Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pics of my animals

MBRA518
May 2nd, 2004, 09:05 AM
OK... finally got around to uploading new pic for my grand mother to see... thought I'd post the link here too

Here are the house pets:
http://community.webshots.com/album/116493744gyYQlD

And the too big for the house pets :D
http://community.webshots.com/album/116492188NXpqKN

Lucky Rescue
May 2nd, 2004, 10:34 AM
Rosie is very beautiful, and the picture of Peanut bunny-kicking her toy is adorable.

She looks EXACTLY like my feral mommacat!

Luba
May 2nd, 2004, 10:42 AM
Okay, what on earth did Rosie have to flash to get those beads?Ahem, young lady, control yourself !! LOL

Peanut, perfect name...very cute kitty.

Luc and Tommy are magnificent, very very nice pics.

Tx so much for sharing

:D

Tommy looks like he enjoyed the blanket!

Okay two questions :D
What kind of horses are they and what was the charity ride for?

chico2
May 2nd, 2004, 11:06 AM
Great pics!!! Love Peanut and Rosie and the horses are beautiful!!!

MBRA518
May 2nd, 2004, 02:55 PM
Okay two questions :D
What kind of horses are they and what was the charity ride for?

Both horses are pure bred Paints, but Tommy is not marked. Also Tommy is not registered... she came from a PMU (pregnant mare urine) Farm and was saved from slaughter at an auction at 5 months old by my father.

The Charity ride was for a therapeutic riding organization, where they use horses as therapy for mentally and physically disabled people. Riding enhances balance and motor control and there also seems to be a wonderful connection with the horses that brings people out of their shells, it increases self esteem and confidence.

Peanut is actually the name she came with from the shelter...we thought it suited her... especially the "nut" part... LOL

Luba
May 2nd, 2004, 03:53 PM
With regards to the charity ride, that is wonderful MBRA!! Do they need any speicial riding gear, or is it mainly a handler that assists them (such as yourself?)

PMU isn't this for drug companies, specifically for the use of hormone treatment. Premarin (sp) I could be wrong!

Newcastle is a nice area, I have friends near there!

amaruq
May 2nd, 2004, 04:03 PM
I'm in love with Tommy! Just gorgeous!!!!!!!! Very cool too doing the charity work. i have heard animals can be used in different ways to help mentally and physically challenge people! WTG!

Rosie and Peanut seem to be great buds lol! They are super looking too :D

Bill & Bob
May 2nd, 2004, 05:31 PM
Animals are involved in all sorts of things. I worked in the prison system for years, and here in BC at a few of the institutions they have set up something like a shelter there for sick and neglected animals. The inmates take care of them once they have been trained to do so. The program works incredibly well with both the women and the men. You'd be surprised at how loving and caring the inmate volunteers are. Or maybe if you've been to a prison or know someone who has, you wouldn't be surprised. Despite doing something wrong, they are still human.
A guy I worked with was a volunteer. It was amazing to see a guy who'd been in for almost 20 years, holding a cat with one eye and all sorts of other health problems. This fellow was one of the most hardened men I'd ever met, but he melted like butter with this cat.
It's just neat to see these animals in need not being judgemental and offering unconditional love to people who have been held in judgement, some since the day they were born.

mona_b
May 2nd, 2004, 06:38 PM
Very beautiful pics...

I LOVE horses. :D

Thanks for sharing.... :)

MBRA518
May 2nd, 2004, 07:57 PM
With regards to the charity ride, that is wonderful MBRA!! Do they need any speicial riding gear, or is it mainly a handler that assists them (such as yourself?)

PMU isn't this for drug companies, specifically for the use of hormone treatment. Premarin (sp) I could be wrong!

Newcastle is a nice area, I have friends near there!

I don't think they usually use speacial tack... but they do have what they call side walkers for those with bad balance - so one walker on each side and another person handling the horse. I unfortunately don't help out with one of these places, although I'd love to, because there aren't any close by... the ride we went to was a 1.5 hr trailer ride.

That is exactly what PMU farms are. It is often a very sad case as the foals are simply by products of the industry and often end up going for slaughter. There are rescue orgs for these foals, but many of the foals are hard to place because of bad breeding. There are some farms that tried to breed quality registered horses so they can also sell the stock, one of these is where tommy came from, but the year tommy was born was the big drought out west, so they couldn't (or wouldn't) afford to feed them, so many went for slaughter anyway. In an attempt to make some money people brought large loads of the foals to the east coast... it didn't work as my dad bought Tommy for $300... just as a comparison it cost me $600 to have her shipped to Ontario from Cape Breton... which was 1/2 price as it was a friend of ours that was coming through with a empty trailer anyway.

Fortunately the PMU industry is quickly depleating as a synthetic form of the drug that works as well or better has been found. Although that creates an interm problem of finding homes for all the mares and stallions from the farms going out of business.

chico2
May 3rd, 2004, 07:24 AM
Bill,I saw a documentary about just that a while ago and was struck by,how even the most hardened criminal would turn into mush over a mama cat and her kittens in his care.
There was also a great big man in jail for life,taking care of a young dog,bringing him back to health and whom he later had to give up to a new home.The tears streaming down his face(and mine!!)where very real when he said his final good-bye :(
I think it's an excellent idea,they should have shelters for unwanted animals in every jail,great therapy for both the unloved animals and prison-inmates.
But of course that would involve $$$$$$ and would not be profitable in any way,just a very humane way to give a purpose for both animals and humans on the wrong track.

chico2
May 3rd, 2004, 07:34 AM
MBRA,I was aware of the use of pregnant mares for the hormone-drugs,but not about what eventually happens to the horses no more profitable.
I had this naive notion that most people love horses and they would retire at someones farm,but of course that's not the case.Thank you for the insight and info however sad it might be.At least some get rescued,as was the case with your dad's horse.

Luba
May 3rd, 2004, 10:44 AM
Yes I am naive as well as Anita....

Are there many of these drug farms for horses in our country?

I only saw once on tv how they keep them stalled to collect the urine and it made me sick with grief.

MBRA518
May 3rd, 2004, 11:30 AM
Yes I am naive as well as Anita....

Are there many of these drug farms for horses in our country?

I only saw once on tv how they keep them stalled to collect the urine and it made me sick with grief.

Well I know how most of you work with rescued animals and probably see horrible things as it is... so I wont post the links.. they are quite upsetting.

Yes there are quite a few of these farms... almost all in the industry are in Canada, mostly Alberta, but there are some closer by.

When the premarin industry reduced the quotas by near 50% this year, they unfortunately did it after the mares had been bred back for the next season and the hay and feed bought and in the barns.... this left the effected farms in pretty bad shape... thousands of pregnant mares needing homes and money lost in hay they didn't need. The sad part though was the pregnant mares being sold for meat.... it was something like 30,000 horses needing homes, most due to give birth in the spring (which of course will nearly double the numbers). Many of the PMU foal rescue orgs jumped in to help as much as they could... and many did find homes, horses have been sent as far as California, North Carolina and the Maritimes.

It really depends on the farm how bad it is. Many of the mares are not well handled... they are run into stalls and connected to the collection harness... most spend their whole winter in the barns in one small stall... the lucky ones get short times of daily turn out. Many of these mares are so afraid or not used to people that simply haltering them was a chore for the rescue organizations. It just isn't that easy to find homes for older unbroke and unhandled horses, little lone that fact that most have poor or unknown breeding. Some farms had good breeding practices, that makes the foals easier to place, but even then they are not trained as a home bred foal is, and are often quite wild when sent to their new homes.

Chico2... Tommy was rescued by my Dad, but he has since gave her to me... Dad would have trained and sold her (that's what he does) but he liked her too much and knew she would have a forever home with me - he also thought she would be pretty safe for me to train - Dad's :rolleyes: always worrying :D

Luba
May 3rd, 2004, 11:49 AM
What a shame, so very very sad.

Thank you so much for explaining this to me. I assume there are rescues and charity organizations that are trying to help these poor horses.

Shameful since the drug companies make so much money that they can't actually take care of the horses better or provide adequate care for them subsequent to them being used for this purpose.

We truly should be ashamed as a human race what we do to these animals.

I wish I had a farm!

It may be worthwhile for you to post a link for any rescues you know of that deal with horses, under the adoption section or even general topics. Even if someone can't actually adopt a horse they may be interesting in sponsoring one financially :D or donating to the rescue.

MBRA518
May 3rd, 2004, 01:12 PM
It may be worthwhile for you to post a link for any rescues you know of that deal with horses, under the adoption section or even general topics. Even if someone can't actually adopt a horse they may be interesting in sponsoring one financially :D or donating to the rescue.

Sure I'll round up the links when I get home and post them

Luba
May 3rd, 2004, 01:38 PM
Wonderful Idea!