Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Peeing....everywhere!

boxerbabe
June 25th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I have just adopted a 1 1/2 yr. old male boxer.:lovestruck: When we adopted him we were aware of some of his separation anxiety issues....but not really prepared for this one.

This past weekend, our little fella has peed on our bed 4 times...yep...lots of laundry!:yuck:

I thought at first it was because we were both gone (my husband and I) - but on Saturday morning when my husband left for work, our dog jumped up on the bed as usually - and when I went to move me leg over - it was wet! He did this even with me in the bed. I promptly changed the bed - but then he did it again...when we were both home. He has also peed on my favorite chair and the spot where my husband sits on the couch. He is crated when we aren't at home - but he has started to do this when we are at home. He is outside often and has at least 2 hrs. of exercise per day. I need some help trying to break this new behavior. Any advise would be wonderful. :o

sugarcatmom
June 25th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I'm actually wondering if maybe he should go to the vet for a check-up. Whenever a dog or cat starts urinating inappropriately, especially if it's out of the blue, you want to rule out any medical issues right away. How long have you had your pup?

boxerbabe
June 25th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I actually just had him to the vet on Monday. I thought maybe he had been urinating a bit too often - but then again since we've only had him for about 4 weeks I wasn't sure if this was unusual for him. I'm at a loss as to what to do about it.:confused:

Beener
June 25th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Did the vet offer any advice for your poor new pup? I would have thought that it could be separation anxiety as well.

boxerbabe
June 25th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Well the vet said to monitor his urination....but at that point he wasn't peeing on our bed and furniture. It's not foul smelling or anywhere near the amount of emptying his bladder. Has any one dealt with this before? Our 7 yr. old boxer had separation anxiety when he was a pup as well - I'm accustomed to them tearing apart everything in sight and peeing on the floor....not so much on the bed. I' running out of clean linens! lol! :rolleyes:

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

sugarcatmom
June 25th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Well the vet said to monitor his urination....but at that point he wasn't peeing on our bed and furniture. It's not foul smelling or anywhere near the amount of emptying his bladder. Has any one dealt with this before? Our 7 yr. old boxer had separation anxiety when he was a pup as well - I'm accustomed to them tearing apart everything in sight and peeing on the floor....not so much on the bed. I' running out of clean linens! lol! :rolleyes:

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

So did the vet run a urinalysis? I imagine s/he did, but I just want to make sure that a UTI has been ruled out. If it truly is behavioral, you might have to start the housebreaking process over from the beginning. Here's some great info on how to go about it: http://www.dogstardaily.com/article/housetraining

Frenchy
June 25th, 2007, 04:29 PM
So did the vet run a urinalysis?

That's what I wanted to ask. A check up is not enough, the vet needs to do a urine test. If not already tested.

Rainy
June 25th, 2007, 08:01 PM
I think your dog may have to much free reign in the house as well.It's all new to him so even if he's neutered he's going to be easily scared,excited,and just plain nervous.Give him time and boundaries.Leash him to you so he can't pee without you knowing.Good luck!!!:)

TeriM
June 26th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Once you have ruled out any medical issues I would treat this as an attempt by the dog to establish his dominance. Is he peeing or is he marking his territory (smaller amounts of urine). He needs to understand his place in the "pecking order" of your house. This means that for the time being he should not be allowed up on your furniture and for everything he wants or needs he must do something (ie. nothing in life is free). You also recommend you try leashing him to you during the times you are home so that he is constantly watched. By following you around the house he will also learn that you are the pack leader.

Check out links for "nothing in life is free"
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-alphadog.htm

Good luck :) .

Melinda
June 26th, 2007, 07:38 AM
for starters, I'd close the bedroom door and make it off limit to him, also, don't allow him on the couch. then start with house breaking all over again and as one person said , tie him to you.....keep him with in sight and when you get to where you can read his body language to know when he's about to pee, rush him outside