Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Unilateral nasal discharge, on the right path?

jawert1
June 25th, 2007, 04:57 PM
It's been a real long time since I've had to post a health issue on either of my dogs, but this one's a bit of a mess. Peaches (my Shepherd X) has had unilateral nasal discharge for a little over 2 weeks. Of course, by day 3 I had her off to the vet's, and we were given a 10 day run of Baytril. She was no better, so we went back. This morning she was sedated, scoped and had her nasal cavity flushed. There were no bony masses on her head x-rays, but there's "something" back there. We're being sent to an internist on Thursday, and my vet has performed all of the tasks the internist asked for (3rd blood panel, chest x-rays, biopsy). While my vet is attempting to remain upbeat, he's also prepped me for the results to show cancer.

I'm trying to get the best grasp on things as I can, I went in this morning thinking she simply snarfed up a bug, but now, I'm wondering what course this can take and if anyone else has had a dog that wound up with benign sinus masses (and what was done).

jesse's mommy
June 25th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Oh jawert, here's lots of hugs for you and Peaches from me and Jesse :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Don't forget a prayer :pray: and some fingers crossed :fingerscr

sira
July 6th, 2007, 03:34 PM
My dog is having the exac same thing. About 10 days ago it his left nostril started to have discharge, yesterday his nostril had turned pink (usually black) and looked raw on the inside. I took him to the vet and monday he is having the same procedure as your did. I'm afraid it might be cancer too. I had a dog about 15 years ago that had a nose tumor.

hazelrunpack
July 6th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Our springer had a mass--I suspect it was cancerous, though we never knew for sure. We treated the irritation from the nasal dripping with vaseline and that was about all we could do. It was in a bad place and couldn't be reached to biopsy without messy surgery, so we just treated the symptoms.

mummummum
July 6th, 2007, 09:33 PM
:sorry: Jawert ~ any news on Peaches ?

jawert1
August 2nd, 2007, 11:19 PM
Hey all, I do have an update on Peaches. It's been an eventful month and a half here, she's had the full run of tests, scans, blood work and biopsies and the news is not good. She has a large tumour in her left sinus and nasal passage and it's cancerous (adenocarcinoma). Hazel, I opted to go a similar way you did with your Springer. Because it's in such a lousy position (her biopsy procedure was awful), and the surgery to remove it is just heinous (with no guarantee that all will be removed or that it won't return fast), she's now on prednisone for the goop, which while it has it's own set of issues, I'm not having to chase her down to wipe her nose all the time. Her energy has returned slightly, though her weight is down a bit, so I have to try to remedy that. On the whole though, we're hanging in here in VA and I'm spending as much time as I can with her and Simon, and playing as much as possible while she's still willing to play "Mommy throw that stuffie and I won't bring it back!" :angel: