol has contenders - I do not care how much their financial value is. They are my babies and are important to me as cats, not breeders. I do not care what breed they are - they are my babies and I do not want them developing pyometra or mammary cancer because they were spayed too late or

You should also be aware that if you breed you must meet the following guidelines: (and these are just the ones I can think of)

- Have lots of money to spend on this hobby because it is a costly venture- vet bills,travel to shows, genetics testing, food and toys and all the usual things many times over for puppies and mom.

- Be registered with a reputable organization (and not just a piece of paper from a puppy mill!)

- Have a show quality dog. The breeder you purchase your dog from can tell you this if you do not know. If you have any other kind of dog (even a cute pet quality or mixed breed, however adorable, with respect ,you have no business breeding. This is more for the dog's sake - people need to know what they are doing and only dogs of the best quality in good health from several generations of good breeding need apply.)

- If you have a show quality dog, attend and learn the show circuit.

- Find a mentor.

- Find a vet

- Study and learn as much as you can about breeding dogs - meaning not just books but helping others and learning from them. Work with your mentor to discover what you need to know.

- Have a good fund for complications and a vet on speed dial. So,e dogs will need C sections and not all puppies will be born healthy. In those cases, you need thousands of dollars to spend to save them and help them live a normal life.

- You need to learn how to screen would be adopters. You will never ever recoup your losses (It is just impossible, unless you are a backyard breeder or running a horrible puppymill) but you do need to spend money on finding the right family for your puppies. You need to do home visits.

- If you do not have a male dog, you need to know the ins and outs of contracts with owners of male dogs. They often get first pick of the litter which can leave you with no puppies on some occasions and you have to pay for the vet and genetic testing of the dog - and to make sure it is one with the proper pedigree.

- You need to adapt your home for the dogs and the puppies. This can be costly of course but if you really want to take on this hobby, be prepared for the money pit, as my Yorkie friend tells me.

- You need to travel to the various shows so be prepared to travel around the country and to the US if necessary to keep up your dog's Championships.

It is not easy to become a championship breeder - and that is for a very good reason!! If you are asking the questions you pose now, my guess is you are quite a few yrs off from pursuing this objective, If you do seek it, start attending dog shows now. If you do breed your own dog now, you are asking for trouble, literally endangering your dog's and her puppies' lives (Can you cope with the complications and can you care for orphan puppies if mom rejects them? (something that does occur on occasion.)

Not all dogs like the show circuit, even those who do have perfect breed standards. So you may have to have a few dogs before one likes the process and then takes a year or so to win championships and is eligible to have puppies that can be registered.

Have you registered all your dogs under a particular name?

My point is this is not an easy hobby - and the people I have met or know who do it do it as a hobby spend a small fortune on their dogs and this. Many make excellent salaries or they would never be able to afford the costly travel and vet care and adjusting their home so the dogs can have a special room - even if they live with you, you need nursery with all that entails - special heating pads, the proper food and you should attend nutritional seminars or at least consult a veterinary nutritionist. (I am consulting one now for my cat as I transition them to home made food and it is about $200 an hour and that is actually a pretty good fee, she gave me a professional discount since I am in the health care field, if not a vet!)

You need to think about this some more before you progress with it. And no reputable breeder allows a dog to have more than one litter a year. Sure, some of these so called designer breeds - aka fancy name for a mutt - and backyard breeders do but there are lower than low and many in the rescue business would with a good heart hall each and every one of these people off to jail. I know I would when I see the results f ill informed so called breeders. Please do not join their ranks. If you thin you can afford this as a hobby follow the directions, get a mentor, find a show quality dog who wins some championships and you may be able to achieve this goal. But it will take time and patience and lots of money and good vet care on your part!!

rainbow
June 26th, 2007, 12:39 AM
I agree with all the other posters. Please take your dog to the vet asap. :pawprint: