Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

eyes/nose

abbysma
June 22nd, 2007, 10:49 PM
Greetings from a newby:)
I have a 6 yr old malti-poo who has a sore that won't heal near her eye as well as the area near the base of her nostrils getting flakey and crusty. She's been on prednisone but it's not helping. She's going for a biopsy in 2 weeks. Vet thinks maybe immune mediated. Anyone have any other thoughts? Also, how can I keep these areas clean without hurting her. The eye sore starts to bleed if when I try to clean away the scabs that stick to her hair. She is also under treatment for an ear infection...poor girl is falling apart!
Thanks

hazelrunpack
June 23rd, 2007, 09:37 AM
Poor girl. :grouphug: I hope the vet can figure something out for you so your girl is more comfortable! :fingerscr

(Sorry I have no useful advice for you, but perhaps someone else on the board can help out. This'll bump this thread up so it's easier to see.)

Dr Lee
June 23rd, 2007, 06:04 PM
Biopsy is a great diagnostic tool. It can often obtain a straight forward diagnosis which leads to an effective therapeutic plan.

What other tests have been run? How much pred? Any other medications? Do you have pictures?

Good Luck:pawprint:

abbysma
June 23rd, 2007, 07:58 PM
When I first noticed something, it was Dec.06 My vet prescribed BNPH, believing it was perhaps some minor irritant. Dogs had been in the kennel over the Christmas holidays, so I thought it was something she had gotten into or from another dog. I called the kennel and there was nothing odd there. So, after about 6 weeks of ointment we went back as ointment wasn't working. Vet put her on 5 mg pred. every 12 hours for a month. I asked her also to checked her ears as I thought something was amiss. There was no ear infection so we focused on the eye. I also noticed Abby's nose was crusty around the nostril and we decided to see if the pred would resolve that too. There was some positive result from that therapy so after 1 month of that we went to 5mg of pred every other day. This seemed to stop all progress and the lesions seemed to worsen. We decided to finish the pred and wait a month to do the biopsy to assure the pred was out of Abby's system. So, here I am today...Abby's ear is indeed infected and is being treated with Surolan and she is on Demacap once a dayas my vet feels this may help the sores somewhat.
I have also just noticed her skin is very dry and flakey with a few slight scabby areas, and her hair seems to be thinning and going grey in areas. I am trying to keep her face clean but it's not easy when you have goo everywhere, getting stuck in her hair. I'm afraid to bathe her as I don't want to irritate those sore areas/ears and/or dry her skin out even more. I wipe away what I can without causing too much dicomfort. She eats a combo of Royal Canine Calorie Control and T/D Canine.
Could this be a food allergy or would you go the immune mediated route? I'll try to get some pictures.
Thanks, Abbysma

glitterless
June 24th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Can't prednisone supress the immune system over time? Would prescribing prednisone really be a good option for this dog?