Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

peeing in the house at night

T&Csmom
June 25th, 2007, 08:51 AM
My 5 1/2 year old girl Tashy who never had accidents before has started to whine in the middle of the night to be let out. She has also started peeing inside the house at night.
In the wee hours today, I think it was 4.00am- she whined to go out, so I let her. In the morning I found that she had also peed again in the house. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow for a checkup, but until then does anyone have an idea what might be wrong? I hope it's nothing serious. Yesterday she wanted to go out at 1.00 am! I have not changed her feeding routine and she still goes at the regular times during the day and doesn't have accidents. This thing started recently, and happens only in the night.

Love4himies
June 25th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Could be a bladder infection and, if so, you should try to see a vet as soon as you can to get some antibiotics so she doesn't suffer too long.

Dr Lee
June 25th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Peeing in the night - especially since she is asking to go out leads me to wonder about several possibilities. An very possible cause which can be easily (that is usually, easily) to solve would be a urinary tract infection. The two main categories that we are concerned about are inflammation of the bladder (urinary tract infection, crystals, stones, etc...) and disorders of increased urine production. Urine testing is the initial first step. So lets see what your vet says!

Good luck. :pawprint:

T&Csmom
June 26th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Thank you for the replies. I took her to the vet yesterday and he asked to give it some more time to see if it continues. The last two weeks it was pretty cold in the nights (this is a tropical country), and he said it may be that as well, plus he adviced me to take her out at 9.00pm in addition to the 6.00pm walk. On a better note, she didn't want to go out in the middle of the night yesterday and the weather is back to normal. So I will see how she fairs this week and then take her for tests. Thanks once again:)

Love4himies
June 27th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Keep us posted on Tashy's condition.

Extremis
June 28th, 2007, 04:02 PM
My 6 year old female lab/mix (Piper) also recently had this happen to her, so I took her to our Vet, and she told me that this frequently happens to female dogs that have been spayed, as their urinary sphincter gets weak and then they can't hold their urine as well any more.

She prescribed 'Stilbesterol' tablets that Piper first had to have like this:
-One tablet every 12 hours for 2 days.
-Then One tablet every 24 hours for 4 days.
-Then One tablet twice a week for 4 weeks.
-Then One tablet once a week,maintenance

(I'm unsure as to what, if any, the side effects might
be for this medication though, perhaps an online Vet
here might shed some light on this please )

Piper is doing great now, no urinations problems at all, and
she's back to her old wonderful self
(I've found that maintenance of One Tablet every 5 days does the trick )

I also asked the Vet that if I hadn't gotten her spayed, would that have prevented this, and she told me No, that
Piper would have most likely gotten Cancer instead--Yikes!
I'll pick the urinary problem over Cancer any day!

I've also read that other pet-parents have had success with the Urinary problem by cutting back on protein amounts.
(I tried that too, but it didn't work for my Piper unfortunately)

I hope this info helps, and I hope that your Tashy is
better soon :)

T&Csmom
June 30th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Extremis - Yeah give me a urinary infection anyday over cancer! I must say I was pretty ignorant about the benefits of sterilization for a long time. My dogs were not pre-planned pups. They were both garbage dump pick-ups.There is a dump near my house, and both were dumped off as puppies by someone. I didn't have the heart to leave them there. Candy the one in my avatar also had a little brother - a black puppy. I found a home for him. My vet kept saying to get them sterilized, but never mentioned the benefits. I didn't want to inflict surgery on them until I really got to know that it helps prevent forms of cancer. I only hope it was not too late.

Tashy has not peed since :p Hope it holds up. :fingerscr