Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What were we thinking???? 3 kittens?

heather17021977
June 23rd, 2007, 09:56 PM
So hubby says to me today..."I'd like to have another kitten" So off we go to the SPCA to get one. He picked another male (see my early post on our 5 month old male with crystals) He was a stray so he's a bit rangy but for the most part settling in nicely.

He is fine with Stewie (our male) but our female won't stop hissing and growling at him. She approaches him like she wants to be around him then when he runs and jumps at her to play she hisses at him and he runs away.

Will Molly every accept him? Also, now I have Molly and Stewie on the Med-Cal Dissolution food and Bruno on the Babycat RC...they are all eating each others food...is it ok for the baby kitten to be eating the Medi-Cal and vice versa??

Phew! This ended up a long post!

Thanks

badger
June 23rd, 2007, 10:54 PM
Food formulated for kittens is usually higher in protein and fat but if they're dipping in and out of each other's bowls, it probably evens out. There's nothing there that is harmful.
I usually start out a new cat by keeping it in a separate room for the first few days but if you have already introduced the new guy and things are working out, then great, just keep a close eye out for any bullying or aggression. The female hissing and spitting is absolutely normal. The first day!! I'm in awe. Over time, they'll sort out their relationships but it will take a few days or weeks. If things get stressful, there's nothing wrong with separating them for a few hours.

heather17021977
June 23rd, 2007, 11:28 PM
Is that unusual for her hissing the first day? We are keeping Bruno in our bathroom (with all his supplies) during the night and while we are at work. I dont trust Molly but I trust Stewie 100%. He was even looking out for her while Bruno was playing in the living room.

Molly has been spending a lot of time upstairs and in the rec room...she's just being a sook LOL

clm
June 23rd, 2007, 11:53 PM
The hissing is not unusual at all. Sometimes only takes a few days, some times it can take weeks before a cat will accept a newcomer. It took my Mookie weeks before she could stand being around little Gabby. She still doesn't like her very much but she tolerates her :rolleyes: Squeakie took to her in a couple of days.
My previous cats, Toby and little Maxie, it took over a month before we could leave Maxi alone with Toby, they finally ended up sleeping on chairs together, best of buds.

Cindy

rainbow
June 24th, 2007, 12:25 AM
I agree the hissing is normal. They are all young and will be good buddies in no time. Are any of them spayed/neutered yet?And, I would check out the Food Forum here for some good food choices. :) :cat:

kashtin's kin
June 24th, 2007, 02:31 AM
A little kitty-hissing hostility? I think I'd be more worried if they weren't sorting things out in their pride heirarchy kinda way! Being staff for up to 7 indoor cats for many years has meant shuffling cats/kittens from isolation rooms to general population (and sometimes back, for a while) a LOT. I think a big part of maintaining a happy household is having at least one person 'chaperoning' at all times, especially at first.

Our cats quickly learn that it's not acceptable to attack etc. others, and the less assertive ones know that they are protected i.e. we intervene if they are picked on. Also, all felines are spayed and neutered, needless to say (neuter that boy ASAP if he's not already, as males can get an exaggerated sense of their rights under the influence of too much testosterone!).

Having said all that, it's great that you've given a home to these kittens-good for you, and have fun with them all (things do get less hectic as you go along!). :thumbs up

heather17021977
June 24th, 2007, 06:41 AM
The 5 month olds are both fixed. We put Bruno in the bathroom overnight.

Thanks everyone, I'll post back in a week or so about this hopefully there will be some progress.

hazelrunpack
June 24th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Good luck, heather! :fingerscr I suspect they'll at least be tolerating each other by then...maybe even be the best of play buddies by then! :cat: :cat: :cat:

By the way, hubby pulled the same line on me the other day..."I'd like to get another dog". It's another boy dog, and he came home last night...and I think my other two boys would have hisssed if they'd been cats...they'd had their hearts set on another girl! :laughing: They're doing much better this morning, though. :thumbs up

heather17021977
June 25th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Hubby took him to the vet today for his check-up...he has a cold and chest conjestion. He also has worms which is why he is so tiny (looks like an 8 week old but is 12 weeks) He weighs 2.4 lbs. His poor belly was so hard.

He's on cold meds, powder for the conjestion (w/canned food which he loves) and worming meds. I can't wait until he is healthy because he sure is a great playmate for Stewie...

Molly is still not impressed with him, lol.

He slept with hubby last night in the spare room and pretty much laid by his head all night. He hates to be alone, poor fella.

Love4himies
June 25th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Hissing is sooo normal for new kitties. I had two that lived together for 10 years and there was still an occasional hiss out of the female (that is my lazyboy chair, get out! That is my cat stand, get off!:laughing: ).

Sad to hear your baby is sick:, hope he gets well soon.

Are you able to post some pictures?

heather170277
June 25th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Yes I will tonight.

ancientgirl
June 25th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Your new kitty sounds adorable. My Oksana is a few weeks younger than Vlad, and they get along for the most part, but still now and then Vlad might get too rough and she starts hissing and scats away.

I've read in many places its normal, and really, they get along well and are quite protective of each other.