Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

figuring out if my dog is pregnant

trixies_mom
June 23rd, 2007, 12:19 PM
If there is anyone out there that knows any trick on knowing or trying to find out if my dog is going to have puppies without going to the vet right away. She has a very large belly, her nipples are hard as rocks and all she wants to do is lay around while someone is rubbing her belly....Everyone is asking me when was her last heat and actually i really think that this is her first heat. She is still eating well, but the only place that she is gaining any weight is in her belly no where else. She is acting like she wants more to eat after she is done with the one bowl. Please please if there is anyone out there that could help me i would be very grateful.

Thank you
Trixies mom

luckypenny
June 23rd, 2007, 12:31 PM
Hello trixies_mom, welcome to the forum.

Why would you not want to go to a vet? If you have no experience with a pregnant dog, this really is the best place for her to get thoroughly checked. If this is her first heat, then she is definitely too young to have puppies and many complications can occur. Please do what's right for her and bring her to see a vet. I would strongly recommend having her spayed as soon as it can safely be done.

Frenchy
June 23rd, 2007, 01:47 PM
If there is anyone out there that knows any trick on knowing or trying to find out if my dog is going to have puppies without going to the vet right away.

Nope, you have to take her to a vet asap, that's the least you can do for letting your dog get pregnant. :shrug:

rainbow
June 23rd, 2007, 03:10 PM
I agree and she should go to the vet asap. As luckypenny said, if this is her first heat she is too young to have puppies, and I would have her spayed and the puppies aborted if possible. :pawprint:

hazelrunpack
June 23rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
Regardless if she's pregnant or not, she needs to go to the vet--because if she's not expecting, there's still something going on, and it may be serious. So I'm going to jump on the bandwagon here and urge you to take your girl to the vet. It really does sound as if she needs to be looked at.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on what the vet says. :fingerscr