Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Recent Spay and Suture Removal

SheltieFan
June 24th, 2007, 01:16 AM
My little Sheltie was recently spayed . She returned to the Vet on Friday to have her stitches removed. I noticed today that one tiny little stitch (even though it was cut in the center), is sticking out from the incision.

Is a return trip to the Vet next week necessary for this? Or will it fall out on it's own?

These were not the self dissolving type sutures, these were actual sutures sewed in.

I'll call them on Monday if I don't receive any replies.
I just hate to take her again if I don't have to, as she gets so scared going there.

Thank you :)

hazelrunpack
June 24th, 2007, 01:38 AM
If you have a small pair of embroidery scissors and a tweezers, you can remove sutures yourself if you want to (sorta makes me squirm, but I've done it in the past). I usually soak the blades and the tweezers in alcohol for about 5 minutes, then let them air dry on paper towels (the alcohol dries pretty quickly) If it's an actual loop, cut the loop and then pull the knotted end with the tweezers--it should pull out easily.

If the stitch has already been cut, it may be ready to pull. If there's a knotted end, pull from that end...

In my experience, the hardest part about stitch removal is to get the dog to hold still! :D

rainbow
June 24th, 2007, 01:44 AM
I agree. Since the stitch has already been cut all you have to do is pull it out. Just roll her over and tickle her belly to distract her and she won't even know what you're doing. :)

SheltieFan
June 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Thank you, Hazelrunpack and Rainbow. :thumbs up

I had someone hold her and found two other little stitches that I hadn't seen before. Was able to easily pull the other two out, but when I pulled on the bigger one - it seemed stuck, like the knot was on the inside. Her whole belly would move when I pulled on it.

So, I sterilized some manicure scissors and cut the last stitch as close as I could to her belly.

The incision is healing well and looks like it will be fine now. I put a little Vitamin E on it, too.

Whew, what a relief. :D
Glad to know there is such a helpful board around.

I had "lurked" before, but never thought I'd need to use it!

hazelrunpack
June 24th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Sounds like you did a good job! :thumbs up :D Glad we could help out. :o

rainbow
June 25th, 2007, 03:18 AM
but when I pulled on the bigger one - it seemed stuck, like the knot was on the inside. Her whole belly would move when I pulled on it.

So, I sterilized some manicure scissors and cut the last stitch as close as I could to her belly.

I would phone your vet's office and ask if it will be okay. :)