Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Uh-oh. Pup and clean laundry...bad mix

whitbit317
June 23rd, 2007, 04:24 PM
My 12 week old doxie pup has begun to relieve herself on the clean laundry. I'm sure you can imagine that this doesn't go over well with my mother. She did it for the first time last night and we thought it was a fluke, and laughed about it afterwards. But she did it again today, and I took her out as I do everytime she has an accident, hoping to reinforce that outside is the proper spot. Well, after we came back in she was on the bed again and she did it again! It's not funny anymore!! Does anyone have an idea of why she would be doing this? I've never experienced this with a puppy before.

luckypenny
June 23rd, 2007, 04:39 PM
I've never experienced this before with puppies but, by any chance, had you used bleach on this clean laundry. The scent of bleach may be encouraging her to eliminate there :shrug: .

Edit to add, how often do you take her out to pee?

whitbit317
June 23rd, 2007, 04:43 PM
Nope..no bleach, just a scented detergent...My guesses are either the detergent or the scent of us(the people). I'm really not sure though.

She goes out at minimum every two hours during the day. She had gone out maybe 15 minutes before this last time.

luckypenny
June 23rd, 2007, 04:52 PM
I don't think the scent of you would be the reason for her peeing on the clean laundry. If this is the only place she pees, maybe it would be a good idea to try unscented detergent and fabric softener for a little while. If she stops, then you know it's the perfume. This last time she went out and peed 15 minutes later, did she pee while she was outside? With puppies, I usually don't come back inside until they have eliminated outside. Once they do, I lavish them with praise and treats. If an accident occurs indoors, I try to interrupt it and bring them out immediately (no yelling, rubbing nose in it etc). I just scoop them up and bring them out. If the problem persists after changing detergent, perhaps it might be a good idea to house train her using a crate. Just remember that some puppies can take up to 4-6 months before they're fully trained.

Let us know how it works out.

whitbit317
June 23rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
She's had accidents in the floor a couple of time, but considering her age she's pretty good about waiting to go outside. We never punish her for her accidents, if we catch her we may say her name or no loudly to interrupt and then she's taken outside. When i took her out before the clothes incedent she had gone number 2 but she never does both on one trip outside so I figured she was done. After she peed on the clothes the first time we interrupted and she went outside for a bit but didn't go, we went back in and she peed on more clothes right away. I've had her for a week so I'm not expecting miracles, its just kinda odd to me that she's using the bathroom on the clothes repeatedly. I know it'll probably take her a while to house-break as the only person home with her during the week will be my 13 year old brother. And doxies are known for being the hardest dog to house-train. For the most part she'll wait until I take her out, and at night she wakes me up to go outside.

H.P.
June 25th, 2007, 10:20 PM
My guess would be that she doesn't like the smell of the clean clothes. It doesn't smell like you any more, it is your "territory" and should be marked. (My dog would throw a fit when I opened the shampoo to bath her, until I started using my shampoo on her). Another thought is before you got her, did she have a potty area that had old towels or clothes down and maybe she thinks that is an ok place to go?

jessi76
June 26th, 2007, 09:15 AM
After she peed on the clothes the first time we interrupted and she went outside for a bit but didn't go, we went back in and she peed on more clothes right away. I've had her for a week so I'm not expecting miracles, its just kinda odd to me that she's using the bathroom on the clothes repeatedly.

why on earth does she still have access to the clean clothes?!?! if you don't want her to pee on clean clothes, don't allow her NEAR them. remove the temptation before this becomes a habit.

you've only had her for a week - she'll need to learn the rules of the house, where it's appropriate to potty, and she'll need to EARN her freedoms. if my dog continually peed on my couch, I can guarentee you he'd be banned from it until the habit was broken. I would keep him on leash near the couch, to slowly allow him supervised access, but to maintain control, and be able to correct him the moment it was about to happen.

prevention is key - and if prevention fails, gentle yet firm correction is needed IN THE MOMENT it's happening - not after the fact.

whitbit317
June 26th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Well we don't let her near them anymore obviously....we weren't expecting it to happen the second or the third time.