Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

To Dr Lee..

firecat998
June 24th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Hello we took our cat to the vets and she said that shes definatly pregnant but she couldnt tell us how many she's having.then a few days later my cat is showing signs of her being in heat,her stomach has gone down a little but her abdomin seems to have got bigger,so i was wondering is it possible for her to go into heat whilst being pregnant? she has also been taking bits of paper into her litter tray.Thanks
Nikki

badger
June 24th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Nikki, the cat cannot be in heat AND pregnant. It's like saying a woman can be pregnant AND keep having her periods. I'm glad you took your moggy to the vet. Did he say she was healthy?

Taking stuff to the litter box is probably 'nesting' behaviour but it doesn't mean she plans on giving birth there. I'd make her a bed in a closet in a quiet room or find a big box with high sides that she can get out of but the kittens can't (at least at the beginning, when they are very small and helpless). Put a big towel in there, make it cosy. In the end, she'll give birth where she wants to, usually somewhere a bit hidden where she feels comfortable and safe. I would keep her in the house if you think she might have them outside, where it would be difficult for you to take care of them and other cats might interfere.

Otherwise, there's nothing really for you to do, except wait and watch. Mother cats are well equipped to give birth on their own. If you think she's having problems getting one out or has been in labour for hours with nothing happening, definitely call the vet.

She will be very tired after the birth and may not leave the birthing place to eat and drink for several hours. This is normal. Make sure she always has food and water nearby. She will be STARVING! Eventually she will take short breaks from the kittens, stretch her legs, then go back to her duties.

Try not to handle the kittens too much at the beginning. If the mother feels in any way threatened or vulnerable, she will start moving them around in an effort to find a safer place. Too many people or too much noise could cause this as well.

Please let us know when it happens and how everything went!

firecat998
June 24th, 2007, 02:51 PM
hiya badger
thanks very much for infomation ill keep the forum up to date on how shes doing we have provided her with a kittening box its a very large cardboard box tiped on its side with one of the flaps taped up so its easy for her to get in and out of the kittens wont be able to get out or fall out of the box.We have put 2 baby flanelette sheets in with some news paper in the bottom and one of her cusions in so that its got her smell in there already shes gone in it a few times to investigate.thanks again badger
Nikki

badger
June 24th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Nikki - I just wanted to add that your cat will be capable of getting pregnant again almost immediately, so I recommend that you keep her inside until she's been spayed. A female in heat can attract intact toms from miles away with her scent and the deed takes only seconds! So beware.

Dr Lee
June 24th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Nikki,

I am flattered that you asked me a question :lovestruck: I wish I had something wonderful to add but Badger had excellent answers! If any other signs occur, please let us know.

Send us some pictures of the proud mom and her kittens when they arrive!

firecat998
June 25th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Hiya thanks Dr lee ill let the forum no if shes still having her babies shes back at the vets on friday.ill definatly be posting pics of her and her kittens
Nikki