Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sand In Eye

BrookeB32
June 22nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
My dog likes to play and roll in the sand. When he is done there is tons of sand in his eye. It doesnt come out easily, how can I get it out without scratching his eye with the sand or my finger.

Dr Lee
June 22nd, 2007, 01:50 PM
Saline flush (can find it in the contact lens section). Do not use visine, etc...

hazelrunpack
June 22nd, 2007, 01:53 PM
We always keep a bottle of sterile saline solution around. You can find it in the contact lens aisle at your pharmacy or discount store--just make sure you get the plain sterile saline, not a cleaning solution for contact lenses with other ingredients in it.

Sometimes it's a struggle to get our dogs to hold still long enough to flush their eyes with a stream from the bottle--LOL they see the bottle coming and go into "squirm mode". :frustrated: So we also keep eye-droppers on hand. They seem less intimidated by the dropper than the bigger bottle and we can usually irrigate the eye with enough of the saline to get out most of the debris.

If you can't get it all out, though, a vet visit might be in order. Abraded corneas can be painful and dangerous...

hazelrunpack
June 22nd, 2007, 01:55 PM
he he Great minds think alike...some of us are just more verbose and slower at the keyboard! :laughing:

Dr Lee
June 22nd, 2007, 07:18 PM
A good answer can't be said too many times:). I like your description! The 'squirm mode' often flushes my pants and floor with saline as much as the patients eyes. ;)

hazelrunpack
June 22nd, 2007, 07:31 PM
The 'squirm mode' often flushes my pants and floor with saline as much as the patients eyes. ;)

:laughing: I can't tell you how many times my kitchen floor has been washed with the saline runoff! :D