Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What kind of cat is this??

kathryn
June 22nd, 2007, 07:44 PM
I first saw her Last fall around November/October and she has a twin sister (but the sister got sent to a shelter to get a home) and at first they were superrrr feral but then i got this one fixed and the other one got sent away and now shes the nicest girl. I call her Crystal or Chris for short.

i was just wondering if she is a certain breed of cat or not. Her twin sister and here were totally identical except for crystals face has a bit more white on the nose. but i mean superrr identical. they each have a matching diamond on their forehead (hence her sister being named diamond and her crystal)

I broke my digital camera so i had to take these with my Macbook so they were hard to get cause she moves around alot.. shes like hyperactive lol

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/8003/photo371mz2.jpg
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6720/photo375wy0.jpg
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6157/photo378wx3.jpg
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/8699/photo380ox9.jpg
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9297/photo384xn1.jpg
http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/6098/photo385me4.jpg

Feet = White
Belly = White
Tail= Striped grey and black similar to a raccoons tail.
Eyes = Changing shades of green

Is she anything special or just a regular mixed breed alleycat? She looks kind of rare and elegant to me

And ideas :p

jiorji
June 22nd, 2007, 08:13 PM
some tabby mixed with cute

JanM
June 22nd, 2007, 09:10 PM
I have no idea what breed she may be - or mix - but she sure is adorable! She's a real beauty with a very mischevious face :)

kathryn
June 22nd, 2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks :) I love her to bits shes soo sweet now. She loves to roll around.

Would a tuxedo and a tabby mix make sense? because shes got the white areas like a tuxedo, face chest and belly.

I just don't understand how she ended up with a raccoon tail O_O Its just so weird :laughing:

hazelrunpack
June 22nd, 2007, 09:28 PM
Well, she's obviously a cat of the beautiful variety! :lovestruck: Is that a breed? :p

Gorgeous kitty, kathryn, whatever her heritage! :cloud9:

Frenchy
June 22nd, 2007, 09:44 PM
Tabby mix with calico / tortoise ? (but calico is not a breed but a colour) real cute !

CyberKitten
June 22nd, 2007, 09:53 PM
She is not a purebred if that is what you are asking but oh my, she is soooo cute!! if you are considering competing in any competitions, you could enter her in the household cat category - she would be a domestic short hair. She is also a tabby - which is not a breed but a description.

Tabby is a kind of colouring or pattern. There are silver tabbies, mackerel tabbies, brown tabbies, and various combinations of tabbies. According to a book on cats I have (one of the many, lol), "The word comes from French tabis, which was earlier atabis, and in medieval Latin attabi. The initial origin of the word seems to be from the Attabiyah section of Baghdad where a type of striped silk was made that was later used to describe cats."

In cat genetics, pattern is unrelated to color, and so the tabby pattern may occur in any cat color, including tortoiseshell (tortoiseshell tabby cats are often called 'torbies'). White spotting of any level can also appear in combination with tabby patterns. That seems to be the case with your girl. She may have a bit of torbie in her - with the colouring I see but it's very small. She's not a classic tabby but she is definitely a tabby cat!

Genetically, the tabby patterns are due to 3 distinct gene loci and one modifier. The agouti gene, A/a, controls whether or not the tabby pattern is expressed. The dominant A reveals the underlying tabby pattern, while the recessive non-agouti or "hypermelanistic" allele, a, prevents it. Solid-color (black or blue) cats have the aa combination, hiding the tabby pattern, although sometimes a suggestion of the underlying pattern can be seen (called "ghost striping"). However, the O gene for orange color suppresses the aa genotype, so there is no such thing as a solid orange cat.

Your Chris is interesting genetically in that she has some orange, a little white but the dominant A/a gene seems to have won out here. The most common and primary tabby pattern gene, Mc/mc decides what the pattern of the stripes will be - it's also known as the "wild-type" gene for reasons I am unsure of. This produces the mackerel striped tabby - I am guessing from the pictures - which is hard to do because I find even when I take pix of my cats, they look darker or lighter depending on the time of day, amt of light and my ability or usually lack thereof to photograph well, lol

The classic tabby (mc) is a recessive gene.

The ticked pattern is on a different gene locus than the mackerel and classic tabby patterns and is epistatic ( gene that determines whether or not a trait will be expressed) to the other patterns. A dominant mutation, Ta / ta, masks any other tabby pattern, producing a non-patterned or 'agouti' tabby with virtually no stripes or bars. If the ticked pattern gene is present, any other tabby pattern is masked. Cats homozygous for the ticked allele (Ta / Ta) have less barring than cats heterozygous for the ticked allele.

So, she is a mackerel or gray tabby but the white and orange spots would seem to indicate there is some torby or torties in her background. This is pure conjecture on my part though - you could have a DNA analysis done to assess the exact background from a company like this:

http://www.animalsdna.com/

If you are like me however, you may just want to enjoy her!! She is a cutie and your beloved kitty that is what is most important!!

She is extremely cute!!!

pags
June 22nd, 2007, 10:17 PM
Oh wow she's pretty... I love the orange diamond on the forehead... She reminds me a LOT of Keebler (a stray kitty we briefly took care of til we found her a new home) -- colorwise, anyway.

kathryn
June 23rd, 2007, 09:15 AM
Ohh wow that cat does look like crystal, thats so strange!

Thanks everyone! And thanks Cyberkitten for explaining it so well. Im likely going to put her in shows but last time I had her in a cage to get her fixed was back when she was still feral and she was very upset. But ive got to get her to the vets first to get checked out before i can enter her in a show anyways, so if she does good with that then I'll put her into the household cat division.

id like to bring her in except my cats dont like strange cats and i dont want her getting hurt. She doesnt mind being outside though she loves to chase the birds and climb up trees. I've got her a shelter,food and water though so shes alll set.

Wish i knew where her sister was. maybe the shelter still has her =/ i called like 5 times and they always forget to call me back >_<

ancientgirl
June 23rd, 2007, 02:53 PM
She's incredibly cute. I was looking at some cat books yesterday in the bookstore and one of them said that a common trait in tabby's are the "M" on their little forehead. She certainly looks like she's got that pattern.

rainbow
June 23rd, 2007, 03:04 PM
She's very cute. :lovestruck: Looks alot like our very first cat. :rip: :candle: