Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

fostering 2

t.pettet
June 24th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Am fostering 2 min. am. eskimo x pom mixes. Heres the problem: they are only 8 weeks old and during the evening (from 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.) they are confined in small bathroom with newspaper, food & water. I put a crate in there (door open) but not once have they slept in it. I can't for obvious reasons close the crate door on them for the entire night unless of course I get up every 3 hrs. so they can relieve themselves. Was hoping to have them semi-crate trained by the time they're adopted but they sleep behind the toilet, on the paper or squished up against the shower stall, anywhere but in the crate. Suggestions?

Frenchy
June 24th, 2007, 08:56 PM
2 , 8 weeks old ? :eek: It's very brave of you ! Unfortunatly I never fostered such young dogs so I don't have any advice. Maybe try to crate them at night just once , maybe they won't poop/pee where they're sleeping ?

luckypenny
June 24th, 2007, 09:13 PM
First, I'd try to get them used to the crate during the day. After a good playtime, meal, and a trip outdoors (make sure they've eliminated), bring them back inside, and with a cushion or blankets, place them in the crate. Before you know it, they'll be sleeping. As soon as they wake up, take them back outdoors immediately and repeat the cycle. I would not allow them to free feed as this would make it more difficult for you to judge when they have to go poop. They normally would go within the first 20 minutes after eating so I woud take them out and stay with them until they've gone (don't forget a little reward when they do go).

As for the night; would you happen to have a second crate or an x-pen? If you have two crates, place cozy blankets or a cushion in one and newspaper in the other. Leave the doors open or remove them altogether and place them facing each other. You'll see that they will eliminate on one side and play and sleep on the other. If you can get an x-pen, you would do the same thing. Form it into a rectangle rather than a square and place a cushion on one side and newspapers on the other. I would not leave food in there at all. It's better to have them on a schedule (eg. 4x per day, every 6 hours).

Just remember to take them out before going to bed and immediately upon rising.

t.pettet
June 24th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. They are outside from 7:00 a.m. until 9:00 a.m. on roofed veranda with 2 small stairs to lawn. They go down to lawn to eliminate and back up to round dog bed to wrestle, play etc. The vet recommended free feeding these 2 as they are very skinny and under-nourished and so far they're eating a small amount about every 45 min. At around 9:00 they're in to sleep until about noon (in bathroom) and out again until 3:00 p.m. back to sleep until 6:00 p.m. Out again at 8:00 till 9:00 then play time in kitchen and one more potty trip at 11:00 and back to bed. The crate has a soft blanket in it and have tried putting them in while they're asleep but within minutes they're both snoozing anywhere but in crate. The bathroom is so small that it only has room for the one crate. I tried the crate on the veranda but they avoid it like the plague, will sleep on the hard wooden floor instead. Perhaps they find it too hot (as they're similar in coat to huskies). They both caught on to eliminate on the lawn after I showed them a few times, infact the male always goes to the same corner.

luckypenny
June 24th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Have you tried putting them in their crate when they're very sleepy and closing the door? Most puppies are easy to crate train especially when they're pooped. Glad to hear they have so much play time.

Would you be willing to feed them every 2-3 hours instead of free feeding? I've noticed that young undernourished puppies will eat better if they're a little hungry between meals and 2-3 hours without food wouldn't hurt them. You may find that their appetite will actually improve. Are you feeding them kibble? If so, and you mixed in a little canned, it will encourage them to eat more. Just some ideas that have worked well for me in the past.

Oh, and I forgot to thank you for taking them in to foster :highfive: . They're lucky to have found you :) .

t.pettet
June 24th, 2007, 11:06 PM
When they arrived 10 days ago the female weighed 2.4 lbs and the male 2.8 -really tiny, weak, lethargic. Yesterday they were 3.3 and 3.7. Whatever crap they were fed previously gave them mushy yellowish poops that were being eliminated every 4-5 hrs., since they've been on Medi-Cal development formula they have tons more energy and are pooping darker & solid about 3 times daily. I will wait until they're really supper tired tommorrow and place them in the crate and close the door.:fingerscr

Frenchy
June 24th, 2007, 11:08 PM
When they arrived 10 days ago the female weighed 2.4 lbs and the male 2.8 -really tiny, weak, lethargic.

:eek: omg that is soo tiny :sad: Thank dog you're taking care of them :grouphug: