Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rabies Vaccination for Puppy, for importation

JlyGrnMigt
June 24th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Greetings all. This is my first post here.

I am an American currently in the Philippines doing research for my MS. While collecting insects in a very rural area, I got a puppy from one of the farmers. She was born "in April" so is probably around 8 weeks old.

I will be returning to the United States near the end of August so I was going to wait a little longer for her rabies shot, but the vet I took her to said she needed the shot just to fly to the other island within the Philippines where I'll be processing my data and that she would need another 3 months from now. So I got her the shot along with a 5-in-1 and some of the worming liquid.

So now I'm really confused. I've read now that getting all that at once is a pretty bad idea (too late now...) but I don't know if getting the rabies vaccine now was just worthless or if it could be harmful to her. I trusted the vet, but now I'm just not sure. If it was just worthless, should I wait until she's 3 months to get another shot or wait 3 months after the 1st?

Thanks for any advice you have. I've had dogs most of my life, but never primary care of a tiny puppy.

hazelrunpack
June 24th, 2007, 09:48 AM
All the vaccinations given at once maybe isn't ideal, but if you need to move around and they're required by law, you didn't have much choice, anyway. :shrug:

I'm not sure what effect it will have on the rabies vaccination--perhaps someone else on the board has more experience. I'm a little concerned because I've never heard a rabies vaccination recommended for a dog less than 12 weeks old, and you think your pup is younger. Not sure if that's because it is potentially harmful or because pup's immune system is just too young to produce antibodies at that age?

Any way of calling your regular vet back in the States for advice? He might be able to make a recommendation.

Meanwhile, this will bump your post up to the top of the list for a while and maybe Dr Lee or someone else with more experience with vaccination protocols will see it and reply. :fingerscr

TeriM
June 25th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Dogs arriving from countries considered by the World Health Organization to have no reported rabies (see list) are not subject to the rabies vaccination requirement, provided they have spent the 6 months prior to arrival (or their entire life, if the dog is less than 6 months old) in such countries.

Here is a link with more information:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/faq_animal_importation.htm#dogreqs

TeriM
June 25th, 2007, 02:08 AM
FYI, rabies shots are recommended to be given at 16 weeks and a booster one year after that. I did see some info that says that the rabies shot can be given between 12-16 weeks.

JlyGrnMigt
June 25th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'm actually quite familiar with the CDC guidelines, and the Philippines is not on that list, I assure you. Rabies is endemic here, especially where I got the puppy. I even got the pre-bite vaccination for myself before coming here. I also know what the recommendations for puppies are, but that's not what I was asking. When I got the puppy, I didn't have any internet access and couldn't check those things, so I learned it all after she was given the shot.

I suppose talking to another vet, either here or in the US, is my best option.
:pawprint:

---------
edit:
In re-reading, the above comes across as pretty rude and that's not what I intended. My concern right now is treading the thin line between getting her into the US and giving her too much vaccine.