Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Vaccination

Cairn Lover
June 23rd, 2007, 09:56 AM
Hello to everyone. I am new to this and have a question. We have an 18 month old Cairn who just received 3 vaccinations yesterday. He is very sore, doesn't want to move around and yelps when we tried to pick him up. Also doesn't want to go out to pee. Have called the Emergency Vet Clinic and they are saying this is normal. But for how long???? Should we give him some baby aspirin??

Dr Lee
June 25th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Cairn Lover,

Most vaccines can make pets sore and uncomfortable for a few days. The vaccines start a cascade of immune changes which typically take up to 10-14 days to complete; however days 2-5 seem so be the uncomfortable stage.

Keeping the pet rested, warmed and closely monitored are the best. Benadryl (with no other active ingredients, that is, no Tylenol) can help. Generally the dose is a mg/lb every 12 hours by mouth (That is a 25 lbs dog would receive 25mg of benadryl by mouth). Please check with your regular veterinarian if they recommend this specifically for your pet. I am not a fan of aspirin (buffered or otherwise). In general I have come to believe it can cause more harm than pain relief. If your pet seems to be in real discomfort, I would consult your veterinarian for some pain medication. Also alert your veterinarian next time he gets his vaccines. Pre-loading her with benadryl may greatly reduce her soreness. (Benadryl works better prior to vaccines than after).