Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Old Cocker Spaniel

Krat
June 23rd, 2007, 03:07 AM
My Spaniel is 12 years old and hasn't had anything really too serious up until now. The left side of his face is droopy, no muscle tone at all. His ear droops, gums droop, and has a hard time blinking in that one eye. He started acting strange after I took him for a long walk, panting very heavy and staying up all night whining and having a hard time sleeping.

I took him to the vet a day later, and he did the emptying of the anal glands thing. He continued with the short breaths and looking uncomfortable. So I decided to take him back and he put him on Deramaxx for possible arthritis pain. After being on that medication he seemed to be wired. Panting extremely heavy about an hour after I gave him the pill.

Another thing he does is dart his eyes back and forth slowly. It kinda popped up the same time the left side of his face started slumping. The vet really doesn't know what's wrong with him other than he's probably got a little arthritis pain. He eats and drinks and craps just fine.

I really don't know what happened to his face, or what is causing his abnormal behavior. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

badger
June 23rd, 2007, 08:09 AM
I think you need to see another vet right away. This does not sound like arthritis to me. I would also stop giving him the medication until you find out what ails him. He may have had a stroke. Don't delay!

hazelrunpack
June 23rd, 2007, 09:37 AM
It does sound like it could be stroke or some kind of nerve damage, Krat. I agree with badger that perhaps you should see another vet, and quickly. :fingerscr Good luck and please keep us posted!

erykah1310
June 23rd, 2007, 09:58 AM
I agree, I would see another vet and stop the meds.
I'm so sorry that you are going through this.:grouphug: its always hard when they start to show signs of their age.

Hogansma
June 23rd, 2007, 01:14 PM
I agree. Go to a vet immediately. It may be Horner's syndrome that is caused I believe, from an ear infection that inflames a certain nerve. Then the eye closes and affects control all along the nerve. My dog had this and it just took an antibiotic shot and pills, and cleaning of the ear. She turned around very fast. You can look this up on the net. I'm not a vet though and it can be soooo many other things. Get to the vet asap and please let us know what happens. Good luck.

rainbow
June 23rd, 2007, 02:28 PM
I also agree. Please get him to another vet asap. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes: