Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to get dogs trust back?

TheWhitePhoenix
June 25th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Hi All.

A few months ago, all was fine. I could brush Mushu (2 year old Yorkie/pom mix) it was actually a pleasant experience for the both of us. He would let me clean his eyes etc. That changed the day I gave him some medication that the vet recommended because he had alot of diarreah. It made him very sick. It was in pill form and I couldnt hide it in his food so I had to force it in his mouth....well that was a big mistake...I don't recommend anyone ever do that. Because the meds made him sick, he no longer trusts me. He growls at me when I brush him or go near his mouth. I have never yelled at Mushu. Always soft training and have been very successful.

My question...after this long story is how do I get him to trust me again.
I feed him treats which he accepts cautiously. Also he is growling alot at me when he gets angry. When I left for work this morning I leave him at Grandmas and she takes care of him..he used to run up and kiss me goodbye but this morning he growled and turned away. I don't understand how to get him to trust me or not be mad at me anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It brought me to tears knowing I ruined the trust of an animal.

T&Csmom
June 25th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I don't know if this will be of any help, but my dog too got detached from me after her sterilization. I thought that was the end of the bond we shared. She used to follow me around and always stay nearby. After the surgery she refused to come in my room and started hanging around my mom. With her, time healed whatever it was she had against me. I expect your dog to do the same, but you may have to give her extra attention and treats. It took about two months for her to return back to normal, and until then I was depressed too.

MomsWork
June 25th, 2007, 01:13 PM
My dog has never trusted me when I come near him with a brush...I've had him 13 years now...he was beaten as a puppy and I guess he still remembers it, I do still brush him but it's as pathetic a site I ever want to see, his whole body shakes & he pants....

but, since ur pup gets fearful when u go near his mouth, how about starting off slow, even just sitting there ignoring him, ur hand down she he can sniff it and have peanut butter or something on ur fingers, so once again, he gets use to your hands being around his mouth...then as time goes on, maybe be a bit playful, if u have peanut butter on ur fingers, when he licks it, rub it on his teeth, so he again, gets use to ur hands in his mouth a bit....also, in the future, if he has to have pills again for anything, have someone else do it & you leave the room so he doesn't associate that with you....

Good luck, it is a sad sight when ur own pet fears you, even a little bit...

Linda

TheWhitePhoenix
June 25th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Thans so much. It really means alot to know that someone else understands how it feels to have their little one not want to be near them.

I hope it passes soon.

luckypenny
June 25th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Sorry to hear of your dog's change of mood but spoiling her now will just make the situation worse, especially if you react to her growling at you. Yes, she didn't like the medication but you did what needed to be done. Perhaps next time you can hide her meds in a treat. As for now though, you have to let her know that you are in control and that she must respect you. I'm not saying don't show her affection but she should have to work for it and for treats as well. You really don't want to turn this into a hierarchal problem by constantly giving her too much attention. Her growling at you is unacceptable and she must be taught that, regardless of why it started. For now, avoid all situations that may cause her to show aggression and practice, NILF (Nothing in life is free). Once your expectations have become perfectly clear to her, she will soon learn to respect and trust you once again.

TheWhitePhoenix
June 25th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks LuckyPenny..That is something I am afraid of that this will become a realization that when he growls he gets attention. Thanks everone.

pags
June 25th, 2007, 04:16 PM
My dog Judge can be a nightmare to brush - and he can be a nightmare to medicate. He was fine until one trip to a professional groomer. After that he started to growl and run or even snap when the brushes came out.

He HAS to be brushed daily, however. And he's also on Revolution - so once a month I have to apply the medication. It terrifies him (perhaps because he can't see it when I'm applying it?).

My husband and I work together now to groom him. He loves cheese. So.. the entire time I groom him my husband feeds him little bits of cheese off of his fingertips. We do the same time with the Revolution. It's still pretty obvious that he's nervous about the brush... but he KNOWS that when the brush comes out it also becomes a veritable cheese banquet... So he actually looks forward to it now. In the beginning he would still growl or show irritation while I was grooming him.. and at that moment the cheese would stop. We would only resume cheese when he settled down again. We no longer have any problems with growling and snapping during grooming.

I doubt seriously that your dog is holding a serious grudge against you for the medication -- although it seems that way. Just my opinion.. but what's more likely happening is that following an initial fear reaction to being medicated -- you have become more tense or generally on-edge around him and maybe.. I'm just guessing here -- so forgive me if I'm wrong -- possibly also too apologetic towards him for the whole incident. He could then be sensing your fear... and at the same time reacting to a change in your attitude. He knows you're worried and that worries him if that makes sense.

Hope something here helps you. Hugs!

H.P.
June 25th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I agree that a little bit of time will heal things. I would just try to treat him the same as always maybe some extra attention(more of his favorite games,etc), after all, your feelings for him have not changed, you still love him like crazy, right? He will remember that you are his favorite 2-legger. :pray:

TeriM
June 26th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Sorry to hear of your dog's change of mood but spoiling her now will just make the situation worse, especially if you react to her growling at you. Yes, she didn't like the medication but you did what needed to be done. Perhaps next time you can hide her meds in a treat. As for now though, you have to let her know that you are in control and that she must respect you. I'm not saying don't show her affection but she should have to work for it and for treats as well. You really don't want to turn this into a hierarchal problem by constantly giving her too much attention. Her growling at you is unacceptable and she must be taught that, regardless of why it started. For now, avoid all situations that may cause her to show aggression and practice, NILF (Nothing in life is free). Once your expectations have become perfectly clear to her, she will soon learn to respect and trust you once again.

I totally agree with luckypenny. Good advice :thumbs up .