Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppies with maggots

cammb4
May 2nd, 2004, 03:19 PM
i have 4 puppies that are 1 wk and 2 days old,i have just discovered that they have maggots in their ears and eyes,i don't know what to do.

chico2
May 2nd, 2004, 03:29 PM
I am hoping this is a prank.if not please take the poor puppies to see a vet.
You might start by picking the maggots off.
I saw a bunny once at the vet with maggots on her behind and it was horrific.
Why would puppies get maggots :confused: never heard of it :confused:

Bill & Bob
May 2nd, 2004, 03:30 PM
At risk of being chastized for jumping too quickly for the 'get them to the vet' comment, my first instinct tells me that's exactly what you should do. Wow, maggots in their ears and eyes? Maggots don't go somewhere unless there's a reason. I've never heard of this in puppies before. My friends dog had a sore on it's leg one time and some maggots got there somehow, but these little folks sound so young...
One week and two days old? Where's the mum? Is she cleaning them at all?

Lucky Rescue
May 2nd, 2004, 03:31 PM
Bill & Bob is right. Maggots feed only on festering or dead flesh.

Get the puppies and the mother to the vet PRONTO.

Luba
May 2nd, 2004, 03:50 PM
OH my goodness yes please a vet right now!

Karin
May 2nd, 2004, 04:53 PM
What LR said and the others. I cannot stress this enough....take 'em to the vet now!

*mind boggling...someone can navigate the internet ..identify a maggot but has to ask such a question*

Luba
May 2nd, 2004, 05:02 PM
I just wanted to point out that if you do not get care for these pups immediately that you can be charged criminally with animal cruelty.

melanie
May 2nd, 2004, 05:09 PM
my question is, what conditions are you keeping the pups in? have you ever had pups before?? this doesnt sound normal and would have to happen at the extremes, they must be kept in a pretty bad place to have maggots, i hope to god you have gone to the vet, and if they are in this state so young wouldnt it be better for long term health and lack of adequate care to put them down..

Bill & Bob
May 2nd, 2004, 05:20 PM
Hmm, It's been a while since the original post. Hope they went to the vet. Question, if they were taken from the Mom right away and Mom didn't have a chance to clean them properly, could the "stuff" on them (afterbirth, etc.) be what the maggots are getting at? I've never actually seen puppies born, so I don't have a clue. My mom told me I was almost born in the back of a cab in a snowstorm, but the driver went nuts to get her to the hospital and out of his car before I was born in it because of the mess!
Anyhoo, hope they are ok. Hope you find out what the heck the maggots were at and are able to change their situation so that you never have to even consider putting them down.

Luba
May 2nd, 2004, 06:50 PM
It surely isn't a normal situation.

Quite honestly the only time I have heard of pups having maggots is from puppy mills or abandoned dogs.

If the o/p thought enough to post this I'm sure they're concerned and I'm hoping they went to the vet.

cammb4
May 2nd, 2004, 07:00 PM
for those who felt it was necessary to insult ones intelligence, i will just have you know that the only reason i asked this question is because #1 it's sunday and all the vet's in my area are closed,and#2 i called all the emergency numbers for all of the vets and they all told me the same thing,that there was really nothing they could that we couldn't do here,one said peroxide,one said visine.i was just hoping to get a little advise from somebody who may have dealt with the same situation.and regarding the conditions i kept the puppies,they were outside,they were sheltered,there just happen to be flies here in the woods,however we moved the puppies in the house and that is how we discovered the maggots.and yes i did take the puppies to a vet,because nothing i tried worked,and unfortunately nothing he did either.the puppies had to be put to sleep.the maggots were those of a screwworm fly.this particular maggot is a living flesh eater,and the fly will lay their egg inside of soars or any other opening on an animal or human,and they litteraly eat the host alive.so unfortunately these poor babies didn't stand a chance.and yes they were with their mother and she was cleaning them.

Bill & Bob
May 2nd, 2004, 07:35 PM
Not to diminish your loss, since I'm sure that you must be feeling pretty bad about the puppies, but you have to understand you posted one line in your original post. The one line was very concerning and you didn't give anyone any information other than puppies had maggots in their ears and eyes and you didn't know what to do. People get concerned when they hear something like that.
Nobody was trying to insult your intelligence, and nobody knew that there was no vet available.
Again, sorry for your loss.

chico2
May 2nd, 2004, 10:16 PM
I too am very sorry,I did certainly not mean to insult you in any way,I had just never heard of maggots in eyes and ears and thought maybe you were joking,some joke,eh!!!
I've never heard of a screwworm-fly either,but whatever it is,it sounds terrible,poor little puppies :( I hope the mom is going to be ok.

cammb4
May 2nd, 2004, 10:20 PM
thank you bill & bob! you are right,i guess i did leave alot to the imagination, though i most certainly did not intend to.i was simply in a bit of a panic and was looking for a quick answer from somebody.so i apologize to all who may have got the wrong idea about the way these puppies were living.i love my pets very much and consider them all as part of my family,not just dogs and cats.once again i apologize and thank everyone for their concern.

amaruq
May 3rd, 2004, 08:14 AM
Have you checked the mother dog?

I did a bit of a search on this....http://www.geocities.com/thesciencefiles/maggot/info.html
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2001/010116.htm
http://www.affa.gov.au/content/schools/rl/8091.htm

MBRA518
May 3rd, 2004, 09:00 AM
Have you checked the mother dog?

I did a bit of a search on this....http://www.geocities.com/thesciencefiles/maggot/info.html
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2001/010116.htm

OMG.... sounds like these flys are not usually found around here in Canada, CAMMB4 where are you located?

Luba
May 3rd, 2004, 10:28 AM
For anyone else reading this post who would keep pups outdoors, I hope this sheds some light on the possibility of dangers.

Poor little souls, rest in peace now.

cammb4
May 3rd, 2004, 11:05 AM
no these flies are not found in canada,they are found in the southern u.s.,which is where i happen to be,florida.i have never seen this happen,nor have i heard of this fly until now.apparently it used to be a big problem at one time,and now is trying to make a comeback.so for all in the southern u.s.,beware and take all the neccessary precautions for your pets,escpecially puppies or kittens,or any other babies.

MBRA518
May 3rd, 2004, 11:09 AM
For anyone else reading this post who would keep pups outdoors, I hope this sheds some light on the possibility of dangers.

Yup in the southern hemisphere.

mona_b
May 3rd, 2004, 11:22 AM

I second that Luba.

Something that could have been prevented.

Poor poor babies. :(

MBRA518
May 3rd, 2004, 11:54 AM
I second that Luba.

Something that could have been prevented.

Poor poor babies. :(
Maybe not... Flies are also in our homes. This is just a horrible freak occurance. My condolences to Cammb4

Luba
May 3rd, 2004, 12:51 PM
Yes true flies are in our homes MRBR I agree, but certainly not the abundance as there is outside. As well we can keep a much closer eye on them when they are indoors, esp this young. They're so very vulnerable and at our mercy for our tender care.

Like I was saying before, most of the puppy mills have this problem, esp the outdoor ones. Breeding grounds for flies esp since there is a lot of feces around.

Lucky Rescue
May 3rd, 2004, 01:25 PM
I just have to say that the chances of a dog and litter of puppies - living in the home and being observed - getting this kind of infestation that goes unnoticed until it's critical and/or fatal is kind of remote.

mona_b
May 3rd, 2004, 01:25 PM
So very true...It's one thing for house flies,but it's another if they are different flies that are in the woods.I know I have been munched on in the woods,and they were not your common house flies.I'm sorry,but it's just sad that they were not able to be born inside.

I'm just curious,how were they sheltered when they were outside?

Lucky Rescue
May 3rd, 2004, 01:28 PM
I know I have been munched on in the woods,and they were not your common house flies

Very true! We have deer flies, horse flies etc. here and if my dog lived outside she would be literally eaten alive by them!

Luba
May 3rd, 2004, 01:37 PM
I'm very sorry for the loss of the pups. Thank you for sharing the information regarding the puppies. If there is anything you think that other people can benefit from your expience and new knowledge please post it, It sure will be helpful to others.

Ugh with flies and mosquitos!

mona_b
May 3rd, 2004, 02:43 PM
Oh man YES...The horse flies......I hate them....Those are the ones I'm talking about...Lots of those on my sisters farm.And also when my aunt had her farm.

chico2
May 3rd, 2004, 03:29 PM
I did not want to say too much out of fear of being deemed rude,but this would not have happened had the puppies been inside,but it's too late now..
I don't think this would happen over night,since it was so bad the poor pups had to be put down.I suspect they had been unattended for a little while.
But then again,I know nothing of Screwworm flies or how fast the eggs become maggots :confused:
The bunny I saw at the vet,had been in a cage outside and not checked on regularly other than feeding.His whole backside was a terrible mess and even my vet got sick from removing the maggots,it apparently happened because of the feeces in the cage,the bunny was ok,would have a sore butt for a while.
I think they are horrible things,we get them sometimes in the summer in the garbage-bags,but since I stopped putting leftovers in there it's better,my crow now feasts on leftovers every day :D

Luba
May 3rd, 2004, 04:31 PM
This is a nasty little fly, I did a little research and will post it!

BTW to the person who made the original post, if you have other pets / animals they need to be checked thoroughly. If there are any other pups or dogs bring them indoors. First check all folds of skin, underarms, under tail, ears, inside and out, under chin and neck, between toes etc...

The flies apparently lay on an open sore, so these pups may have had little bites from other insects or something...??

Pls make sure the other dogs and / cats are safe from this, it looks awful (Shuddering)

>>>>>INFO<<<<<

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/health/3958.html

Wounding is usually a prerequisite for SWF strike. This may be wounding that occurs naturally such as the navels of newborn animals, or as a result of husbandry practices such as branding or castrating. It can even be from wounds as minor as tick bites. In sheep the fly can strike in the absence of a wound. In sheep the inner corner of the eye and the crutch are common sites for flystrike. The female fly lays her eggs on the edges of a wound and the larvae hatch within 1220 hours. The larvae burrow deeply into tissue and feed causing extensive destruction. Wounds heal if treated rapidly but if left untreated may become reinfested causing persistent lesions, weight loss and occasionally death. Struck wounds have a strong, offensive odour and animals lick the wounds frequently. The greatest loss of animals is in newborns suffering from navel strike.

*quarantine and movement controls to prevent movement of infested animals
*decontamination and disinsection of larval-contaminated areas
*tracing and surveillance to determine the extent and distribution of the fly
*treatment of wounds and prophylactic treatment of animals
*zoning to define infected and disease-free areas.

The female fly lays up to 250 eggs on the edge of a wound which can be anything from a minor scratch or puncture, such as a tick bite, to a branding, dehorning (removing the horns) or castration (removing the testes) wound. The eggs hatch within 24 hours to develop into maggots or larvae which, with the aid of powerful mouth parts and rings of sharp hooks around their bodies (hence the name 'screw-worm'), rip, chew and tear their way into the flesh below the wound.

Untreated strikes lead to death, with the symptoms and severity of the effects on the animal varying according to the site of the strike.

This site shows a close up of the fly larvae
ICK!!!

http://www.scienceimage.csiro.au/image_page.cfm?Image=384&CID=28&SID=0&DID=0

http://www.scienceimage.csiro.au/image_page.cfm?Image=383&CID=28&SID=0&DID=0

chico2
May 3rd, 2004, 06:39 PM
I didnot look at the picture :eek: but this must be one nasty fly.
So,I guess I was wrong,it does happen fast,probably not much the owner could have done,especially if the mom is an outside dog.

Luba
May 3rd, 2004, 06:40 PM
They look like hookworms Anita :eek:

Kevin Fusco
July 31st, 2005, 08:51 PM
Okay this is the worst day of my life.

I am housesitting for the people across the street. They have 3 dogs, one of them stays outside all the time, except at night. This afternoon I noticed a few flies were around the dog, but I didn't notice anything else. Later that evening, I noticed that the dog had maggots. The maggots were covering her eyes and ears, the dog became blind, and deaf. I didn't know what to do, I researched online, I found this.

There is a huge spot on the dogs head that is now being eaten away by maggots as I speak. I don't know what to do, I'm really upset. It's not my dog, and I left several voice mails and messages on the hotel answering machine for the people I'm housesitting for. I feel the dog is going to die in my hands, and as of now it is suffering.

I brought the dog in, and put it in the pen with the other dogs. The other dogs were acting strange because of it. I'm scared because they may share the same water bowl and I don't know what to do.

What can I do? I don't even know what happened...maybe the dog cut her head on something and then a screw fly came and planted the maggots or something. I know it's not my fault but I feel really guitly because this dog is my responsibility and is suffering right now.

By the way I live in Long Island New York, I have never heard of a screw fly. However, the house and backyard in which this happened, is located next to a park. I don't know if this information is relevant, but it is all I know. I didn't see it happen and I don't know why, but I'm really upset.

White Wolf
July 31st, 2005, 09:04 PM
If you read the thread, you'll see that the main advice is to bring the animal to the vet. We can't help you if you don't go to the vet.