Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat isn't eating

NathanB
June 25th, 2007, 06:00 PM
First of all, sorry if i'm not so clear. You see, english isn't my native language, but i'll try to be as clear as i possibly can. And i would really appreciate if you read my post, and tried to help me out since this cat means ALOT to me.

I have a cat, that closes in on her 14:th year alive. She was very healthy and jumped/ran around like a normal cat. But a week ago or so she began getting "tired" and walked up the stairs instead of running in the speed of light.
Later she didn't come home as often as she usually did (Yeah, we let her out when she wants out). On top of this, she havn't been eating ANYTHING that we've seen, nor has she been drinking anything.

Tried alot of different brands of cat food, but without any results. Changed the water to fat milk, but she doesn't drink that either.

We found a dead bird a few feet from our house, and it occured to me that it might be "food" poisoning or something similiar? :confused:

Well, when we were about to take her to the vet she didn't come home for like 2-3 days, and now when she finally got back she's really skinny. Lost ALOT of weight under the last week.

The time is now 1 AM here in Sweden where i live, so there isn't any vet available. But im going to keep her inside and take her to the vet ASAP.

She purs normally, and WERE a cat who wanted alot of attention. Always came to us and wanted us to pat her and stuff like that. Always came to my bed at night lying right next to me. But now she just wants to be alone. She walks away when im trying to pat her, but she's not aggresive or anything, never have been.

Do you have any clue of what it could be? And how i could get some food into her system? Is it normal behaviour? Is she just old and wants to "give up"?

jessi76
June 25th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I would simply make her as comfortable as can be for the time being (food and water available), and get to the nearest vet AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

I'm not sure how it works in Sweden, but in my area (Massachusetts) if I call my vet after hours, the recording lists information (phone & address) about emergency vets that are open 24 hrs a day.

I STRONGLY urge you to seek an animal ER if one is within driving distance. do a search online for any in your area, or use a phonebook.

I would not try changing foods at this point. it can be any number of things, only a vet will be able to tell for sure.

please post an update when you can - good luck!

Dr Lee
June 25th, 2007, 07:17 PM
I agree with Jessi! She needs medical attention as soon as possible. And don't give up. My goal with my cats patients is to get them all to 20. So at 14 year of age - lets see if it is a solvable problem. Likely your vet will need to run some tests.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :pawprint:

krdahmer
June 25th, 2007, 07:32 PM
You could use a syringe to get some water directly into her mouth until you can get to a Vet. Water would be the top priority if she has lost a lot of weight and doesn't drink.

:pray: I hope that your kitty will be ok.

JanM
June 25th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I do hope your kitty will be ok! About a month ago my cat ate a bird and he was very, very sick after - wouldn't eat or drink and wouldn't move either. I took him to an emergency vet (this was on a weekend) and the vet pumped water into him, gave him Vitamin B and an appetite stimulator. Shadow made it through and is fine now but it was a terrible ordeal for both of us! I found out later that many birds have been dying of salmonella and I'm sure that's what made Shadow so sick.

So - get your cat to the vet as soon as you can - and the water by syringe is a wonderful idea - I wish I had thought of that when Shadow was sick...

Good luck!

NathanB
July 3rd, 2007, 05:02 AM
Well, here's a little update.
The kidneys were failing, and there was nothing to do about it. So we had to put our lovely kitten down. :mad: :yell: :yell: :yell:

Thank you for your help though. :lovestruck:

CyberKitten
July 3rd, 2007, 01:55 PM
I only saw this thread now - am so sorry for your loss!!! :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
July 3rd, 2007, 02:36 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, NathanB :grouphug: I, too, missed this thread earlier. I wish things had gone better for your kitty. She knew she was well-loved, though. :candle: And she was a very lucky cat to have had you. :grouphug:

bendyfoot
July 3rd, 2007, 02:52 PM
:sad: Very sad for you NathanB, for the loss of your kitty :sad:

rainbow
July 3rd, 2007, 07:09 PM
I am very sorry for your loss. :grouphug: :candle: