Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

getting your dog fixed

TYSON24
June 21st, 2007, 07:05 PM
Hey ppl, I have a Miniature dachsund and wanted to get her fixed. I just wanted to know if anyone knows approx. when they start having their period.

SableCollie
June 21st, 2007, 07:06 PM
A female dog usually goes into heat anywhere from 4-8 months old. It's best to get them spayed before this happens.

mummummum
June 21st, 2007, 07:14 PM
Exactly Sablecollie ~ why risk an unwanted pregnancy ??? And I think there is a lower risk of complications if it is done before first heat.

Great to see another responsible dog owner concerned about their dogs health Tyson !

SableCollie
June 21st, 2007, 07:20 PM
Yes it is healthier for dogs and cats!
Research indicates that dogs spayed prior to their first heat have less than a half of one percent chance of experiencing mammary cancer as compared to an eight percent chance after the second heat.

Cats spayed after their first heat have a seven times greater chance of suffering from mammary cancer than cats spayed prior to their first heat.
http://www.oregonvma.org/petowners/spayneuter.asp#5

Dr Lee
June 22nd, 2007, 12:00 PM
SableCollie,

Great quote - important information for everyone to know!!:thumbs up

satchelp
June 22nd, 2007, 06:01 PM
SableCollie,

Great quote - important information for everyone to know!!:thumbs up

It is important information; however unfortunately this study data is often misinterpreted to mean 'absolute risk' as opposed to what it really represents, i.e., 'relative risk'. The absolute risk in intact females is actually 1.89%, and in spayed females it is only .05% .. very different from the '1 in 4' or '26%' number that is often quoted when discussing canine mammary tumours in intact females.

That said, it is still a significant reduction in risk over that of intact females.