Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My puppy chews on rocks

crazyforcats
June 24th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Is this something that I need to stop? If so, how? Our yard has a large section of gravel, and Roxy loves to chew on everything, including the rocks. Can she swallow a rock? Will it harm her teeth? I've heard of other dogs chewing on rocks before, but I'm not familiar with the consequences, if any.

hazelrunpack
June 24th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Yep, she can swallow rocks...and it can harm both her teeth and her tummy. Sometimes, if the pebbles are small enough, they'll pass right through. However, some dogs have needed surgery to remove rocks from their stomachs--the rocks were small enough to swallow but too big and heavy to pass easily into the intestine.

Lil Belle spent her first fall here eating pea gravel. She would sometimes throw it back up with bloody bile from the stomach irritation it would cause. We kept her out of the part of the yard that the gravel was in once we figured out what she was doing. Our vet bills went down :D and eventually she got over the desire to eat the stuff. :shrug:

Chewing on stones, even if they're too big to swallow, is bad for teeth, too. It wears them down and can even chip them.

Any chance you can fence the gravel portion of your yard off so she can't get to it? Otherwise, strict supervision will be needed to keep her from chewing or eating it.

rainbow
June 25th, 2007, 02:39 AM
I agree with Hazel. You will have to somehow keep Roxy away from the rocks. Good luck. :goodvibes:

H.P.
June 25th, 2007, 08:11 PM
How old is Roxy? Sydney chewed on rocks every chance that she got (I limited her chances) when she was younger, I am not sure exactly when she stopped, but she seems to have out grown the urge (she is one now)