Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Supplement/herbal remedy to promote wound healing?

bendyfoot
June 25th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Does anyone know of a safe, proven, supplement or herbal remedy or other "alternative" medicine that we could try giving our 7 month old puppy who just had surgery? She had her lower foreleg amputated last week and the incision is just not even STARTING to close, and she's popped stiches AND staples already. We're getting worried we may need to remove more of her leg if she doesn't heal. Anything that is used to promote wound healing would be wonderful...

SableCollie
June 25th, 2007, 07:56 PM
You could check out these links...they're not dog-specific, but they do list supplements for wound healing.

http://www.peacehealth.org/kbase/cam/hn-1056000.htm

http://www.newstarget.com/021797.html

Good luck!!! :fingerscr

krdahmer
June 25th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Traumeel, it's for injuries (not sure if that includes wounds).

ChancesMom
June 25th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Hi bendy!

Vitamin C seems to be a staple that will help with everything.. The dose for C should be at least split in 2, if not 3 for best absorption, unless your vet is willing to give it intravenously. Vitamin B is another good one. You should call your vet and ask how much to administer and ask if there are any vitamins that he could recommend that would promote healing.

If your pet isn't eating or drinking much, vegetable broth might be a good addition to not only help to up the water intake but also to introduce good vitamins. If you don't make it yourself, make sure it is no sodium as your pet probably doesn't need the salt... however it is easy to make using vegetable peels. (stay away from onions and garlic as both are blood thinners)

If you have a juicer... you could probably whip up a batch using some great healthy fruit and veggie mix...

You have to be careful with vitamins and supplements as some are blood thinners, which may be best to avoid before and following surgery.

Sending happy healing thoughts! :pawprint:

satchelp
June 25th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Another vote for Traumeel here. Get it in the 'drops' format. I've had good success with this a few times. The last time was for healing a deep flesh wound along with some nerve trauma in one of my dogs. It was given to me by my vet, but you can buy it elsewhere.

11v65
July 4th, 2007, 12:39 AM
I lived near the Human society as a child, allways had a pet. After 13 years married we got a male KEESHOND that is 12 years old plus a female RUSSIAN BLUE from the same Human society! Slippery elm bark is a native remedy, you can mix it with water and apply as a paste or as a pill. I am a Diebetic and use it my self for cut etc. it works great.