Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Traveling with westjet

Jenmlf
June 25th, 2007, 04:27 PM
And my shih Tzu Maltese is coming with us. He will be in the cabin with us and I'm wondering if any of you have traveled with your dog in the cabin? If so what kind of soft sided pet carrier did you use?

Also did you give your pet anything? I have heard baby gravol is a good to give to keep them calm, thoughts??

Thanks so much!

mafiaprincess
June 25th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I wouldn't drug your dog with anything. If your dog seems at all out of it they may and have to people I know deny the animal boarding. Most people use sherpa soft sided carriers as they are airline approved.

Jenmlf
June 25th, 2007, 06:15 PM
ok thanks, I'll talk with my vet. I just wanted to check here to see what personal experiences were.

gomez
June 25th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I travelled with my kitty form the UK to the US a few years ago - she was in the cabin with me ina Sherpa Carrier - She did very well, was very quiet and happy to travel - the carrier fit ncely under the seat in front - it was an 8 hour flight and she managed to stay clean until we got home.

DO NOT sedate your pet with anything, not only will they potentially deny boarding, but their blood pressure can get way too low with the pressurisation if they are in any way sedated, I would not even give a homeopathic remedy - too dangerous...

Pets in general travel very well -

Our Gomez recently travelled to Australia with us, not in the cabin, but he did very well on the 24 hour flight...

Have a good trip!

Corrie
June 27th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I have travelled with my Westie in the cabin and she was wonderful! Much better behaved that most children on the flight. Why do all the kids seem to sit near me??????
She sat at my feet (in her carrier of course) for the take off and landing, but for the rest of the flight I held the carrier on my lap. I sometimes patted or talked to her through the mesh of the carrier, but she was just chilling out, not bothered by anything.

We go from Toronto to Tampa, so about 3 hours...when we arrived I took my Charlotte out of the terminal for a little pee by a palm tree while my husband collected the luggage.

I must also second the idea of not drugging or sedating them...my Vet said that a sedated dog had much more trouble regulating thier body temperature..so best to leave them alone.

Love4himies
June 27th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Drugged one of my cats on a trip across Canada as per my Vet's advice and he received the sedative the first day and that was it. He was much happier not drugged (not that he was happy at all through out the trip)!

CyberKitten
June 27th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I do not advise drugging your cat!!! Especially NOT with gravol which often works the opposite way it should. or I suppose try it with him before you go to see how it affects him but even then, when there is no need for meds, why give him a "bad trip" so to speak with that medication. Gravol can pack a punch - and I do research on meds - I do not believe in fooling around with them! I have also seen the results if what a cat on these meds have done - by treating children attacked by them when they needed ER treatment!!

So NO NO NO No and I do not how I can emphasize it any more, NO and NO to meds!!! In addition, a sleepy cat on a trip in an airplane with less oxygen - even the cabin has less oxygen - is not a safe combination!! A sleepy cat can smother on blankets or get caught in something. There is just no need for it.

The only thing I have ever used and this was sparingly was cocculine - which is an anti nausea organic compound (not a drug exactly and I have no idea how it works tho some European studies have good outcomes, independent ones, I have no faith in the ones done by the company that makes if obviously). Some people. use Rescue remedy as well. neither of these have any side effects and the cat is not drugged and sedated as s/he would be with stronger mneds like diazepam or gravol.

I have travelled with one of my Siamese in the cabin with absolutely no problems and I would worrty about her too much if I knew she was on a med she was not used to.

Good luck - but whatever you do, do not give her gravol, You could luck out and s/he does well with it but you could also find you have an aggravated, meowing hyper cat and the airline won't tolerate that and more importantly, think of how your cat will feel!

Jenmlf
June 29th, 2007, 04:00 PM
It's not a cat I'm traveling with it's a dog. I called my vet on this matter and she said I could give him half a 25mg tablet and this would just help him remain calm. She also said that if he is fine in the car then he would most likely be fine in the plane, so, with that said, I think we are going to have it with us just in case but we are going to NOT give him anything from the start.

Thanks for your advice