Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

*sigh* cat ate chocolate

LittleMomma
June 21st, 2007, 06:20 PM
I'm hoping someone will reassure me on this. Jeez, we can't catch a break here! One of the kitties just ate a piece of Cookie Crisp cereal - only one piece - but it does have chocolate "chips" in it. I gave her a bowl of food right after so that's not the only thing in her system.

SableCollie
June 21st, 2007, 06:37 PM
Luckily that is a very small amount of chocolate! I'd watch her carefully, and call your vet for advice...they will probably tell you to observe her carefully for a few days.

And now we all know that you eat sugary cereal at your house. (I used to love cookie crisp) :D

LittleMomma
June 21st, 2007, 06:50 PM
she's a fairly large kitty cat... about 16-17 lbs at last vet visit (she's on a diet). I'm hoping that her weight works in her favor. What should I watch for?... hyperactivity and whatnot?

jessi76
June 21st, 2007, 06:58 PM
http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-20.htm

you can always call your local vet, and/or the animal poison control center for advice.

SableCollie
June 21st, 2007, 07:00 PM
Lethargy, muscle tremors, vomiting, diarrhea, increased urination/thirst...anything that seems "not right".

17 lbs would be a really big kitty! :eek: :)

LittleMomma
June 21st, 2007, 07:51 PM
thanks. I read the box, it has "chocolate flavored" chips which are cocoa and other junk. I'm keeping a close eye on her. Our vet has 24 hr emergency service, just in case.

krdahmer
June 22nd, 2007, 12:03 AM
Yikes! They certainly keep you on your toes over there don't they?:rolleyes:
Hope this one turns out all right as I'm sure it will....:goodvibes:

LoL my Buddy is bigger than my nephew right now!! 18lbs... but he carries it well.

LittleMissLevi
June 22nd, 2007, 12:08 AM
I wouldn't be too worried about such a small amount of chocolate in your kitty. That small amount should hurt him at all, just keep an eye on it. It is not recommended to give cats or dogs chocolate but a small amount won't hurt them every once in a while as an extra special treat, such as a small amount on a doggie cookie.

I once had a frantic phone call at the clinic I worked for from a woman's puppy that got into a whole bottle of nesquik chocolate syrup and the puppy was fine. Many other similar calls such as your situation and the only one that ever came in that was serious was a dog that at a few large chocolate bars of solid chocolate.

LittleMomma
June 22nd, 2007, 01:12 PM
Well, crisis seems to have been averted. Watched her closely last night and this morning and she's happy as a clam as usual. No idea how one stray Cookie Crisp piece got out of the box, but the box is far far away from kitty reach now. :frustrated:

badger
June 22nd, 2007, 03:02 PM
Siimon the cat once ate a marijuana brownie at warp speed. I hovered over him for several hours but all he did was eat a huge bowl of food and fall fast asleep :laughing: :laughing:

angeldogs
June 23rd, 2007, 02:01 AM
Siimon the cat once ate a marijuana brownie at warp speed. I hovered over him for several hours but all he did was eat a huge bowl of food and fall fast asleep :laughing: :laughing:
Isn't that what usually happens.get munchies then sleep:laughing: