Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Going on a day-trip without puppy

crazyforcats
June 24th, 2007, 11:35 AM
In a couple weeks we will be taking a day trip. I don't think that our 8-month old puppy will be appropriate for where we're going, plus she doesn't travel well. I need some suggestions on confining Roxy. The longest that she's been in her kennel during the day is 6 hours (she's crated every night, so she's used to it), but this trip will likely be about 8 hours. Should I just crate her, or should I set up something in a confined space?

hazelrunpack
June 24th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Any chance you could find someone to let her out for a little exercise and a potty and poop at noon while you're gone? Then you could keep her in her crate, where she feels comfortable, with no worries about an accident.

clm
June 24th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't crate her for that long, just confine her to an area and have her crate there so she can go in to sleep if she wants. Has she ever been left alone during the day at all before?

Cindy

crazyforcats
June 24th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Cindy - yes, she has been left alone a few times during the day - usually for a couple hours. Once we went away for 6 hours (we weren't supposed to be that long, but unfor-see-able events happened), and she peed all over the floor when I did let her out of her crate. That was a couple months ago now. She's pretty much house-trained, but I wouldn't trust her alone for more than a few hours. I work from home, so I'm able to let her out throughout the day (when I remember... I run a dayhome and Roxy has the run of a separate floor from where the children are).

So should I set her up in a confined space with her crate, water, and a pee-pad in it?

clm
June 24th, 2007, 11:02 PM
That's what I would do. I usually keep ours to the kitchen and hallway (tile floors, no carpet) until I'm sure they can be left for long periods.

Cindy