Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

expected accidents in the house

SaraGeorge
June 25th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Hi everyone,
Now that Sara is some what potty trained at the age of 5 months, I think I am expecting way too much from Sara. I get so upset when she has accidents on my carpet. My husband tells me that we should expect some accidents. Sara is doing so well, no accidents for up to 5 days, then she will do silly things like not going pee outside in the morning and when we come back inside then she goes on the carpet. I know she is very smart, I guess she is still very young and trying her best...right?

SaraGeorge

clm
June 25th, 2007, 09:32 AM
At 5 months of age, she's still going to have the odd accident. You have to watch them to make sure they've actually done what you had them outside to do before you bring them back in. Sometimes they forget with all the other excitement outside. I've never had a female puppy, but I know with all of my boys, 2 or 3 pees around the yard before they're done.
Accidents are going to happen and I value my puppies over any carpet I may have anyway. Can always replace the carpet. Even after they're full grown, if they have an upset tummy while you're at work, or in the middle of the night and can't let you know they need out, you'll still have accidents. Goes with the turf so to speak.

Cindy

hazelrunpack
June 25th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Hi everyone,
Now that Sara is some what potty trained at the age of 5 months, I think I am expecting way too much from Sara. I get so upset when she has accidents on my carpet. My husband tells me that we should expect some accidents. Sara is doing so well, no accidents for up to 5 days, then she will do silly things like not going pee outside in the morning and when we come back inside then she goes on the carpet. I know she is very smart, I guess she is still very young and trying her best...right?

SaraGeorge

Yes...patience, consistency, and deep breathing will get you through! :D

We totally despaired of ever getting Cole housebroken. At 6 months he was still misjudging how long he could hold it, and would sometimes not even have time to signal that he needed out--he'd just get up and suddenly squat on his way to the door. We talked to the vet about it and he gave us the words of hope: "It sometimes takes 8 months to get them reliably house-broken." Some dogs' urinary systems just mature slower than others. (And besides which, Cole had a drinking problem--he'd drink every time the other 2 did, whether he was thirsty or not, just cuz he wanted to be part of the Pack. :rolleyes:)

At any rate, we had accidents through the 7th month and into the 8th and then suddenly, they stopped. :highfive:

Do you have a good deodorizer for cleaning up the accidents? That's your best tool when accidents do occur.

If it makes you feel better, we've found that the dogs that are the hardest to housebreak, are typically the most religious later in life about going outside to do their business. :thumbs up

So take hope, get a tight grip on your patience and persevere! It'll happen! :grouphug: :goodvibes:

pags
June 25th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Patience patience!! I've gotta agree with everybody here. The accidents are just part of puppyhood until they finally get what it is they're supposed to do in sync with their little puppy bodies.

Cosmo is in his seventh month now -- and still he has the occasional accident. If I'm honest -- most of the time those accidents are more my fault than his. With everything else going on (or if it happens to be 2 am) I have been known to take him out to do his business and not really give him time to finish up before bringing him back in...

Keep going though. With continued training and consistency -- this, too, shall come to pass.

jessi76
June 25th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Sara is doing so well, no accidents for up to 5 days, then she will do silly things like not going pee outside in the morning and when we come back inside then she goes on the carpet.

you need to stay outside as long as it takes. When my dog was 5 mths old, I allowed for 30 minutes of "potty time" before coming back inside. Generally, walking him worked the best. a walk got his system "movin" - so he was more apt to really GO along the walk. besides ensuring that he did his business (and all of it!) outside, it also gave him a bit of exercise, and also gave us a bit of training time on the leash. It was definately not a wasted half hour.

by the way, although my dog was fairly reliable by 5 mths, he did have 1 or 2 accidents around the 5-6mth mark. I think accidents are normal, refresh the rules of the house using positive reinforcement (and some super yummy treats!) and they catch back on quickly.