Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog not feeling well.

milton456
June 23rd, 2007, 08:07 AM
Hi, I am new to this forum.
On Wednesday night, I played with my dog Sherry as usual. She was jumping around all over me. Everything was great.
Usually during our playing around, Sherry drinks a lot of water. She spends at least 30 seconds gulping water from her bowl.
After playing around Wednesday night, I retired to bed and so did Sherry.

Before going to work on Thursday morning, I wanted to let her outside for a few minutes (while I prepare my elderly mother breakfast in the kitchen). Just before letting her out, I gave Sherry a milkbone. After a couple of minutes, she threw it up on her blanket which covers her bed. So I quickly put the blanket in the washing machine when I noticed she had thrown up sometime during the night. -That consisted of white foam. -Some of it was still wet on the blanket.

Immediately, I took all her food and treats away and just left a bowl of water. Then I went to work. Since I work so close to home, I always go home for lunch. When I arrived home for lunch, she had thrown up again. I''d figure maybe some fresh air would be better so I let her out. She did her #1 and she did #2.- It was her last bowel movent as I am typing this (Saturday morning). While still outside, she threw up again. This white foamy stuff. I brought her back in the house and immediately called the Vet. I explained to him what had happened since Wednesday night. He told me to subsitute the water for a bowl of Ice, which I did. He also told me not to feed her anymore for the rest of the day. And to buy some ground meat, cook it and mix it in with some white rice. - Which I bought on Friday. When I came home for the evening from work. I checked out my dogs condition. She had once again threw up- twice. The second time scared me because not only was it white foam, but a yellowish throwup.

Then the throwing up suddenly stopped.

The next day (Friday) before going to work, I gave her a bowl of Ice. Then went to work. When I came home no throwing up. I cooked some ground beef and mixed it with the white rice and a little bit of water just like the vet told me to do. She ate it right away.

The throwing up has stopped. Today I plan to give her more ground beef/rice just like the vet told me to do. However, since the throwing up has stopped, she has not done #2. I can understand after 1 day of not feeding her, she would not want to move her bowel. But now after feeding her Friday evening, it is now Saturday morning and she still has not pooped.

Since all of this has happened, my dog is not as hyper as she used to be. She still has her strength to go up and down the stairs. But she is not running around the back yard like she used to.

Both the Vet and my mother said give it a couple of days and whatever she has will pass. - My question is should I?

I am willing to wait it out until Monday morning, but if she is not back to her old self by then, I will call the vet first thing and bring her in.

Has anyone ever experienced this with their dog? Some people have even told me to give her pepto bismol- and I am afraid to.

SnowDancer
June 23rd, 2007, 08:13 AM
I have - 2 years ago - it was a virus going around Toronto. My pup stayed at vet's for 3 days due to throwing up and then came home with 6 cans of Hill's I/D - works better for us than the hamburger/rice diet and I always keep a couple of emergency cans on hand. But that was my dog. Neither your post nor your profile lists your dog's age, breed and any other health conditions your pup might have - which would surely help. Hope puppy feels better soon.

milton456
June 23rd, 2007, 08:18 AM
I have - 2 years ago - it was a virus going around Toronto. My pup stayed at vet's for 3 days due to throwing up and then came home with 6 cans of Hill's I/D - works better for us than the hamburger/rice diet and I always keep a couple of emergency cans on hand. But that was my dog. Neither your post nor your profile lists your dog's age, breed and any other health conditions your pup might have - which would surely help. Hope puppy feels better soon.

Sorry for not updating my profile. I will do that now. My dog Sherry is a Wire-Haired Fox Terrier. She will be 6 next week. We live outside of Boston Mass.. Where can I get Hills? From the Vet? Pet Store?

hazelrunpack
June 23rd, 2007, 09:29 AM
Hi, Milton. In answer to your question about no bowel movement, the burger and rice is pretty bland stuff--no bulk to it--so it may take a few days till Sherry 'feels the urge' again. Not many calories, either, so she'll likely lose a little weight. With any luck, her tummy will be recovered in a few days and you can slowly switch her back to her old food--do it as if it were a completely new food--a quarter at a time over a few days.

It's not too unusual, considering that she's on a lower calorie diet right now and isn't feeling 100% for her to not have all her usual energy back. But if she begins throwing up again, hasn't passed stool in another couple of days, begins showing signs of abdominal discomfort (hunched when sitting or unwilling to move, for example), or doesn't start regaining some of her old verve in a couple of days, she should get checked over by the vet again.

Oh, and if you stick with the burger and rice, you'll probably find that she gets tired of the rice really quick. We have better luck using elbow macaroni--they seem to enjoy the texture better and it's bland enough to still do the trick. :thumbs up

I hope Sherry is better soon! :fingerscr Please keep us posted on her progress! :grouphug:

SnowDancer
June 23rd, 2007, 02:36 PM
I buy the Hill's I/D from my vet's - not sure where you are located but in Canada must buy from vet. The stuff is great - actually on the Eskie board a number of people who have gone through chicken and rice, then hamburger and rice have finally given in to I/D. It helps get your pup "regular" but not too much or too little. When my guy caught the virus he had diarrhea and was throwing up - hence the clinic stay. When he came home I was a bit alarmed when I saw that he had to eat a "fibre" food - but vet explained how it works and he did very well on it. He went back to his normal Salmon A L Veg kibble once he recovered but I keep 2 cans on hand just in case he should have a tummy upset. And he LOVES it - of course it is wet food.

SableCollie
June 23rd, 2007, 04:17 PM
I live just outside of Boston, and all the vets around carry either Hills prescription or Purina Prescription Diets, both of which have easy to digest formulas.

milton456
June 23rd, 2007, 09:25 PM
This afternoon after 2 days, Sherry had her first bowel movement. This is not the first time this year she was sick. Earlier today, I fed her baby carrots and sure enough, it did the trick. Although, she seems still slow, I think she will be ok. Tomorrow, I will still give her the rice and meat but I will mix in her Purina One food with it. I think the sudden change in food might play a role in her behavior. We will see how things go for a couple more days. I pray she will be back to her old normal self soon. I will call the vet if her behavior does not go back to what it used to be.

rainbow
June 24th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Glad to hear that Sherry is starting to feel better. You should check out our Food Forum here for some good dog food choices. :)

milton456
June 24th, 2007, 09:11 AM
I will do that. I have to ask you. I am going with my Mother to my brother's house this afternoon for a few hours. He lives about 30 miles south of Boston in Scituate.- for those who know Mass. Anyways, Sherry will be left alone for that period of time. Should I give her anything to eat before I leave? Should I leave some food in her dish while I am gone? I am going to leave some water for her, but I am reluctant to leave food around.

BTW- When I woke up this morning, Sherry is not constipated anymoe. -Now it is the opposite.

hazelrunpack
June 24th, 2007, 09:31 AM
The problem with the bland diet is that it produces kind of soft stools. Likely, the virus, or whatever it was that didn't agree with her, is working its way through her system and now manifesting as diarrhea. The bland diet won't help firm up the stool much. Make sure she takes in plenty of water and Monday ask your vet if something with fiber, like pumpkin, might be a good idea. I wouldn't start it without talking to the vet, though--adding something new to an already irritated gut is always tricky. And sometimes it's just best to give whatever is in there a chance to work it's way out.

I wouldn't leave her any food out while you're gone--but even so, expect to come home to an accident. (It may not happen, but better to be pleasantly surprised than unpleasantly surprised. :thumbs up) The water is a must. Dehydration is a dangerous thing.

You might also want to make sure she can't get to any carpeted areas, since carpet is harder to clean up than a hard floor. ;) Of course, if you routinely crate her when you're gone, this is all a moot point. :D

If you can at all avoid it, try not to be gone for more than 3 or 4 hours. If she messes in the house, that'll stress her, which won't do her tummy any good. And she'll feel better with someone around. If her diarrhea is really liquid or frequent, you'll have to judge whether you think she's up to holding it and being alone. And if you see blood, it's time for another call to the vet.

Sorry if that's way more than you needed info on--hazel's fingers have a way of getting out of control at the keyboard! :D After 6 years with Sherry, you know way more about her than hazel does! :o

Good luck! :fingerscr

milton456
June 24th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I think she will be fine. Just in case, I will leave the radio in the kitchen on for her while we are out. I will take the food away and leave the water for her. Funny -a couple of things happened last week that could have made her sick to begin with. First, I am having an ongoing issue with the kitchen fawcett where the water is not coming out as fast. So I removed the end of it (the part that has the filter on it) and gave her water. Maybe that caused her to get sick. So now I am giving her Poland Springs Water. Second, the clothes dryer in the kitchen - that thing that vents the air outside came loose while I was drying clothes. Possible that the fumes from the dryer made her sick. Its an electric dryer. But for now, she is doing much better with each passing day. :)

hazelrunpack
June 24th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I'm glad she's feeling better. :D

SableCollie
June 24th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I hope she continues to improve! :fingerscr

The tap water in the boston area is pretty...well "icky". :D I always give my dog filtered water, we have a Brita filter on the kitchen sink, seems to do a good job.

rainbow
June 25th, 2007, 03:36 AM
How is Sherry doing? :fingerscr Have you decided on a brand of food for her? :)

milton456
June 25th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Sherry is doing good. She is about 97% back to her normal self. Yesterday, I introduced her back to her old food (Purina One) and mixed it with the white rice and ground beef. Tomorrow will be the last day for the rice and beef. On Saturday, I was so worried about her being constipated that I fed her 2 baby carrotts. Sure enough, she had her first bowel movement thereafter. Now she has the opposite. -BIG TIME. I think its still the combination of the carrots and the sudden change in her diet. It was so bad today that when I came home for lunch from work, I had to give her a very quick bath. I am still anticipating maybe one or 2 more days of this.

As far as water is concerned, no more tap water. I will buy from now on Poland Springs (24 pack) One a day- refrigerated of course. No more milkbone treats for her either. I will stick with the little round treats with the meat in them that they specially make for small dogs.

This is the second time this year she has been sick. Back in February/March, she had the same thing. But it went away within a day. This was worse and longer. I think because that I am at work, I feel guilty for not being there for her and I over treated her with the treats. I am just glad that she is back to her hyper self and running around the yard again. - I have enough on my plate to worry about as it is.

hazelrunpack
June 25th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Glad to hear she's on the mend! :thumbs up Always nice to hear good news. :D

milton456
June 26th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Well Day 6 for Sherry's recovery. However, this is the 2nd day in a row she has dirraeha. I hate to be gross but it I am going to describe it, well it is like applesauce dirraeha- and spots all over my kitchen floor. When it happened yesterday, I had to clean her off by putting her in the tub and giving a good cleaning. Today, cleaning her was not too bad, but I had to wash her bed blankets again. She is back to her hyper self - which is great news. But how do I stop the dirraeha? I was feeding her white rice with ground beef mixed with her Purina One. - Plus I gave her a treat last night. I honestly think it is the treats that are aggravating her. Any suggestions?:eek:

hazelrunpack
June 26th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Her stool may firm up as you eliminate the burger and rice and get her back on what she's used to. But I woudn't let it go too much longer--Sherry has been having issues for quite a while

Have you touched base with the vet again? It might be time to call back. Is there mucous in the stool? If there is mucous or blood, it's definitely time to call the vet.

I hope Sherry is feeling better soon! :fingerscr

milton456
June 26th, 2007, 10:09 PM
I did call the vet this afternoon. Apparently, I was doing it wrong with the ground beef. I had to boil it and then drain all the fat out. Before, I was cooking the meat on a frying pan with water. The vet wants me to serve her the "boiled" ground beef mixed in with the white rice for another 3 days. Til Friday and then -only then , then I can add her dry food into the rice & meat formula. We will see how the next 2 days go. I will keep you posted.

Thanks!

milton456
June 29th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Hi, Everyone. Just wanted to give you an update on Sherry. With the exception of the diarrea she is doing excellent. She is her hyper self jumping all over the place and running around. She is still on a strict diet of white rice and boiled ground beef. The diarrea is SLOWLY improving. - She still has it but it is not making a mess of the house. I will see how the weekend goes before calling my vet again for an update. Whatever she has, it is taking a long time for her to get rid of. Maybe its just the food. We will see. I will keep you posted. Thanks for all your input. :)

luckypenny
June 29th, 2007, 07:41 PM
At any point, has Sherry been seen by a vet? I think it's time for a visit since she's been ill for over a week now, especially if she still has diarrhea. It really is not a good sign. Cut out the treats entirely as it probably isn't helping the situation and at the very least, please have the vet examine her stool for parasites.

rainbow
June 29th, 2007, 07:57 PM
I agree. One week with diarrhea is too long. I would take her to the vet asap and a sample of the poop with you so it can be tested. Good luck and let us know what happens. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

milton456
July 8th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Hi, Its been a while since I have updated on Sherry. The diarrhea still continues.- Which has promted me to call the vet. I have waited long enough. Although she is still eating the boiled ground beef with white rice, the diarrhea still is an ongoing issue. Although her regular vet does not work on Mondays, I left a message with the vet's office explaining the issue and I am sure another vet will be on hand to help us out. I do plan to call in sick at work the day I bring her in. I will try to bring a stool sample but what do I put it in? It is diarrhea- a plastic bag?

Otherwise, Sherry is fine, running around jumping all over me. -She is her usual hyper self. I am no doctor but I believe she might have parasites. Only the vet will know for sure.

What can I expect when I bring her to the vet? I hope she gets some kind of antibiotic. I am concerned now. Any advice?

Thanks!

hazelrunpack
July 8th, 2007, 02:35 PM
It might just be the extended diet of rice and boiled meat :fingerscr --although it soothes the tummy and intestine, we try to get them off it as soon as possible for just that reason. There's just no fiber to it.

Getting a stool sample tested is a good idea--and yes, a baggy will do... Make sure it doesn't leak! :p And if it is parasites, at least they're usually easy to treat.

Glad to hear she's at least feeling more her normal self, even if her poops aren't! :o

rainbow
July 8th, 2007, 07:09 PM
How much food do you give Sherry a day?

milton456
July 10th, 2007, 12:28 PM
We just came back from the vet. He prescribed her Famotidine and Carafate/Sucralfate. And a special diet from Hills Bros. She is to take the medication roughly 5-7 days. I was fortunate enough to bring in a loose stool sample this morning. They will analyze it today and check for parasites. I will call them before they close at 5 for the results. If her stool comes back negative, I will keep her on this diet for a week- the vet says. Dr. Cusick wants me to call him on Thursday to give a progess report. He also advised me to bring in a sample of her next hard stool. I have already given her one of the medications just now and she can only have ice for fluid today. Tomorrow, she can have water.

I just hope and pray to God that it is nothing really serious. If she continues to have dirrhea after a few days, then blood work will need to be done to check her liver and kidneys. I hope and pray it does not come down to that.

I did explain to him that the neighborhood has a raccoon problem. Although my Sherry isn't eating anything from the back yard, Dr. Cusick says that she could have picked something up from the yard with her paws. So for the time being, I will keep her indoors and clean up her accidents. In a couple of days, I will walk her around the neighborhood. -But she is a hyper dog and I don't think any leash will be stong enough from snapping. What do I do? I am concerned.:eek: